Church allows missionaries to call home weekly

Midwest LDS

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see any problem with missionaries talking with their families more often. Especially in such a family oriented church, it makes a ton of sense. There are so many other major issues we deal with in the world that a phone call once a week doesn't really scream the infantilizing of society to me.

Edited by Midwest LDS

8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

And remember @NeuroTypical that people from your parents/grandparents generation also said the same thing about you when you were younger. It's sort of a cliche to complain about how easy young people have it, isn't it? It's been happening since the dawn of time, yet no one who does it seems to understand that. 

Absolutely.  But I'm not sure it's been done since the dawn of time.  I think of the roaring '20's and the dirty 30's, then WWII came along and our greatest generation was formed and shaped in the events that transpired.  Every generation since has wallowed in the freedoms won a bit more.  From consequence free love, to the economic successes that have quadrupled our free time and raised our creature comforts a thousand fold, to our electronics. Our grandparents remember stories about having to work hard to survive the winter, the notion is ludicrous to us.  

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Absolutely.  But I'm not sure it's been done since the dawn of time.  I think of the roaring '20's and the dirty 30's, then WWII came along and our greatest generation was formed and shaped in the events that transpired.  Every generation since has wallowed in the freedoms won a bit more.  From consequence free love, to the economic successes that have quadrupled our free time and raised our creature comforts a thousand fold, to our electronics. Our grandparents remember stories about having to work hard to survive the winter, the notion is ludicrous to us.  

I understand. Just remember that every generation faces challenges too. When you and I screwed up, there was no chance our mistakes would "go viral". Sadly, with this generation, it's a strong possibility. Just ask the Covington kids, who didn't even make a mistake! 

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

On a side note: Are missionaries now being issued iPad mini's? If so, that is very cool. And, do they just leave them behind or do they get to keep them, like their bikes?

Some missions use IPads or Tablets. My daughter was told before she left that she would be using one, and given some options for buying one.  

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Midwest LDS said:

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see any problem with missionaries talking with their families more often. Especially in such a family oriented church, it makes a ton of sense. There are so many other major issues we deal with in the world that a phone call once a week doesn't really scream the infantilizing of society to me.

I'm with you!  

2 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Socrates 469-399 BC

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room."

Yeah?  Well how'd it turn out for Socrates?

Interesting...  I can't help but wonder if this has more to do with being more connected now then ever before?

When I served long distance communication was expensive.  Calling home every week would have added up fast.  But nowadays you can reach the far side of the world as easily as you can next door.

I'm happy with the new changes and look forward to hearing from my son tomorrow. However, I still plan to write to my son every week because I don't want to end the practice that I've followed every week for my previous two children. I still have all of the letters that my parents sent to me when I was on my mission. I don't think I have any records of the very few phones calls I made to my parents.                 

19 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Interesting...  I can't help but wonder if this has more to do with being more connected now then ever before?

When I served long distance communication was expensive.  Calling home every week would have added up fast.  But nowadays you can reach the far side of the world as easily as you can next door.

Probably a little. The missionary handbook says “You may telephone your parents on Christmas and one other time during the year (usually Mother’s Day), according to guidelines from your mission president. Take care that these calls do not ... create a financial problem for your family.”

On 2/16/2019 at 11:52 AM, estradling75 said:

When and where I served, my first area had no running water and no phones. To call home at Christmas time, I had to take public transport 20 minutes to the next town up the road and then wait in line in a hot, noisy, crowded public telephone exchange. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

I talked to my missionary daughter today on the phone! It was amazing.  In the past, when we SKYPE, I have to share her with my family...we have a large family. I'm pretty introverted, many of them are extroverted.  Which means I can hardly get a word in, Lol.  So today it was one on one, so great. 

The official email said one of the reasons was for families to get more involved with their missionaries work, so I asked her about it. It was great hearing her talk about the people she loves. 

I think this change was for the moms! And I'm so grateful. What a great time this is!

I think it may be problematic and for the record I am one of those who does not like the idea of being able to call your mommy every week.

This is why I think it may be problematic and this only applies to those serving in third world countries.  In the US we are used to a certain standard of living, in many parts of the world standards are somewhat lower. I know that if my mommy knew of some of the trials I had on my mission she would have been on a plane and scooped me up. I am grateful for those trials and learning experiences. 

When we did talk on the phone x-mas/M-Day I was able to share the good uplifting parts and not the difficult parts. There are so many ups and downs I can see it becoming an exercise in whining and complaining.

Edited by omegaseamaster75

I have to say that homesickness is something I have never really experienced and can't relate with. Twice a year phone calls were sufficient and I wouldn't want to trade in my experience sending and receiving letters while I was out there. I would think that this might actually increase homesickness by keeping missionaries more connected to home and less to the work, not that the two need to be mutually exclusive, I just recall missionaries getting a lot more trunky after Christmas and Mother's Day phone calls. Instead of talking about investigators needs and setting up appointments with ward mission leaders the conversations would drift into where they plan to go to school and their mom's apple pie for Sunday dinner what they plan to do with their car when they get home (the one mommy and daddy were buying them for making it two years - gag)

I'm not saying it's a bad change, and I support the church leaders on it, but I'm glad it wasn't how things were done on my mission.

Edited by SpiritDragon

I feel a bit for my son's Mission President. In November, he sent a letter to the parents of all missionaries basically asking parents to limit their communications with their children. Here's part of it:

Effective this week, we have asked our missionaries to help us in our effort to be obedient to the rules and counsel given us by the Missionary Department and to not participate in real-time chatting/texting or emailing with family and friends.

and from the same letter, quoting the White Handbook

Write to your family each week on preparation day. Limit correspondence with others. … Email: You may communicate with your family and mission president by email, according to approved guidelines. Use only MyLDSMail.net, the filtered service established by the Church. Do not use any other email service or any other Internet service or site that has not been authorized.

And then on February 15 we received the official church announcement saying:

Effective immediately, missionaries are authorized to communicate with their families each week on preparation day via text messages, online messaging, phone calls, and video chat in addition to letters and emails. Missionaries are encouraged to communicate with their families using the approved method that works best for them and their families.

And then, from the Mission President again, another letter on February 18 saying, in part

1. Please note in the letter where it states, “It is not expected that missionaries will call or video chat with their parents every week.”
  2. This also relaxes the guidelines regarding missionaries emailing back and forth with their families in real time or using Google hangouts for family communication in real time.
  3. Skype will likely be the preferred way to make these calls. The missionaries can download the Skype app to their phones. Skype does not need to be video calls. They can be made as audio-only calls.

To me, it's an interesting example of how a local leader has interpreted and applied official church-wide policy. I'm not saying its good or bad, just interesting. 

5 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I feel a bit for my son's Mission President. In November, he sent a letter to the parents of all missionaries basically asking parents to limit their communications with their children. Here's part of it:

Effective this week, we have asked our missionaries to help us in our effort to be obedient to the rules and counsel given us by the Missionary Department and to not participate in real-time chatting/texting or emailing with family and friends.

and from the same letter, quoting the White Handbook

Write to your family each week on preparation day. Limit correspondence with others. … Email: You may communicate with your family and mission president by email, according to approved guidelines. Use only MyLDSMail.net, the filtered service established by the Church. Do not use any other email service or any other Internet service or site that has not been authorized.

And then on February 15 we received the official church announcement saying:

Effective immediately, missionaries are authorized to communicate with their families each week on preparation day via text messages, online messaging, phone calls, and video chat in addition to letters and emails. Missionaries are encouraged to communicate with their families using the approved method that works best for them and their families.

And then, from the Mission President again, another letter on February 18 saying, in part

1. Please note in the letter where it states, “It is not expected that missionaries will call or video chat with their parents every week.”
  2. This also relaxes the guidelines regarding missionaries emailing back and forth with their families in real time or using Google hangouts for family communication in real time.
  3. Skype will likely be the preferred way to make these calls. The missionaries can download the Skype app to their phones. Skype does not need to be video calls. They can be made as audio-only calls.

To me, it's an interesting example of how a local leader has interpreted and applied official church-wide policy. I'm not saying its good or bad, just interesting. 

Sounds like an old school mission president who needs a talking too by a seventy.

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I just was not aware that the iPad was standard issue. Also, can they choose a galaxy pad instead?

From what I understand, apple products are standard. The church apps run best on them.

I got an iPad the last half of my mission.