Green New Deal - AOC and Ed Markey version

anatess2

On 2/21/2019 at 9:28 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

Not constitutionally possible.  Minimum age for President is 35, AOC is 29 or 30.  (Well, maybe she could technically be VP, I’d have to look it up; but if something happened to President Bernie she’s be ineligible to succeed him.)

VP must be eligible to be President, specifically because of succession and the need to act as President immediately in cases of temporary or permanent incapacitation.  As I recall, every time a sitting President in recent history needed to be sedated for a medical procedure, the VP has officially been in place as acting President.  After all, if an enemy found out with enough prep time, that would be a prime opportunity to strike and capitalize on any delay in the transfer of authority.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:54 AM, JohnsonJones said:

A SMARTER choice I think would to have not been so limited in their selection.  I would have probably gone to Iowa and started a headquarters in the middle of nowhere. 

Why?

Land is cheap there.  You can build what you want in many places without the political hassle.  Iowa would probably WELCOME something like that.  You could create from a clean slate whatever you want to.  Taxes are probably LOWER than anything you'll get in most major cities (definitely cheaper than NYC) AND, be more affordable.

This; plus labor is cheaper and gets a better deal anyway.  Here, an employer can pay $2-3 less per hour than a comparable job in D/FW, and the employees still have a higher standard of living.  I've seen upper-middle-class empty lots in Dallas suburbs going for twice as much as a 2,000sf brick house in excellent condition here.  750sf one bedroom apartments costing as much per month as the mortgage on the 2/2 house here.  I can bike to work in 30 minutes or drive in just over 10, and use less gas in a week than I did in a day in Dallas.  Car insurance is about half.  Grass fed free range beef and local produce is common at roadside stands even cheaper than the "normal" stuff at the grocery store.

I absolutely refused to work for a temp agency that was headquartered in the Galleria when I was there, specifically because no client cares where their offices are, and they were wasting tens of thousands per month on a fancy office and upscale address that could/should have been passed on to the temps earning that money for them.  Given the ease and reliability of shipping from non-hub cities now, I feel the same about most manufacturing and pretty much all online businesses still based in major cities.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:15 AM, anatess2 said:

For those who are curious about what this AOC/Markey GND plan is... it's things like:  Eliminating non-renewable energy and Nuclear Energy within 10 years and giving basic income to all Americans who are not capable or are unwilling to work.  Yes.  I'm not kidding - fossil fuels and nuclear energy gone in 10 years.  And yes, unwilling is really in there.  And that's just 2 of the many items in the plan, one as ridiculous as the next.  I'd link to the text but it got taken down and I didn't feel like sourcing it from archives.

I have yet to see an environmental impact study that validates the GND.  I am sure there is already a law that prohibits the changes without an environmental impact study - and I am not sure that such a study could be completed within the 10 year limit.

The Traveler