Reason 183 NOT to move to Utah

zil

Just now, Grunt said:

That's a perfect reason to move to Utah.  Is there much snowmobiling there?

While I was plowing my driveway, cars drove by with people on skis being towed along behind them.  I assume somewhere in Utah, someone is snowmobiling.  I'd offer to trade, but I'm sure where you are is no better.  (This much is actually pretty rare here.)

Nice.   Utah could use the moisture.  It was so dry last winter.

We just moved in November, but our old house in NW Colorado used to get a lot of snow.  We lived there just over 14 years.  I can't say I miss the snow that much (it snows here too, but only for a few months).

Here is a photo we took at Ripple Creek, which wasn't that far from our house:

june.jpeg.37a0533fe6688d3abd30e5c5d493f6af.jpeg

It doesn't look very impressive until it is pointed out that it was taken on June 4.

Other than when a few times we've been on vacation I can't think of more than a few weeks when I haven't seen it snow.  Even in July and August it snows in the mountains, but it usually melts quickly.  I have seen it snow 3-4 feet in summer though.  A few inches is more common in the summer time though; snow storms of more than a foot are more rare in summer, even in the mountains.  

At our house it didn't snow in July and August (snow was only common until mid-June or so), but I usually worked in the mountains where it snows year round.

My wife and kids used to throw me a birthday party, but I missed getting home three times due to blizzards.   My birthday is on June 13.

Most of the time though, the weather is really nice in the summer in the mountains.  

My wife and I have a tradition of having a snowball fight on our anniversary, which is in August.  See here for a screenshot of Facebook post from our anniversary (the date is August 11):

anniversary.thumb.JPG.257909d6b0ca369584f9d907107d6d13.JPG

4th of July is also fun to because the kids like blowing up snowballs and snowmen with fireworks.  

Other than perhaps blowing up snowmen and snowballs with fireworks on July 4, I can't say I'll miss the snow that much. At least where we just moved to it never snows after May.

Edited by Scott

6 minutes ago, LadyGunnar said:

I dislike all the snow. My parents are from Montana and tell me that I don't know a thing about snow!  

I grew up in upstate NY where waking to 2 additional feet of snow overnight was not unusual.  But I was young and had a brother to help clear - and there were no sidewalks, just the driveway.  Now I'm just sick of it, even with a snow-blower.

It's now up to 24". :(

Edited by zil

9 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I’d just like to give a shoutout to every freakin media outlet in the state that announced the “state government” was closed today.  Umm, the state courts did *not* close, and some of us had hearings . . . grrr . . .  

Apparently whatever government is supposed to clear roads is closed every time it snows.  Go figure.  Maybe they should send their snow plows off to get programmed by google or something.

12 hours ago, zil said:

I grew up in upstate NY where waking to 2 additional feet of snow overnight was not unusual.  But I was young and had a brother to help clear - and there were no sidewalks, just the driveway.  Now I'm just sick of it, even with a snow-blower.

It's now up to 24". :(

My grandpa says Montana has three seasons July, August and winter. Their little town got snowed in for a month once.  

I like the look of snow.  I hate having to go out in it all day with the dogs and chickens. My poor girls won't leave their coop. They do not like this white stuff. Poor silly things. 

On 2/6/2019 at 7:17 PM, zil said:

While I was plowing my driveway, cars drove by with people on skis being towed along behind them.  I assume somewhere in Utah, someone is snowmobiling.  I'd offer to trade, but I'm sure where you are is no better.  (This much is actually pretty rare here.)

Try it with a shovel. And yet, today it started melting. It has been a very weird winter.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, cdowis said:

TALENT

>>you take away from the completed work of Christ on the cross Christ disagrees with you ==>>

John.3 [5] Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Mark.16 [16] He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Matt 25 [29] For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. [30] And cast ye the UNPROFITABLE servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Hmm.  I'm thinking you meant this to go in your YouTube Apologetics thread. ;)

I miss the snow! Not much in Maryland.  We're supposed to get an inch or two tomorrow morning. It will be gone by 5:00 PM. If anyone in the school district office suspects there might be a flake or two they close the schools, requiring the kids to give up their spring break days or extending the school year till near the end of June. Yesterday, rather than having President's Day off ( we're 40 miles from the Nations Capitol mind you)  they had to go to school to make up a snow day where the roads had hardly gotten wet. I'm not exaggerating. A 6 " snowstorm is a huge, enormous deal and the stores sell out of bread and TP the day before. 

Edited by carlimac

The secret to happiness is appreciation for what one has.  Enjoying winter in Utah is as simple as enjoying skiing.  I was skiing the other day in 2 feet of powder but with 40 mph winds yet still enjoying every second and the greatest snow on earth.

The Traveler