Can salt lose it savor?

mikbone

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

I did some research on the topic today.   Salt (NaCl) as far as I know does not lose it flavor.  

That may be true of pure salt,  It isn't true for corrupted salt--which is, I believe,e ,the point of the relevant passage in the Sermon on the Mount.

It is not uncommon to find salt crystals (Hialite or Rock Salt), mixed with sulfur and other nasty tasting minerals or chemicals.  

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I'd have to search for the source, but I do remember that it is considered a mistranslation among biblical historians.  Salt was valuable in ancient times and the correct translation was about the earth losing its salt rather than the salt losing its savor.

Any cook will tell you that salt will lose it's flavor if it gets wet or tainted, like with moisture from boiling water, water, oil or any non-food stuff like soap, or perfume.  The large salt shaker I keep near the stove I put rice in to absorb any moisture. I do this with the black pepper shaker too. When I fill the shaker, I dump the rice and put in fresh.

I buy salt in the 6 lb 8oz can by Augason Farms. Once opened I keep some in a Tupperware container, the rest I vacuum seal in bags.

13 hours ago, mikbone said:

I did some research on the topic today.  

Salt (NaCl) as far as I know does not lose it flavor. 

The Sermon on the Mount teaches us not to contaminate salt, thereby diluting or masking its effective flavor and usefulness. Note that Dead Sea salt contains 21 minerals including magnesium, calcium, sulfur, bromide, iodine, sodium, zinc and potassium, yet was considered pure; I'm sure the salt obtained from Biblical regions was likewise considered pure.

5912F5DF-D2EC-4DF6-8635-1E2BFD880E75.thumb.png.908e0f7a57871615a3756ac36462949d.png

DA7968B8-6398-4773-AD76-1FF449582A44.gif.74131c51b05b2a6a06d6f0d2979b197e.gif

As posted above, there is probably nothing available as ‘pure’ NaCl table salt.

And Dead Sea salt is only 30% NaCl, but it is likely that most of Israel used Mediterranean sea salt instead of the Dead Sea salt, for food and preservation.

Interestingly though, Dead Sea salt is commonly used today as a bath salt for a “unique restorative spa treatment”.  Thus it would be appropriately used to be trodden underfoot to soak ones aching dogs.

37F13E43-A817-4CCD-9A09-8EC30CDEDBF0.thumb.jpeg.a4131e65e44f360800b7bf2d1c2cc9e5.jpeg

Edited by mikbone

33 minutes ago, mikbone said:

And Dead Sea salt is only 30% NaCl, but it is likely that most of Israel used Mediterranean sea salt instead of the Dead Sea salt, for food and preservation.

Interestingly though, Dead Sea salt is commonly used today as a bath salt for a “unique restorative spa treatment”.  Thus it would be appropriately used to be trodden underfoot to soak ones aching dogs.

"Salt sources in Ancient Israel: The main source of salt in the region was the area of the Dead Sea..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_in_the_Bible 

On 2/19/2019 at 12:58 AM, Iggy said:

I buy salt in the 6 lb 8oz can by Augason Farms. Once opened I keep some in a Tupperware container, the rest I vacuum seal in bags.

That shows us what your problem is.  You need REAL Salt.  That other stuff is yuck.  The REAL stuff you can get from Redmond Utah....

Remember- keep your money local, where it counts!  (wink)

9 hours ago, mikbone said:

5912F5DF-D2EC-4DF6-8635-1E2BFD880E75.thumb.png.908e0f7a57871615a3756ac36462949d.png

DA7968B8-6398-4773-AD76-1FF449582A44.gif.74131c51b05b2a6a06d6f0d2979b197e.gif

37F13E43-A817-4CCD-9A09-8EC30CDEDBF0.thumb.jpeg.a4131e65e44f360800b7bf2d1c2cc9e5.jpeg

Thank you for showing us your toe jam....

The Dead Sea is believed to have healing benefits if bathed in - but (and I speak from experience) getting some of the Dead Sea salted water in your eyes is very painful - and I am told can cause blindness.  No one snorkels or dives in the Dead Sea more than once and are warned repeatedly not to try it.  It is a crime (though minor but closely monitored) to splash on others while bathing in the Dead Sea.

The Traveler

Ah, a fond story from Utah.

The Bonneville Salt Flats - home to various land speed records.  They like the salt flats because, well, they're flat, and a good place to race if you want a place to get up to 409.277 MPH after one mile.  The salt showed up a bazillion years ago, and is still there being flat.

I know the nuclear waste industry also likes salt domes, because it can take a bazillion years for the salt to show up, and it wouldn't be there if there was geological instability.  So, it's a reasonable conclusion that you won't have earthquakes busting up your nuclear waste if you bury them in a salt dome.

As far as I know, none of that bazillion year old salt has lost it's savor.  I wanted to test that assumption and lick the ground when I was 5 and my dad took me to Bonneville, but my dad forbade it.  I guess it's up to some of you Utah dwellers to do it for me.

Edited by NeuroTypical

6 hours ago, pwrfrk said:

That shows us what your problem is.  You need REAL Salt.  That other stuff is yuck.  The REAL stuff you can get from Redmond Utah....

Remember- keep your money local, where it counts!  (wink)

Hmmm, salt is salt.

It is local - buy it at my local Walmart store. I buy quite a bit of Augason Farms products from Walmart.

Oh - youse is winking at me???? Hubby doesn't like it when fellers flirt with me, ( 😲 )

This may sound funny, but some salt tastes saltier than other salt.

The salt that I get from Morton in the round containers is salty.  I like it.  I still have some hidden away.  Why?

Because my wife wants me to be healthy and has me use some sort of natural salt at the table.  It isn't even a quarter as salty.  This is why I sneak the Morton salt in a shaker and take it with me to season my lunches at work these days.  She can't force me to use that weak natural salt stuff at work when she's not there.

Different salt taste different.  Some taste saltier to me than others.