My world is winter

Sunday21

I was whining and complaining about the weather to a Scottish friend, she began to describe ‘freezing fog’. Like black ice, a very thin film of ice in the road that you can barely see, paired with fog. Ok that’s worse.

i just got off the phone to Manitoba from whining about -20 C in my town. My sister interrupted to describe -40 C working with low income people who can barely afford a coat. Certainly not the high tech gear that I own. I could outfit a small boutique with my collection of space-age coats, masks, mitts long underwear etc.

Yeah. It’s cold but I really have no idea what the rest of the world is going through. 

Anyhoo everything is melting today! 😃🌞

On 2/4/2019 at 8:16 AM, Sunday21 said:

I was whining and complaining about the weather to a Scottish friend, she began to describe ‘freezing fog’. Like black ice, a very thin film of ice in the road that you can barely see, paired with fog. Ok that’s worse.

i just got off the phone to Manitoba from whining about -20 C in my town. My sister interrupted to describe -40 C working with low income people who can barely afford a coat. Certainly not the high tech gear that I own. I could outfit a small boutique with my collection of space-age coats, masks, mitts long underwear etc.

Yeah. It’s cold but I really have no idea what the rest of the world is going through. 

Anyhoo everything is melting today! 😃🌞

We had a record breaking heat wave, with a bunch of temperature related weather records broken here last month. This is from the Bureau of Meteorology website. We had some visitors from the US in our ward last Sunday. They had come from somewhere where it had been about minus 30 C to where it was suddenly 35 C. Today it will just be a coolish 29 C

Australian Capital Territory in January 2019: A record warm start to the year

A series of heatwaves impacted much of Australia throughout January, with record warm temperatures observed in the ACT as a result. Thunderstorms brought close to average rainfall, with some strong winds and hail at times.

Record warm temperatures

• Maximum and minimum temperatures were 3 to 6 degrees above average as a result of heatwaves which impacted much of Australia in January
  • Further information about the heatwaves that have affected large areas of the country can be found in the Special Climate Statement Widespread heatwaves during December 2018 and January 2019
  • Canberra Airport's mean maximum temperature was 34.5 °C, its warmest January mean maximum temperature on record at 6.3 °C above average and 1.7 °C above the previous record set in 2017
  • Tuggeranong also observed its highest January mean daily maximum temperature on record with 34.1 °C, beating its previous record by just over 2 degrees
  • The temperature exceeded 35 °C on 19 days at Canberra Airport, just over 6 times the January average
  • Canberra Airport had a record run of four consecutive days of 40 °C or above from 15 to 18 January, which had not previously occurred (since records began in 1939)
  • On the 16th Canberra Airport recorded a maximum of 41.6 °C which equals the record for the highest January temperature recorded at the current site, but is just shy of the highest temperature of 42.2 °C recorded at the now closed Airport site in February 1968
  • Tuggeranong also recorded its highest January temperature on record with 40.8 °C on the 17th
  • Canberra Airport and Tuggeranong observed their highest January mean daily minimum temperatures on record with 17.7 °C and 18.0 °C respectively, beating their previous records by 1 to 1.5 degrees
  • The minimum temperature did not drop below 15 °C on 25 days at Canberra Airport, surpassing the record of 23 days set at the closed Airport site in January 2006

Edited by askandanswer