Liam Neeson and Piers Morgan

Jamie123

I normally quite like Piers Morgan, but this morning on "Good Morning Britain" he was an absolute idiot. (My wife thinks he is always an idiot, so today we were in the unusual position of agreeing with each other.) It was all to do with this interview with Liam Neeson. 

I cannot find a link to Neeson's unedited words - every reporting of them has people's comments and interpretations thrown in. This is the best I can do. He is talking about a time he returned home from a trip to discover that someone - he doesn't say who, possibly his girlfriend or sister - had been raped. Listen to all his words and ignore the Twitter comments pasted on the video stream. (You can start at 0:30 - everything before that is just music.)

Now listen to what Piers Morgan had to say about this...

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/05/piers-morgan-compares-liam-neeson-racism-controversy-mel-gibsons-anti-semitic-comments-8441302/

Am I really the only person who thinks that Piers Morgan....and just about everyone else who has commented on this have missed the whole point? Yes it was horrible...awful...but that was the very point Neeson was making! He said...

• I'm ashamed to say that, and I did it for maybe a week...
  • It was horrible, horrible when I think back... [Does that sound like justification of racial violence to you?]
  • I did learn a lesson from it
  • Killing leads to more killing, and Northern Ireland is a proof of that!

All this was completely ignored by Piers Morgan, Suzanna Reid and the self-righteous Twitter-mob with their shiny virtue-signalling halos, rejoicing that they could favourably compare their own best with Liam Neeson's worst.

We all have dark spots in our souls. Well, if you haven't then I congratulate you, but I know I have - and I'm not alone! I remember a friend of mine - many many years ago now - telling me about how his sister's boyfriend, after having a baby with his sister (my friend's sister that is, not his own) and spending a couple of months trying to be a father to the little girl, walked out on her leaving her weeping. He (my friend) was so angry he walked to the door, and the look on his face must have made it quite obvious what his intentions were. Fortunately his mother went after him and persuaded him to see reason. But he told me "If she hadn't, I'd have gone to the pub where I knew he'd be drinking with his mates, got a beer glass and smashed him over the head."

Now I daresay that by the time my friend had reached the pub, common sense would have prevailed. But who's to say the same wouldn't have happened to Liam Neeson if he really had got into a confrontation with a black man? In both cases providence intervened and no harm was done. But it does show how dangerous parts of our nature can become if we don't take measures to control them. What Neeson was contemplating WAS terrible - but that was the very point he was making!

Instead of getting any of this, Morgan, Reid and the other GMB muppets choose to portray themselves as the Care Bears, and Liam Neeson as Dark Heart (I'm showing my age here) because he dared to admit that there was something in him which was potentially not-very-nice.

And in a way I can't blame them - they could either run with the Twitter-mob or else be torn apart themselves.

Edited by Jamie123

This just reinforces my understanding of how the Liberal/Progressive view things.   "Good" people never do or think anything wrong.  If you are a "Good" person you are never weak, you never make a mistake, no youthful indiscretions you will always be Good.  There for anyone that ever acknowledged doing something wrong, being weak, making a mistake etc...  Is "Evil" and needs to be destroyed.  

This is of course foolishness.  Everyone has done something wrong, everyone has moments of weakness, everyone makes mistakes

2 hours ago, estradling75 said:

This just reinforces my understanding of how the Liberal/Progressive view things.   "Good" people never do or think anything wrong.  If you are a "Good" person you are never weak, you never make a mistake, no youthful indiscretions you will always be Good.  There for anyone that ever acknowledged doing something wrong, being weak, making a mistake etc...  Is "Evil" and needs to be destroyed.  

This is of course foolishness.  Everyone has done something wrong, everyone has moments of weakness, everyone makes mistakes

This is not quite accurate.

This is a game of Oppression Olympics.  Those who have Oppression Points can do or think wrong or even blatantly do wrong - it is not wrong because they have Oppression Points.  The more Oppression Points one has, the more wrong he can do without it being wrong.  Those without Oppression Points can share in some other group's Oppression Points by going all out and championing their cause.

Unfortunately, Liam Neeson, as a rich, straight, white male that avoided Oppression activism, has absolutely zero Oppression Points.  So even if he has not done any wrong, he is still very vulnerable to the Oppression Olympics crime of wrong think.  If he wasn't an actor with expert control of his facial expressions, he'd be easily vulnerable to the Oppression Olympics face crime.

By the way, being Irish does not qualify you for Oppression Points, no matter how oppressed your ancestry.

Edited by anatess2

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

This is not quite accurate.

This is a game of Oppression Olympics.  Those who have Oppression Points can do or think wrong or even blatantly do wrong - it is not wrong because they have Oppression Points.  The more Oppression Points one has, the more wrong he can do without it being wrong.  Those without Oppression Points can share in some other group's Oppression Points by going all out and championing their cause.

Unfortunately, Liam Neeson, as a rich, straight, white male that avoided Oppression activism, has absolutely zero Oppression Points.

Interestingly ex soccer star John Barnes has now come out defending Neeson and laying into Piers (and Suzanna too) - something he can afford to do because he is black himself, and has enough "oppression points" for his opinions to stand up! 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/john-barnes-slams-hypocrite-piers-13959683

Guest MormonGator
9 hours ago, pam said:

Piers Morgan is an idiot.  He should have just stuck with judging BGT and nothing else.

He should be lucky he's not in jail, given his history with hacking scandals. 

So, I looked up "Liam Neeson" and "relative" and "threat" came upon an interesting video.  I wonder if these feelings he expressed played into whatever role he appears to be playing in whatever film or Show this is from...

I think there were some parodies he did on this in commercials later on.

It seems to me that Piers Morgan may not want to antagonize Liam Neeson.

PS: Yes, I know it is called acting...but he does seem pretty intense in this clip I found via the magic of google.  This was actually the 8th hit but it was the shortest one that came up of the others.

Noel Plum has an interesting take on this...

The thing which hit me most is the idea that we need somebody to demonize - and we are unable to change this about ourselves. Look at the Yale/Mizzou/Duke "crybullies" thing a couple of years back: we start with the racists/sexists/gay-bashers demonize hate the blacks, people-of-the-opposite-sex and gays. Since these people hide mostly in the shadows, the "liberal progressives" turn their own wrath upon the school/civic administrators for not pulling out magic wands to remedy this problem. The alt-right (along with most middle-of-the-road folks) then turn on the lib-progs, calling them "crybullies" and "special snowflakes".

And I'm doing exactly the same thing myself: demonizing Piers Morgan for demonizing Liam Neeson for (40 years ago) demonizing black men. I think perhaps it's time to take a step back.