Perception of Utah

zil

3 minutes ago, zil said:

I was looking for websites describing scenic byways, and came across an article called "Every State (and DC!), Described in Emojis".  It seemed like it had the potential to be amusing, so I went to look...  Here's Utah:

utoji.jpg.474ef4f69ef5e997bc588dd9cda7f53a.jpg

<_< Apparently we're never getting over this one.

In their defense, there are a lot of polygamists here. I work with two 😁

9 minutes ago, zil said:

I was looking for websites describing scenic byways, and came across an article called "Every State (and DC!), Described in Emojis".  It seemed like it had the potential to be amusing, so I went to look...  Here's Utah:

utoji.jpg.474ef4f69ef5e997bc588dd9cda7f53a.jpg

<_< Apparently we're never getting over this one.

The main problem with this is not that it's bigoted or puerile or unfair (though it is all of those things). The biggest problem with this is that it isn't funny.

19 minutes ago, Vort said:

The main problem with this is not that it's bigoted or puerile or unfair (though it is all of those things). The biggest problem with this is that it isn't funny.

I personally don’t mind the stereotype. When done in light humor, it’s an easy ice breaker or conversation starter.

As far as how you described it. 

Unfair? Not really, we have more polygamists here than any other state.

puerile? Perhaps a bit, but most of the time I receive in good humor and not as a jab or to make fun of.

Bigoted? Sometimes, but I see it Similar to saying to people from Indian “Hoosier daddy?” Or “you married to your cousin?” To a true blood Kentuckian (which is a valid question!)

Edited by Fether

Guest MormonGator
53 minutes ago, Fether said:

I personally don’t mind the stereotype. When done in light humor, it’s an easy ice breaker or conversation starter.

That's a great way to handle it, because it's a pretty light jab. My non member friends make jokes about it all the time. 

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Growing up in California, an evangelical girl in my eighth-grade class asked me if I was going to have ten wives.

I asked her if she was volunteering to be one of them.

The look on her face still makes me giggle.

I tease the sister missionaries about it too. 99% laugh, 1% looks shocked and appalled. 

Edited by MormonGator

22 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Growing up in California, an evangelical girl in my eighth-grade class asked me if I was going to have ten wives.

I asked her if she was volunteering to be one of them.

The look on her face still makes me giggle.

In my mission, maybe 5 or 6 years before I got there, they briefly had District Leaders go on teamups with pairs of Sisters the same way they do when training Elders. Three guesses as to why the mission president ended that practice quickly😃. I can only imagine how much fun tracting must have been.

Edited by Midwest LDS

14 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

In my mission, maybe 5 or 6 years before I got there, they briefly had District Leaders go on teamups with pairs of Sisters the same way they do when training Elders. Three guesses as to why the mission president ended that practice quickly😃. I can only imagine how much fun tracting must have been.

Lots of interest from the 35-year-old unmarried male contingent.

3 hours ago, Fether said:

Bigoted? Sometimes, but I see it Similar to saying to people from Indian “Hoosier daddy?” Or “you married to your cousin?” To a true blood Kentuckian (which is a valid question!)

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I'm a born and bred Hoosier who was raised by a Kentuckian grandma....what are you asking me??? 

10 minutes ago, beefche said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I'm a born and bred Hoosier who was raised by a Kentuckian grandma....what are you asking me??? 

That your mother/father doesnt know that his/her mom’s baby daddy is her mom’s cousin.

1 hour ago, Midwest LDS said:

My mission president talked about how he too use to do this in his mission when he was 19