VA governor in "blackface" controversy

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/virginia/article_67fdd682-2662-11e9-a7d1-c7ed70e09b50.html

The Democrat governor of Virginia did something really, really stupid 40 years ago in med school-dressed in blackface with someone posing as a member of the KKK.  Sure, back then it might have been just sophomoric and not offensive, but in 2019 this is not how you further your political career! 

Oddly, if he was a republican the MSM would be all over this. 

Guest Godless

I've been seeing condemnations and calls for resignation all over Twitter (AKA the outrage machine that sometimes has actual news sprinkled in) today. Haven't checked in on the MSM outlets, but word has definitely gotten out and libs/Dems ain't happy.

Edited by Godless

4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Someone had this info in their back pocket, finally got reason to pull it out.

Makes me think he got outed by his own party.  It’s quite unbelievable that Republicans had this info when Northam was running ads with a confederate flag carrying  truck chasing a black kid and never used it.

Ralph Northam says it is not him in the picture

An update.

I cannot tell if he is actually in the picture or not. 

HOWEVER, that picture is even worse than someone in blackface.  The party itself seems to have resonated with a  racist type atmosphere.  The other individual is dressed as a KKK individual, and the appearance makes it clear that those two would seem to be HIGHLY racist individuals.  I can understand the outrage and if I were in Virginia and I had a Democrat representative who gave a pass on the picture would equally outrage me.

I also agree that if it were a Republican those same democrats giving him a pass would be outraged outright. 

On the otherhand it may be too quick to judge.  I couldn't tell if it was actually him or not from the picture posted in the News, even if it was on his page of the yearbook.  It wasn't clear enough in the New picture posted.  Maybe it was clearer in person or in another copy or such. 

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

Ralph Northam says it is not him in the picture

An update.

I cannot tell if he is actually in the picture or not. 

HOWEVER, that picture is even worse than someone in blackface.  The party itself seems to have resonated with a  racist type atmosphere.  The other individual is dressed as a KKK individual, and the appearance makes it clear that those two would seem to be HIGHLY racist individuals.  I can understand the outrage and if I were in Virginia and I had a Democrat representative who gave a pass on the picture would equally outrage me.

I also agree that if it were a Republican those same democrats giving him a pass would be outraged outright. 

On the otherhand it may be too quick to judge.  I couldn't tell if it was actually him or not from the picture posted in the News, even if it was on his page of the yearbook.  It wasn't clear enough in the New picture posted.  Maybe it was clearer in person or in another copy or such. 

Haha.

Out of ALL the pictures he could have chosen for his yearbook page he chooses THAT picture and now claims it’s not him?

Hahaha!

And yea, he calls himself Ralph “Coonman” Northam.

Anyway, the funny thing is, Republican voters don’t pin you to the wall over a yearbook picture.  But... Kavanaugh Karma went out to getcha. 

In any case, I’m convinced Northam got sacrificed by his own party.  After all, Lt. Gov. Fairfax was a high ranking official in Planned Parenthood without the baggage.  And Tran gets to save face for calling for Northam’s resignation.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator

If you are going into politics, you better accept that fact that your past is going to come back to haunt you. It's not fair sometimes, but it's reality. If you do not wish to have your dirty laundry thrown around in public, don't go into politics.  

And yes, all of us (including me, for sure)  have done things we'd rather not have discovered. So I have a small degree of compassion for him, even though I disagree with him on 90% of issues. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

If you are going into politics, you better accept that fact that your past is going to come back to haunt you. 

Politics, or become someone the left hates.  Or there's a popular shift in the cultural wind like the #meetoo movement or the 'n' word-is-now-unacceptable-shift.  Dr. Laura, Harvey Weinstein and Garrison Keillor are examples.  

The politically correct movement has teeth and will ruin you.  And even though it's (current U.S.) roots are in progressive leftism, by it's very nature, they will eat their own too.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

by it's very nature, they will eat their own too.

Agree 100%. I'm a scumbag, I take immense glee in watching the PC crowd cannibalize one of their own. 

Guest Godless
3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Agree 100%. I'm a scumbag, I take immense glee in watching the PC crowd cannibalize one of their own. 

If we end up with four more years of Trump, it'll be because of the left's never-ending purity tests on its own candidates. 

Honestly, I’d be more willing to give him a pass; except that he and his buddies tarred Gillespie as a racist for much less, and just in the last month they made “when confronted, smile politely” a racist act.

Its not the unfortunate past that gets me; it’s the rank hypocrisy.  I hope he doesn’t resign—it makes his party look all the more ridiculous.  

The “it-was-me-and-I’m-sorry—wait,-wait,-it-wasn’t-me-after-all” farce only makes this juicier.  

Guest MormonGator
41 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Honestly, I’d be more willing to give him a pass; except that he and his buddies tarred Gillespie as a racist for much less, and just in the last month they made “when confronted, smile politely” a racist act.

Its not the unfortunate past that gets me; it’s the rank hypocrisy.  I hope he doesn’t resign—it makes his party look all the more ridiculous.  

The “it-was-me-and-I’m-sorry—wait,-wait,-it-wasn’t-me-after-all” farce only makes this juicier.  

I saw someone tweet out "Odd how no celebrity or social justice warrior  is talking about how they want to punch Northam in the face. You would think they would line right up!" 
Not my line, but I thought it was funny. And insightful. 

Guest MormonGator

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/02/02/ralph-northam-virginia-governor-blackface-michael-jackson/2756133002/?fbclid=IwAR3X2kWAZ-vmCT0dlY4CbZmc5tVigoctDsy5Y1fm4JcDuQ333Dxt0WY0es0

@Just_A_Guy my friend, you've changed my mind completely on this issue. I hope he stays in office too. The hits just keep on coming with this guy! 

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

If you are going into politics, you better accept that fact that your past is going to come back to haunt you. It's not fair sometimes, but it's reality. If you do not wish to have your dirty laundry thrown around in public, don't go into politics.  

And yes, all of us (including me, for sure)  have done things we'd rather not have discovered. So I have a small degree of compassion for him, even though I disagree with him on 90% of issues. 

Just out of curiousity, how common is it in US political campaigns for people to throw mud at the family members of the candidate? Here in Australia, the unwritten law that pretty much all of the media abides by is that if a family member has in no way been visibly or publicly involved in a campaign, in any way, then they are pretty much off limits as a target for mud, but if they are seen to engage in political activities, then they become a legitimate target. How does it work in the US? 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, askandanswer said:

Just out of curiousity, how common is it in US political campaigns for people to throw mud at the family members of the candidate?

The extreme right and left ignore common decency and good behavior. Name calling and pretending to be morally superior is how they act, and sadly, that includes firing shots at family members of politicians. In politics, nothing is sacred. 

The rest of us find it repulsive and frankly, a little pathetic. 

Over here, the belief seems to be that attacking a family member who is not publicly involved in the campaign will lose you more support than you will gain. We've had Members of Parliament with drug addicted children or criminal husbands and no one has known about it until the Member themselves have revealed, perhaps in a speech on addiction related issues or rehabilitation of criminals. 

Guest MormonGator
12 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Over here, the belief seems to be that attacking a family member who is not publicly involved in the campaign will lose you more support than you will gain. We've had Members of Parliament with drug addicted children or criminal husbands and no one has known about it until the Member themselves have revealed, perhaps in a speech on addiction related issues or rehabilitation of criminals. 

Politics is like online forums. It can get ugly and if you (generic!) can't handle it, it's best to not get involved. It's not a pretty/polite game. And that's sad. 

Edited by MormonGator

Something that keeps getting swept under the rug: this wasn't some 18-19-year-old college freshman in his first year away from mommy and daddy, figuring out how much stupid stuff he could get away with.   He was 25, which is not a kid by any definition, and in med school, having finished college three years earlier: he became a frickin' doctor the same year as the yearbook in question.  Quite a bit worse than dragging up Kavanaugh's high school yearbook.

And sure; times were different then, but in 1984, segregation and the era of making racist jokes freely in public without fear of consequences was already decades in the past.  Heck, Northam was five years old when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed.    It, and racism in general should have been a major topic in any government or current events study well into his high school years.

11 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Something that keeps getting swept under the rug: this wasn't some 18-19-year-old college freshman in his first year away from mommy and daddy, figuring out how much stupid stuff he could get away with.   He was 25, which is not a kid by any definition, and in med school, having finished college three years earlier: he became a frickin' doctor the same year as the yearbook in question.  Quite a bit worse than dragging up Kavanaugh's high school yearbook.

And sure; times were different then, but in 1984, segregation and the era of making racist jokes freely in public without fear of consequences was already decades in the past.  Heck, Northam was five years old when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed.    It, and racism in general should have been a major topic in any government or current events study well into his high school years.

The elephant in the room - donning blackface or a KKK costume does not make you a racist in the same manner that donning a Japanese Kimono doesn't make you Japanese.  This only makes news because the Democrats like to pull this game out of their playbook to sink Republicans.  So it becomes really funny when the twitterverse smears Democrats and even Megyn Kelly with their own playbook and smacks them around with it.