Church allows missionaries to call home weekly

Midwest LDS

On 2/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, Grunt said:

I wonder what the effects of this will be or what caused this change?  

I don't know, but I do know of at least 2 missionaries back when I was investigating and just after baptism, that went home early because they just couldn't stand being away from their families w/such limited contact.

I'm sure there are some who think missionaries shouldn't talk to anyone while they are out in the field, but the missionaries aren't super people. They are young adults, most of who have never been away from home before, much less in another state or country. I see no problem with letting the sisters and elders talk to parents, get encouragement. Who knows how many will be able to stay on their mission just from being able to talk to parents more than twice a year? We don't ask our young military to cut contact with their families, we don't ask it of college kids, I have a co-worker whose daughter is a semi-cloistered nun and though she can't call home every week, the convent doesn't ask it of her - I don't know why we ask it of our missionaries. So, for me, it's a good thing and I was excited to hear it. 

Maybe I am just a cold hearted person, but I think there are some real mommas boys out in the field that could use some toughening up.  I've seen a number of the younger crop of missionaries come home because they weren't ready to be out in the field.  I suppose that being able to call home might help some of these lads in the short term, but in the long term at some point they need to be men.  Real men love their moms, but they don't need to be coddled by them.

There is some real growing that takes place when all you have is letter writing.  I don't have any resentment that I was not able to call home more than just a few times.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:20 PM, Grunt said:

That's not necessarily true and why I posed the question.  I spoke more in-depth about that up above.

A co-worker's son just finished his basic & advanced training with the National Guard. I know he couldn't talk to his parents for awhile in basic, but the guys (and women) have so many more opportunities for family contact, even when they are overseas, than when I was growing up as an Air Force brat. A member of the ward's son was over in the Middle East and texted her all the time. My father wasn't calling my mother all the time when he was away. In general, it's just easier to keep contact with family,  which I still see as a good thing.

16 hours ago, dahlia said:

A co-worker's son just finished his basic & advanced training with the National Guard. I know he couldn't talk to his parents for awhile in basic, but the guys (and women) have so many more opportunities for family contact, even when they are overseas, than when I was growing up as an Air Force brat. A member of the ward's son was over in the Middle East and texted her all the time. My father wasn't calling my mother all the time when he was away. In general, it's just easier to keep contact with family,  which I still see as a good thing.

Like I said, I spoke more in-depth about the issue above.

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 2/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, dahlia said:

I agree!  When I talked to my daughter she said investigators often ask them about talking to their families and the old system was quite odd to them. As you said, no one else does this.  

On 2/23/2019 at 3:38 PM, LiterateParakeet said:

I agree!  When I talked to my daughter she said investigators often ask them about talking to their families and the old system was quite odd to them. As you said, no one else does this.  

True Story:  My mother just complained to me a few days ago:  Wouldn't it be nice if our adult children actually WANT to call their parents at least once weekly?  (I don't know why she complains when she lives with my sister!)

Another True Story:  Months would pass before my husband ends up talking to his parents.  They just don't call each other unless somebody has a birthday or a holiday or a baptism, etc. 

And one last true story:  I overheard my son tell some people at church, "When I receive my mission call, I'll hide it and replace it with a fake one that I'm going to give to my parents.  That way my mother will not know where I'm assigned and she won't show up in my mission area."

Anyway, I would consider a mission a success if my sons would be so super immersed in the mission that they forget to write or call their parents.  I'd be sad and crying and my husband would probably have to tie me down so I won't move to my son's mission area... but I would be happy that my sons are so busy with the work of the Lord they don't even miss their parents.  If an investigator asked my son about talking to his family, I wouldn't be surprised if he says, "talk to my parents?  When I go home, I can talk to them all day everyday.  Right now, I just want to concentrate on my mission."

But, that's just me.  And my sons.  They're weird.

Edited by anatess2

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 2/25/2019 at 7:29 AM, anatess2 said:

And one last true story:  I overheard my son tell some people at church, "When I receive my mission call, I'll hide it and replace it with a fake one that I'm going to give to my parents.  That way my mother will not know where I'm assigned and she won't show up in my mission area."

Lol, in our family that would be my husband. 

I talk to my adult kids once a week or more. 

One advantage I see already from these new guidelines is that I fin myself far more interested in my daughter's work, and I even agreed to go out with the missionaries tomorrow.  It's weird, I don't know why that is, but true story. :)

I had a tough time being away from home while in the MTC and during the first two months in the field in Japan. But honestly, I don't think calling home each week would have helped. I think it would have made it worse!

I like the change, but I hope missionaries will be prudent about not letting it interfere with their primary duties.

Now, hopefully we can move on to some more substantial changes like wives being able to sit with their husbands on the stands when they are in the Bishopric :)