“EXPLICIT” Music is Dominating Top Charts Nationwide, Disturbing Stats Show

Music is undeniably powerful. It can inspire you to be a better person (thank you, brother Groban), it can comfort you when you're down, it can invite the Spirit of God. OR ... it can incline Libyan rebels in the 1990s to say, "I only listen to 2Pac before going to shoot Gaddafi boys." Music has consequences. We readily recognize and embrace the positive influence of music, but how often do we brush off lyrics promoting violence, sex, sexual violence, or illicit drug use, as something that "doesn't affect" us? It does. And that's why the top music charts I'm looking at right now are deeply troubling to me, as they should be to you. Take a look at just the first half of the United States Top 50 playlist, according to Spotify as of January 29, 2019 (click to enlarge): This is a problem Notice something? Out of 25 songs, 21 are marked "EXPLICIT." The second half of the list is slightly better, but not good by any means (total of 34/50 explicit). These are cold,...

View the full article