Superbowl Judgment Day

The Superbowl is coming up and you know what that means? Superbowl parties, food, friends and family, and more food. But what about Church? Are you someone who can't wait for it to be over (two-hour church, hallelujah) or do you record it, avoid spoilers, and then watch it the next day? Which one is “right”? Which one will the neighbors peeking through the window judge you for? Superbowl Sunday may be the day that we judge each other the most. A lot of times members of the Church can be so consumed with living the gospel the “right” way that they don’t realize that there isn’t one “right” way. It isn’t a bad thing to try and live the principles of the gospel to the best of your ability. What is bad is judging others for not living it the same way you do. The Church does not give its members a checklist or strict guidelines on how to give the gospel. The Church teaches principles and counsels its members...

View the full article

Interesting article that I suppose is trying to reason why Church Members are not breaking the Sabbath by supporting a couple hundred people working on the Sabbath for a game that is merely entertainment than really having any real necessity of actually needing to be played on Sunday.

Obviously, I am not one to really watch the Superbowl on Sunday.

The writer of the article probably would say that I am a hypocrite myself, as well as being judgmental. 

There are many members of the church that will be watching the Superbowl on Sunday.  I came across a few that were buying snacks for it today while shopping.  While I am not going to watch it, each makes their own decision on whether to watch it or not and whether that is breaking the Sabbath or keeping it. 

Of course, that brings into question how far we go if we choose NOT to support people working on Sunday.  Using the Superbowl as an example...does that mean we will not look up the score later, or if recorded Via DVR that we do not watch it Monday Morning?  Does it mean that we forget the entire thing ever happened?

Is it possible to do that in real life.  Do we refuse to go shopping at a store for fear that they stocked the shelves on Sunday?

It is an interesting dilemma one can think through.  We each have our own excuses of why we break the Sabbath in the ways we do, with some having to make up greater excuses and others lesser excuses.  I suppose that could apply to any sin that we commit in our lives.

However, normally we aren't quite as flagrant as accusing others of being judgmental because they see that we are actively encouraging others to work on the Sabbath for no other reason than our entertainment.  But, we each have our hypocrisy and sin.  Afterall, I imagine that I still surf the internet on Sunday and though that has some that would be working supplying electricity already, it probably also encourages the need for some to work that may not need to if the demands of such were not quite so high due to people like me.

For example, it is Sunday Morning now, and I am on the internet writing this up.  For some, that probably is the height of hypocrisy on my part I imagine.

Edited by JohnsonJones