April 2019 Conference Predictions

The first session will start with prayer and the last session will end with prayer.  Whether any other prayers will be said in between, I'm not going to guess.  There will be singing, talks, and some sustaining.  Something will be announced.  No fewer than 5 people will take notes with fountain pens.

Plural marriage to be reinstated

Tithing replaced with United order

word of wisdom to include gluten, red meat, and caffeine

getting tattoos now bars you from the temple for one year or longer

church rolls out it’s own school curriculum for k-12

New book of scripture

animal sacrifice reinstituted

Book of Mormon geography confirmations

revelation on details of different degrees of glory

raising mission age up to 21

arranged marriages made common practice

Worship bands to be formed in every ward

Guest MormonGator
26 minutes ago, Grunt said:

We don't have enough people for all the callings now, so making the ward smaller would really increase the load on the individual members.

I fear that day is coming for my ward as well. The members are very old (not an insult, statement of fact) and the ward is not replenishing itself when someone tragically passes way. 

Edited by MormonGator

19 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I could see the Proclamation on the Family and The Living Christ becoming Official Declaration 3 and 4. Perhaps some new revelations added as section 139 and 140 as well.

I never understood the hype behind “canonizing” things. Does a canonizes scripture have more weight and authority than a general conference talk?

6 hours ago, Fether said:

I never understood the hype behind “canonizing” things. Does a canonizes scripture have more weight and authority than a general conference talk?

In my opinion...

Actually...yes.

Difference...

for example....

Blacks not being allowed to hold the Priesthood = actually Talked as Doctrine in several Conference talks in Church History and by Proclamation in 1949...

Vs.

All worthy males are allowed to hold the Priesthood and perform the ordinances thereof = Official Declaration 2 = Found in the Doctrine & Covenants

Aka...Official Declaration 2 found in D&C trumps any proclamations made previously and absolutely trumps Conference Talks.

9 hours ago, Fether said:

New book of scripture

Your'e not doing this in Utah yet? Sounds like the church in Utah is a long way behind what's happening in the Zion of the South. 

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Aka...Official Declaration 2 found in D&C trumps any proclamations made previously and absolutely trumps Conference Talks.

To me that is more of a matter of “modern revelation trumping old revelation/policy”

Maybe I won’t get swayed in it, but my confusion comes from a frustration I have with a lot of people who won’t see prophetic words as divine instruction unless it is “canonized”. To many, the Prophets are nothing more than commentators to the scriptures.

Also, you look at the context of everything after the book of Acts and some Book of Mormon chapters like Moroni 10 where the writer who most the time is presumably an apostle or prophet and they are writing a letter to some specific group people or are quickly carving away final thoughts before they die... how is that more authoritative than modern day Prophets giving prepared and pondered over speeches at the pulpit?

Edited by Fether

14 hours ago, Fether said:

Yes. When Elder Bednar (Apr. 2014) opines that Elder Talmage's claim that Apr 6 BC 1 is Christ's birth date known by revelation, I feel little obligation to agree with Elder Bednar that it is revelation. However, if the same assertion were to go through the process of canonization (joint, unanimous statement by the entire First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve then submitted to the Church and sustained by the membership of the Church), I would feel more obligated to accept the assertion as revealed truth. It's only one example, that does not carry the same emotional baggage that many other examples carry.

Edited by MrShorty

17 hours ago, Fether said:

New book of scripture

Women to hold priesthood

Baptism by sprinkling

Single men allowed to go on missions after age 25 like sisters

Shorter garments to coincide with shorter church meetings

New youth dress standards to match the new garments more revealing standard

Participation in choir required for temple recommend

Word of Wisdom to either accept or reject marijuana

Church social network app roles out specifically for ministering

The passing of a general authority or close family member

Ordinances for pets to be more inclusive of "parents" without human children

Young Women's President/Relief Society President to conduct worthiness interviews for sisters

President Nelson undertaking to translate sealed portion of Gold Plates

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Scott said:

I'm guessing that more will be announced on the new Youth Program, which is scheduled to be in place by 2020.

Is that the churches replacement for the boy scouts? 

Bye bye early morning seminary!! 

Civil marriage  before temple sealing- no longer need to wait a year

Bishops relieved of leading Priest quorum and other jobs to lighten his load. I don't know how this would be enforced but somehow reduce the amount of minuscule things he has to oversee.  After sitting in a meeting with the bishopric, YW and YM leaders last Sunday I came out with my head swirling on the minutia we get caught up in and how inefficient it is to have so much resting in the bishop's lap. For example- we have some great, spiritual and efficient camp leaders for the YW but apparently they can't move forward until the bishop approves the camp theme. It has to be presented and prayed over by him. 

Yearly interviews for youth changed to every two years -  Our bishop is so seriously swamped with interviews since changes were made. He's months behind.  The recent changes added 27 youth to the number he had to interview, let alone ward deaths and adult issues he has to deal with. It's nuts!!

And while we're at it, Bishops can use a stamp with his signature rather than hand signing every single form that lands on his desk. 

Stake presidents to keep their fingers out of the ward and missionary pot. ( Ours just mandated that missionaries can only eat with members if there is a non- member or recently baptized or re-activated member there. Isn't that supposed to be up to the mission president?)

Sacrament only once/month to make it more meaningful and anticipated rather than so routine and automatic. 

Ditto for a spiritually meaningful Mutual. Kids can get together to play basketball or cook or paint their nails once a week if they want. ( Again, our stake president mandates that EVERY Mutual activity be spiritual.) 

Just my thoughts

1 hour ago, carlimac said:

Bishops relieved of leading Priest quorum and other jobs to lighten his load.

Stake presidents to keep their fingers out of the ward and missionary pot. ( Ours just mandated that missionaries can only eat with members if there is a non- member or recently baptized or re-activated member there. Isn't that supposed to be up to the mission president?)

Bishops are presidents of the aaronic priesthood which is why they lead the Priest quorum and have assistants rather than counselors. So, for this to change there would have to be a change to doctrine.

Our stake has the same rule for missionaries, but that actually is from the mission president. I am assuming your stake president is following what the mission president has been counseled. Personally, I am not fond of this rule due to serving a mission myself. I understand the desire behind it. I personally don't think we should need anyone but our family to feed the Lord's missionaries, but it appears your stake and mission president are moving forward with what is happening already in other areas.