5 Reasons Why Latter-day Saints Are Ya Novel-Aholics

Just a year ago, Deseret News released the article “Why young adult fiction — and YA authors — thrive in Utah.” The article explores the culture of Utah and how it creates countless YA novel-aholics. How many writers and writing groups thrive throughout the state. How young adult fiction is gaining reputation as a genre. It even mentions that Salt Lake City sells more YA novels compared to similarly sized cities. Clearly, a pandemic of YA novels plagues Utah. (And I for one, welcome it). Friendship, family, choosing the right. No wonder Latter-day Saints love Harry Potter. But the article made me wonder how this all started. And why specifically YA? The article mentions how YA novels have cleaner content. Or maybe it's because Utahns are also Harry Potter-aholics. The latter a topic not foreign to us, as we've published nearly a dozen articles about Harry Potter. From Mormon Moments from Harry Potter, to the quiz General Authority or Harry Potter? But I think there's more to it than that. I think there...

View the full article