Did My Mission Even Matter?

I can't even count the number of times I've wondered if my missionary service was worthwhile. Firstly, because I can't count very high (math is my nemesis now and forever) and secondly, because I question all the time whether I made even the slightest difference in anyone's life. It's easy to become discouraged and to feel like all that time I spent as a missionary was a huge waste. After all, almost all of the people I taught that were baptized are no longer active despite my efforts to stay in touch and encourage their gospel activity. Then, on top of that, I look back and see all of the mistakes I made as a missionary. I was inadequate in so many ways. So I wonder, did I even do any good? Was there any point to my service? Did I make a difference at all? Not to toot my own horn — like I said, I made A LOT of mistakes as a missionary — but the answer is yes....

View the full article

16 hours ago, Vort said:

the first picture is of an elder's torso.

so rude, how do you know they identify as an elder. Perhaps your short sighted mind was actually looking at sister who just chooses to wear clothes that society pegs as masculine!?

Edited by Fether

But in all honesty, a pretty good article. A classic struggle from many. The only thing I would disagree with is the notion of planting seeds could lead to future success. I feel like that is just a cop out response to one’s sense of failure. I think a much healthier approach would be to see the actual service of the mission as the success rather than the fruit (or lack of).

”let him contend earnestly for the redemption of the First Presidency of my Church, saith the Lord; and when he falls he shall rise again, for his sacrifice shall be more sacred unto me than his increase, saith the Lord.”

Doctrine and Covenants 117:13

Guest MormonGator
24 minutes ago, Fether said:

But in all honesty, a pretty good article. A classic struggle from many.

I was never a missionary but @LadyGator and I tend to develop intense friendships with missionaries, often continuing after their mission is over. From what I've noticed 95% of missionaries are very hard on themselves and set unattainable goals. No, you won't convert the world, and yes, it's okay to have zero baptisms on your mission. Missionaries can enrich the lives of their wards in ways they never imagine without having to baptize anyone.  

The other 5% don't care about their mission and are just there to satisfy family pressure. 

Edited by MormonGator

32 minutes ago, Fether said:

The only thing I would disagree with is the notion of planting seeds could lead to future success. I feel like that is just a cop out response to one’s sense of failure. I think a much healthier approach would be to see the actual service of the mission as the success rather than the fruit (or lack of).

Interesting.  I think that is the strongest piece in the whole article.  Every single missionary or member I spoke with during my conversion planted a seed that contributed to my testimony.  Every single one.  I think that is the best thing we can do as members and missionaries.  Plant seeds.  I share that with any missionary that will listen.  

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I was never a missionary but @LadyGator and I tend to develop intense friendships with missionaries, often continuing after their mission is over. From what I've noticed 95% of missionaries are very hard on themselves and set unattainable goals. No, you won't convert the world, and yes, it's okay to have zero baptisms on your mission. Missionaries can enrich the lives of their wards in ways they never imagine without having to baptize anyone.  

The other 5% don't care about their mission and are just there to satisfy family pressure. 

This.  My friend list is littered with missionaries who have asked to continue contact.  The 7 touches principle applies to missionary work, too.  Who knows when a seed planted today will be watered by someone else down the road?  It worked for my family.

I served in the 1990's in Mexico.  I do not measure my success as a missionary by the number of people I baptised you can't do that, you can't base the success of your mission based on the activity levels of the individuals you brought into the gospel. Someone who serves in France or another low baptising mission can have the exact same experience that I had. Success in a mission is based on what you take away from it, how you grow as a person.   

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

Interesting.  I think that is the strongest piece in the whole article.  Every single missionary or member I spoke with during my conversion planted a seed that contributed to my testimony.  Every single one.  I think that is the best thing we can do as members and missionaries.  Plant seeds.  I share that with any missionary that will listen.  

I do think that there is something to be said about the seeds planted :) 

But hear me out. When a missionary feels like a failure because they see no baptisms, little baptisms, or their baptisms leave the church, they are beating themselves up because they are basing their “success” on baptisms and conversions. They then tell themselves two things: 1) Baptisms are not indicators of success” And 2) “Maybe I’ll be like Abinadi and never see the success of my seeds.” 

The latter is a Freudian Slip of the initial statement.

They are still seeing actual baptisms as their success indicators. Nothing changed, they just told themselves “maybe I’ll be successful later”.

I baptized a good amount of people on my mission. Not an immense amount, not a tiny amount, but a good amount. But when I look back on my mission, I see it as a success because of my repentance, faithful service, and the fact that I did what God asked me to do. That is success in God’s eyes.

Putting our basis of success on an indicator we cannot control is like playing emotional and mental roulette. 

Lastly, I would challenge any with this question. Would Abinadi have been a failure if Alma did not convert?

7 minutes ago, Fether said:

I do think that there is something to be said about the seeds planted :) 

But hear me out. When a missionary feels like a failure because they see no baptisms, little baptisms, or their baptisms leave the church, they are beating themselves up because they are basing their “success” on baptisms and conversions. They then tell themselves two things: 1) Baptisms are not indicators of success” And 2) “Maybe I’ll be like Abinadi and never see the success of my seeds.” 

The latter is a Freudian Slip of the initial statement.

They are still seeing actual baptisms as their success indicators. Nothing changed, they just told themselves “maybe I’ll be successful later”.

I baptized a good amount of people on my mission. Not an immense amount, not a tiny amount, but a good amount. But when I look back on my mission, I see it as a success because of my repentance, faithful service, and the fact that I did what God asked me to do. That is success in God’s eyes.

Putting our basis of success on an indicator we cannot control is like playing emotional and mental roulette. 

Lastly, I would challenge any with this question. Would Abinadi have been a failure if Alma did not convert?

Personally, I would judge a mission's success by whether you devoted all your efforts to it.   If you gave your all to both members and non-members alike and planted as many seeds as you could, you did well.  Most of the time you'll NEVER know whether your seeds led to baptisms.   First, a seed is just a kind word or ANY impression upon someone.  It could be planted with a handshake or a good morning to a complete stranger you never see again.  My first seed was planted by a member I worked a fireline with many years ago.  Molly.  I don't remember her last name and I doubt she remembers me at all.  Another seed was a missionary in a food line that casually said two words to me.  I'm sure the interaction meant nothing to her.  It meant little to me at the time.   

You also can't judge success on baptisms or activity.  The seeds planted in me ended in baptism, but what if I left the church tomorrow?  My baptism led to 3 other baptisms.  Seeds become forests.

I liked the article. I was pretty harsh on myself after my mission. As the years have gone by I have since let up on the self-castigation. I thought because I was a missionary on the Lord’s errand I should have been nearly perfect. Of course, I fell far short. Thankfully, I can look at myself now with a little more Christ-like love and forgiveness. I served in Germany where, on average, there were about two baptisms per missionary before they went home. My mission changed and strengthened me more than anyone else. D&C 18:15 “And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!” If that one soul is you, yourself, then your mission was worth it!