Are there any Whovians here?

Aish HaTorah

28 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

Answer me this...

...Are you a Whovian?  Do you know what that is?  Surely there must be some of you who have been bitten by The Doctor.

I was until the new doctor. I have no problem with her being a woman, I just find her very boring and her little mob of companions is just not engaging. I also don't like how they have just completely abandoned the story lines that were created in previous seasons. yawn.

I discovered Dr Who in 2012 and was a die hard fan until June 2014 when so left on my mission. Loved all of them (or at least the newer generation) up to and including Matt Smith and saw every episode probably 3-5 times. Got home from my mission in 2016 and lost interest.

So for about 2 years I was a die hard fan. Now not so much

Edited by Fether

So there is my thing.  I am unabashedly conservative in my thinking (politically, morally, fiscally), and I should, by all rights, be against a show that has pushed toward the Left for a very long time.  But I find it quite engaging.

I am a big Baker fan...He was my Doctor growing up (Yeah...I guess that ages me), and I also enjoy the newer doctors.  Interestingly, it was Tom Baker who first suggested that his replacement, when he regenerated, should be a woman.  It never happened then, obviously.  I am a Jodie Whittaker fan from other things in which she has appeared, so I do not overtly dislike her.  I'm glowingly getting used to 13......

...although, as a Rabbi, some of the Islamic stuff I have to look past.

I loved it from 2008-2009ish, felt conflicted about it for the next couple years because it was my ex who introduced it to me, loved it for another couple years, lost my ability to watch it, regained my ability to watch it, lost it again... yeah, my journey has been a bit yo-yoish. I haven't seen anything with the newest Doctor yet because I'm waiting to be able to stream without paying per episode again.

Guest LiterateParakeet

"Are you my mummy?"   Do you guys remember that one?  Creepy!  My family has been teasing me about it ever since we saw it last week.  The good news for me is that at the end of the show (spoiler.....) the Doctor got the girl to admit the boy was her son (not her brother) and hug him.  So when my family is following me around chanting "Are you my mummy?"  It's creepy, but I just turn around and hug the stuffing out of them.  

8 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Blink was the best episode of the show, imho.

I actually never really liked that episode because of how hyped up it was. And I don’t mean that in a hipster way, but that it is the worst episode to use to introduce yourself and others to Doctor Who. All my whovian friends told me “watch Blink and you will be hooked!” 

Well I did... and to someone who had never seen Doctor Who it was not a good first impression. I understood the plot alright, but The Doctor is hardly in it and it is one of the most in depth time travel based episode the series has so you don’t appreciate the Doctor’s background roll. It’s a cool story, but does an awful job of introducing the Doctor.

My favorite episode was “closing time” which guest starred James Corden. Ever since I saw that episode I have been a HUGE fan of James. He is genius and the episode is absolutely hilarious! But don’t watch it first or you can’t appreciate the Doctor. Don’t jump to  any episode until you have learned to appreciate any of the doctors (which means just watch it in chronological order).

13 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

"Are you my mummy?"   Do you guys remember that one?  Creepy!  My family has been teasing me about it ever since we saw it last week.  The good news for me is that at the end of the show (spoiler.....) the Doctor got the girl to admit the boy was her son (not her brother) and hug him.  So when my family is following me around chanting "Are you my mummy?"  It's creepy, but I just turn around and hug the stuffing out of them.  

As much flack as Christopher Eccleston got after being compared to Tennant, I really enjoyed his stuff. He is the one that got me hooked (and NOT ‘Blink’).

That episode you mentioned is definitely in my top 10 of fav doctor who episodes. It hits all the heart strings. Creepy, scary, confusing, sad, and heart warming.

Edited by Fether

1 hour ago, Fether said:

As much flack as Christopher Eccleston got after being compared to Tennant, I really enjoyed his stuff. He is the one that got me hooked (and NOT ‘Blink’).

That episode you mentioned is definitely in my top 10 of fav doctor who episodes. It hits all the heart strings. Creepy, scary, confusing, sad, and heart warming.

It’s too bad your friends said blink would get you hooked. The best episode to watch to get hooked is the very first episode of the new series. I’ve never been much for watching episodes of shows out of order. 

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I’ve never been much for watching episodes of shows out of order. 

Why not??  

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to affect, but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective point of view it is more like a big ball of wibbily wobbly timey wimey...stuff."

On 2/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I was until the new doctor. I have no problem with her being a woman, I just find her very boring and her little mob of companions is just not engaging. I also don't like how they have just completely abandoned the story lines that were created in previous seasons. yawn.

As a female, I am ashamed of myself. I've been a Whovian since Tom Baker (of blessed name), but I cannot deal with a female doctor and haven't seen any of the new shows. I don't know why. I'm usually happy to see women in different roles, such as Ripley in the Aliens franchise, but this just rubs me the wrong way. Were males looking for a female doctor to crush on? Was casting a woman just another misguided attempt to bring diversity to the show, such as with the gay character?  I'm waiting for the next incarnation. 

When I think of Doctor Who Tom Baker is who comes to my mind. He was the first The Doctor I was introduced to watching with my father. I have thoroughly enjoyed the modern episodes, excluding the newest The Doctor.

Have no interest in the non-gender agenda. The Doctor is neither male or female now, just whatever Zie regenerates to (no opposition agenda). I am totally fine with a female doctor, and think Amy Pond would have been a great The Doctor.

Once The Doctor is once again who he truly is, rather than agenda driven, I will begin watching again.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:04 AM, LiterateParakeet said:

I remember this one! I think that the motto for Dr Who was ‘keep the adults in their seats and the kids hiding behind the couch’. Nice to see engaging PG entertainment!  

Pertwee will forever be the "proper doctor" for me. He was the doctor when I first started watching - though I did see Troughton and Hartnell on reruns. (I quite liked Troughton.)

Tom Baker: I liked him to start with, but after a while I found his weirdness a bit unnerving - and in a strange way rather oppressive. I can even pinpoint when this happened - it was in the story "The Masque of Mandragora" (the last to feature Sarah Jane, until she returned much later with Eccleston). Baker stories prior to that I liked, while those that came after (with a few honourable exceptions like "Horror of Fang Rock" and "The Pirate Planet") I generally disliked. Though now I think about it, that may have been partly down to my becoming a teenager. (P.S. Mary Tam - as the original Romana - was a highlight of this era, until they replaced her with soppy-sloppy Lalla Ward!)

Davison: There were some good storylines with him. "Enlightenment" was probably the best story during his tenure. But he really wasn't "doctor" material; there was far too much of the "wet vet" in him.

Colin Baker: "OK, I suppose".

McCoy: Much more "doctor" than his two predecessors. A lighter version of Tom Baker with a quirky musical theme. There were some good story ideas during this time (like Cybermen vs. Nazis, and characters from Arthurian legend invading from other dimensions) but they never seemed to work as well as they ought to have.

McGann: He only did one episode, so I never really formed an opinion. He was OK I guess.

Eccleston: Down to earth kinda guy. I liked him.

Tennant: Probably the best of the "revival" doctors (that I've seen). Shades of Baker in him, but not overdone like Baker himself.

Smith: Davison Mk.II

Capaldi: Never saw him. (We stopped watching Doctor Who during the Smith era, because it was giving my wife nightmares. Don't tell her I told you that!)

Whittaker: Female version of Colin Baker, as far as I can tell. Mind you, I only watched a couple of episodes.

Edited by Jamie123