Captain Marvel and the press

The Folk Prophet

19 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Realistically: between finding a sitter (I have none) and the price of said sitter and tickets, and the inconvenience of the whole thing, we only actually go to a theater every ~3 years or so.  Netflix streaming/dvd's are way simpler for us.  

Once those kiddos get a bit older, you may be in for a treat.  Everyone has power reclining leather sofa movie seats now.

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

Actually go to ... the theater?  WHAT!?!?!  You speak blasphemy!!!   NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Realistically: between finding a sitter (I have none) and the price of said sitter and tickets, and the inconvenience of the whole thing, we only actually go to a theater every ~3 years or so.  Netflix streaming/dvd's are way simpler for us.  

Right there with you.  The only thing that gets my butt into a theater seat these days is a Star Trek movie and on rare occasion, a superhero film.  (I used to get up for Star Wars movies, but Episode 9 has ensured that I'll be catching Episode 9 on home video.  Eventually.)   

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

Actually go to ... the theater?  WHAT!?!?!  You speak blasphemy!!!   NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pay $20/month to get 3 movies at the theater per week.  And I just ended up paying cash for 2 movies 2 weeks ago.  ;)

@NeuroTypical, you’ll love this.

This WWII vet is turning 100 years old on March 2 and all he wanted for his bday was 100 birthday cards.  His request got posted on a Trump fansite and...

8192F97E-D3B9-4052-B5DD-20E46EA29B2E.jpeg.7c2b69064bcd9fa648528ffd0778bd23.jpeg

Now, that Trump fan site posts Captain Marvel news because of the “leftist agenda”.  So imagine each one of those cards right there on that picture as one vote on Rotten Tomatoes.

Guest Godless
On 2/26/2019 at 4:54 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

So there's been backlash, right? Specifically, the "Want to see" vote on Rotten Tomatoes dropped and dropped until it hit 26%. Additionally the projected opening amount has dropped from somewhere around 200 mil to 150 mil, then to 100 mil, then to 80 mil.

It's already made $84M this weekend. Current estimate for the entire weekend is sitting at $160-280M. Looks like RT was trolled after all.

Just now, Midwest LDS said:

Fair enough. But I'm a weak man who likes watching over the top fight scenes and explosions.

I...don't. Not sure why. I guess it's the same gene set that makes me abhor professional wrestling even while I enjoy actual amateur wrestling, BJJ, and judo, and am (or was) a fan of MMA.

Some years ago, there was an ad campaign for one of those Turner-type TV stations, TBS maybe, with the tagline "Movies for Guys Who Like Movies". It applied far more to my wife than to me. I tend to get bored and irritated with such movies. Bond lost his appeal to me long ago, and not just because of the absurd and constant bedding of women.

Just now, Vort said:

I...don't. Not sure why. I guess it's the same gene set that makes me abhor professional wrestling even while I enjoy actual amateur wrestling, BJJ, and judo, and am (or was) a fan of MMA.

Some years ago, there was an ad campaign for one of those Turner-type TV stations, TBS maybe, with the tagline "Movies for Guys Who Like Movies". It applied far more to my wife than to me. I tend to get bored and irritated with such movies. Bond lost his appeal to me long ago, and not just because of the absurd and constant bedding of women.

I'll agree with you on Bond. Even without the women, it's just boring. My favorite type of movie is a well thought out historical flick, but unfortunately those are few and far between these days.

12 minutes ago, Suzie said:

I loved the movie! It was great! And this is Wonder Woman saying it.

What?! A woman who uses Wonder Woman as her avatar actually liked a superhero movie about (a female) Captain Marvel?

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! :)

2 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

I'm planning on seeing it. If I based my movie watching off of actors and actresses whose politics I don't like, I wouldn't watch any movies. 

That’s not the issue with Captain Marvel.  Chris Evans is a vocal political idiot.  Nobody says anything about Captain America.

The movie Captain Marvel itself is a feminist gimmick.

2 hours ago, Godless said:

It's already made $84M this weekend. Current estimate for the entire weekend is sitting at $160-280M. Looks like RT was trolled after all.

Sigh.  Everybody who threw shade at Captain Marvel said the movie will make tons of money.  I said it myself on this thread.  80,000 people on RT does not make a dent on MCU fans who are not in the culture war who will watch the movie no matter how crappy it is because it is marketed as an impactful continuity movie between Infinity War and the epic conclusion in Endgame.  That doesn’t make RT users Trolls.  

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Sigh.  Everybody who threw shade at Captain Marvel said the movie will make tons of money.  I said it myself on this thread.  80,000 people on RT does not make a dent on MCU fans who are not in the culture war who will watch the movie no matter how crappy it is because it is marketed as an impactful continuity movie between Infinity War and the epic conclusion in Endgame.  That doesn’t make RT users Trolls.  

I was responding to TFP's claim that box office projections were plummeting prior to the release. I'll admit that I fell behind on this thread a bit and didn't take notice of your post refuting his.

And when enough people are posting negative impressions on RT to give an overall negative outlook on a movie that many people (including some firm conservative LDS friends and family of mine) are already calling a top 5 MCU film, I believe that is the very definition of trolling.

2 hours ago, Godless said:

I was responding to TFP's claim that box office projections were plummeting prior to the release. I'll admit that I fell behind on this thread a bit and didn't take notice of your post refuting his.

And when enough people are posting negative impressions on RT to give an overall negative outlook on a movie that many people (including some firm conservative LDS friends and family of mine) are already calling a top 5 MCU film, I believe that is the very definition of trolling.

Really???  Top 5 MCU film???  Are you sure they saw Captain Marvel???

Let’s see, there’s at least 2 crazily amazing Avengers Films, at least 2 crazily amazing Ironman films, at least 2 crazily amazing Captain America, there’s Guardians, there’s Homecoming and there’s Ragnarok.

Methinks your family is not up to date on the MCU...

According to my family who has seen it (I haven’t... more on that later)... Captain Marvel fight scenes is like Black Panther - all a blur, there’s a point when you can’t even tell who’s who in the fight.  Captain Marvel is a Mary Sue who’s story arc has no mountains and valleys.  The movie was choppy, like too many shallow arcs patched together like a quilt.  And the retconned stories - like Fury’s eye was terrible.  They loved the de-aging.  They loved Ben Mendelsohn.  But for those who are comic fans... this movie is, as one of my fave youtuber describes it... criminal... for what they did to the characters and their background.

Captain Marvel is billed as the greatest of the Superheroes.  Thor just absorbed a dying star into his chest.... Captain Marvel movie doesn’t come close to that.

Okay... why I didn’t watch the movie.... I hated Infinity War.  Ragnarok is my favorite MCU movie, Loki my favorite character, and Infinity War wiped out the entire Ragnarok movie within the first 10 minutes.  I left the movie crying my eyes out.  I promised not to watch an MCU movie after that.  So, no Spiderverse, no Captain Marvel, probably will skip Endgame too, we’ll see. 

Edited by anatess2

Guest Godless
10 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Really???  Top 5 MCU film???  Are you sure they saw Captain Marvel???

Let’s see, there’s at least 2 crazily amazing Avengers Films, at least 2 crazily amazing Ironman films, at least 2 crazily amazing Captain America, there’s Guardians, there’s Homecoming and there’s Ragnarok.

Methinks your family is not up to date on the MCU...

Opinions. Everyone is entitled to them. And no, most moviegoers aren't rabid MCU nerds like you. 

According to my family who has seen it (I haven’t... more on that later)... Captain Marvel fight scenes is like Black Panther - all a blur, there’s a point when you can’t even tell who’s who in the fight.  Captain Marvel is a Mary Sue who’s story arc has no mountains and valleys.  The movie was choppy, like too many shallow arcs patched together like a quilt.  And the retconned stories - like Fury’s eye was terrible.  They loved the de-aging.  They loved Ben Mendelsohn.  But for those who are comic fans... this movie is, as one of my fave youtuber describes it... criminal... for what they did to the characters and their background.

Captain Marvel is billed as the greatest of the Superheroes.  Thor just absorbed a dying star into his chest.... Captain Marvel movie doesn’t come close to that.

I can't comment with my own thoughts yet as I haven't seen it. Just sharing the impressions I've seen so far, which seem to drastically contradict the pre-release projections outlined in the OP, which kinda proves my original point thst RT was being trolled. I'm hoping to have a chance to see the movie on Monday, though it'll depend on how early in the day our new couch gets here.

Okay... why I didn’t watch the movie.... I hated Infinity War.  Ragnarok is my favorite MCU movie, Loki my favorite character, and Infinity War wiped out the entire Ragnarok movie within the first 10 minutes.  I left the movie crying my eyes out.  I promised not to watch an MCU movie after that.  So, no Spiderverse, no Captain Marvel, probably will skip Endgame too, we’ll see. 

Aaaand suddenly I don't care much about your MCU opinions. Infinity War was rough, but there's an obvious long game to it that will presumably be brought to a conclusion in End Game. That was evident in the Ant Man/Wasp credit scene (and the End Game trailer illustrated this connection pretty clearly). So one movie rubbed you the wrong way. Considering you knew there would be a sequel with two in-between films, would it kill you to wait it out and see what the bigger picture is? The way I see it, Infinity War was the glue that brought all the pieces of the MCU together, and the new reality is that the story won't be contained in one movie. You're either along for the ride or you aren't. Looks like you aren't. That's your prerogative, but it definitely taints your status as an MCU authority. 

And Spiderverse was incredible, btw. Not an MCU flick per se, but tremendously better than I was expecting from an animated Spiderman film.

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, Godless said:

Aaaand suddenly I don't care much about your MCU opinions.

My brother and I had a long, long talk about this. Him and I don't care to hear the opinions of anyone about Marvel Comics movies if they can't name one-just ONE-active Marvel comic book writer.  

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

I'm ambivalent about the super hero movies. On one hand, I'm really happy that everyone is now suddenly interested in superheroes. On the other hand, I hate all of them because they were probably the people teasing me relentlessly for being a "comic book geek" for years. 

Guest Godless
1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

My brother and I had a long, long talk about this. Him and I don't care to hear the opinions of anyone about Marvel Comics movies if they can't name one-just ONE-Marvel comic book writer.  

I understand that viewpoint. But it's important to remember that most moviegoers aren't comic book nerds (full disclosure: I'm not), and that non-nerd majority is ultimately what will determine how well or poorly a movie does at the box office. 

It's like beer. The neckbeards who know the most about beer aren't the ones who keep the industry running. It's the casual drinkers who stick to one or two specific flavors who keep the lights on, and it's usually their dollars that brewers are chasing, not mine.

Guest LiterateParakeet
13 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

My brother and I had a long, long talk about this. Him and I don't care to hear the opinions of anyone about Marvel Comics movies if they can't name one-just ONE-active Marvel comic book writer.  

My 16 yr old loves comics. He's finally piqued my interest. Funny how he did, when we were having scripture study, he would say, "Well that reminds me of Spiderman . . ."

At first I thought he was being flippant, but then he would offer something thought provoking that connected Spiderman (my favorite superhero) and the scriptures. So now, I'm playing catch up as we bond over comics. He quizzes me on who is in the Marvel Universe and who is DC. It took me a bit to figure out what MCU referred  to. 

So when I read your post, I thought, "Uh no! Is my son going to ask me to learn the WRITERS next?"   Lol. 

I can't wait to watch Captain Marvel with him, but t I guess I can't give you my opinion, LOL!

Edited by LiterateParakeet

But for those who are comic fans... this movie is, as one of my fave youtuber describes it... criminal... for what they did to the characters and their background. 

Whoever thinks that Captain Marvel is "criminal" "feminist" or whatever other twist they want to add are spending way too much in front of a computer. Time out! lol

10 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I hated Infinity War

I came home from work late yesterday to find my family watching Infinity War. I watched for a little, was again offended by the bad language, made a mental note to talk with my wife and children about allowing such sewage into our home, and went off to find something more interesting to do. Other than the offensive language, the movie was mostly rather boring. Not as bad as other superhero movies, but really not very engaging. Since having my superhero-movie-sensor radically readjusted after watching the first Iron Man movie, and with the exception of a few good superhero movies, the genre under Marvel has been moving steadily back toward mediocrity or worse. I expect I'll see the sequel to Infinity War, just because the fam will want to. But I may abandon the genre after that, the way I have abandoned the James Bond franchise.

Guest LiterateParakeet
Just now, Suzie said:

But for those who are comic fans... this movie is, as one of my fave youtuber describes it... criminal... for what they did to the characters and their background. 

Whoever thinks that Captain Marvel is "criminal" "feminist" or whatever other twist they want to add are spending way too much in front of a computer. Time out! lol

Oh!  If it's feminist, that makes me want to see it more.  I  realize that isn't quite what you meant.  But if by "feminist" they mean strong, intelligent female characters....bring it!