If you were to move to the SLC area...

Lost Boy

If you were to move to the SLC area, where would you buy a house?

Criteria and Budget.

1) $400k max

2) Attached garage

3) 4 bedroom 2 bath.  2500+ sqft.

4) kids all grown so I don't care about school district

5) Safe

6) work would probably be around 2100 s and I215.  I want a less than 30 min commute.  Wife would probably work at the airport and she would want the same.

7) newer than 1990.

And no, I don't have a job offer right now.  Just exploring an opportunity.

15 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

5) Safe

6) work would probably be around 2100 s and I215.  I want a less than 30 min commute.  Wife would probably work at the airport and she would want the same.

Safe is a relative term I guess, but that area has a bad reputation when it comes to crime.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Stansbury Park. Probably about 45 minutes to SLC, safe and clean and it is a relatively new and fast growing community. It’s a small town but close to Tooele and SLC

Edited by Fether

Hmm, I'd probably look at houses in Sandy, though they may be a little above your price range currently for that size of house.  You may be able to get a smaller house (that has 4 bedrooms) in that price range. 

If you get anything south of Draper your commute will sometimes be a lot longer.  Due to all the incoming businesses and increased population of that area and south to around Lehi, traffic has slowed tremendously during rush hour between Exit 279 and 291.

I'd probably look more on the East Side of I-15 in regards to housing, but many areas of that tend to be more expensive. 

Closer areas would probably be Murray, or Holladay.

I'm not a resident though (have some children that live in that area and the Provo/Orem area so I visit) so those who actually live in Utah and SLC probably have better advice.

Edited by JohnsonJones

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, Backroads said:

I'm horrified at these housing prices. I We paid 140 

Never discount Man's appetite for greed and money.

It's really taken off in some areas of the US in the past two decades. 

One reason I feel the price of housing has far outstripped wages in many areas. 

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Never discount Man's appetite for greed and money.

It's really taken off in some areas of the US in the past two decades. 

One reason I feel the price of housing has far outstripped wages in many areas. 

That's the great thing about capitalism - the price of anything is always going to be the amount someone is willing to pay for within the time the seller is willing to wait for.  Unless the government decides to insert themselves into the process.