Investigator

Guest Gallant Pioneer

Guest Gallant Pioneer

Hello everyone, I'm an investigator of the church who is about 90% in. 

I'm not here to cause trouble or ask awkward questions as I've already done my research. 

I just wanted to introduce myself and have a look around some of the topics and get caught up if you will. 

I'm actually sitting at work at the moment and about to read (JESUS THE CHRIST) by James E Talmage.

Hope this finds everyone well and I look forward to chatting with you. 

Guest Gallant Pioneer
17 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Hi and welcome GP!

Thanks for the welcome I hope you're well. 

14 minutes ago, unixknight said:

That's a fantastic book.  Good choice!

And welcome!

I'm enjoying it so far, it's the millennium edition, I won't lie, I can't help but think that this thing is big enough to knock out a burglar. 

7 hours ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

Thanks for the welcome I hope you're well. 

I'm enjoying it so far, it's the millennium edition, I won't lie, I can't help but think that this thing is big enough to knock out a burglar. 

Or to knock out a small tiger.

Guest Gallant Pioneer
1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

But that’s no fun! :D

Welcome!

OK lol, what's your thoughts on John Dehlin? 

When looking at his older stuff I read a lot of his followers say he was " standing for the truth" etc. 

Now ten years later with the monetization of YouTube his follower have dropped the whole truth seeker angle and now saying he's " building his brand" 

Didn't take me long to figure out that the ex mormon community is just another revenue stream.

Same goes for Runnells and his 90 pages of toilet paper. 

Is that more like it Anatess? Lol

Edited by Gallant Pioneer

56 minutes ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

OK lol, what's your thoughts on John Dehlin? 

When looking at his older stuff I read a lot of his followers say he was " standing for the truth" etc. 

Now ten years later with the monetization of YouTube his follower have dropped the whole truth seeker angle and now saying he's " building his brand" 

Didn't take me long to figure out that the ex mormon community is just another revenue stream.

Same goes for Runnells and his 90 pages of toilet paper. 

Is that more like it Anatess? Lol

Yep!  Except John Dehlin is so five minutes ago.  :D

Guest Gallant Pioneer
21 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Yep!  Except John Dehlin is so five minutes ago.  :D

That'll explain why im always late, battery in my watch needs replaced. 

One of the things I'm looking forward to on the personal level is looking into the different levels of heaven in the Lds belief. I was a student of Swedenborgs work for a long time so I instantly picked up a similarity there that I want to look into. 

Hope your weekend is off to a good start. 

Guest Gallant Pioneer
23 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

You asked this and then give EXACT answer I was going to give!

I sometimes get him mixed up with that david guy who is currently pushing eastern orthodoxy. The guy who can't help but wear sunglasses and admire himself in every video. It's an easy mistake as both are in their 50s with " I'm still calling the cops" haircuts and still talk like teenagers. 

I was taught by two missionaries from Rexburg, I'd like to know more about the place.

Guest Gallant Pioneer

What is Rexburg like as a place? I had it described to me as a little Stephen King-ish. I've heard that byu-i is strict and I think Elder Erying's son is in charge now. 

What's the collective mindset of Rexburg like, if there is such a thing. My Missionaries were raised by farming families. 

46 minutes ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

What is Rexburg like as a place? I had it described to me as a little Stephen King-ish. I've heard that byu-i is strict and I think Elder Erying's son is in charge now. 

What's the collective mindset of Rexburg like, if there is such a thing. My Missionaries were raised by farming families. 

Ok, so for Rexburg you have two populations living there:

1) The college students.

2) Everyone else, which mostly consists of potato farmers.  

Talking about population #1 BYU-I is very strict on things.  It is a Church ran school, so there is a lot cross over between church/faith into culture and rest of life.  For example, it's not uncommon to start any class with a prayer.  Various religion classes are required.   Additionally, because it is a Church ran school and vast majority of the operating cost actually come out of the Church budget, not student tuition (which the Church strives to keep very low).  There are certain behavioral requirements each person is required to abide by to attend the school.  Some of these are pretty logical (like no having opposite sex people sleeping at your place overnight).  Others are... cultural quicks that don't always make a lot of sense, especially at BYUI.  Like there's this long saga about whether or not flip-flops are acceptable attire.  And there's just the normal college town quirkiness with you have an abundance of young adults hanging around. 

Population #2: native Idahoans are good hard working people.  It's a small town, insular community, very devoted to faith.  With your usual small town quirks.  

Guest Gallant Pioneer
11 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Ok, so for Rexburg you have two populations living there:

1) The college students.

2) Everyone else, which mostly consists of potato farmers.  

Talking about population #1 BYU-I is very strict on things.  It is a Church ran school, so there is a lot cross over between church/faith into culture and rest of life.  For example, it's not uncommon to start any class with a prayer.  Various religion classes are required.   Additionally, because it is a Church ran school and vast majority of the operating cost actually come out of the Church budget, not student tuition (which the Church strives to keep very low).  There are certain behavioral requirements each person is required to abide by to attend the school.  Some of these are pretty logical (like no having opposite sex people sleeping at your place overnight).  Others are... cultural quicks that don't always make a lot of sense, especially at BYUI.  Like there's this long saga about whether or not flip-flops are acceptable attire.  And there's just the normal college town quirkiness with you have an abundance of young adults hanging around. 

Population #2: native Idahoans are good hard working people.  It's a small town, insular community, very devoted to faith.  With your usual small town quirks.  

Interesting, but flip flops though, where do sandals come into play in that debate. Surely the footwear of our Lord isn't deemed unworthy attire? 

Doesn't sound so bad I guess. Small towns do have their quirks like you say but nothing wrong with a town of hard working god fearing folks so I don't know why I was told it was Stephen King-ish... Maybe in an idealic way. 

What were your favorite things and your not so favorite things about the place?

Thanks for that insight sounds fascinating. 

3 hours ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

I sometimes get him mixed up with that david guy who is currently pushing eastern orthodoxy....

I'm curious who this "david guy" is that you are referring to.

M.

Edited by Maureen

5 hours ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

Interesting, but flip flops though, where do sandals come into play in that debate. Surely the footwear of our Lord isn't deemed unworthy attire? 

Doesn't sound so bad I guess. Small towns do have their quirks like you say but nothing wrong with a town of hard working god fearing folks so I don't know why I was told it was Stephen King-ish... Maybe in an idealic way. 

What were your favorite things and your not so favorite things about the place?

Thanks for that insight sounds fascinating. 

I'm not a Stephan King reader, so I'm admittedly not sure what that reference is to.

Honestly I did not enjoy my time in Rexburg.  Partially it was due to a mismatch of personality, and part of it was me just not handling some things well.  I'm from a place where there's a lot of diversity and people tend to be very honest (which includes if they don't like you, they curse you out).  Rexburg is very homogenous on the surface (of course not if you go deep, which I didn't bother with- my fault).  People are VERY nice.  They always smile at you, even when it's obvious that there's something upsetting them, and that really got under my skin.

I'm a recluse by nature, so I would try to eat lunch by myself to have 30 minutes of quiet in my otherwise 12 hours straight of classes.  And >90% of the time somebody would try to come sit with me and talk and be nice-- they wouldn't just leave me alone!  (Horrible right?).  In 20-20 hindsight, a polite comment explaining that this was my quiet time would have been the better way of handling things, instead of just inwardly raging.  Hey, I was 19 and stupid.  I was also horribly homesick and handling that in all the wrong ways.

But the reason I stayed as long as I did was the quality of education.  The professors truly care about their students, the education quality, focusing on wellness, and things like that.  Having now working with a dozen+ universities in some capacity, I have to say that BYUI did/does top notch on focusing on quality education and caring for those that want it. 

Guest Gallant Pioneer
6 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

I'm not a Stephan King reader, so I'm admittedly not sure what that reference is to.

Honestly I did not enjoy my time in Rexburg.  Partially it was due to a mismatch of personality, and part of it was me just not handling some things well.  I'm from a place where there's a lot of diversity and people tend to be very honest (which includes if they don't like you, they curse you out).  Rexburg is very homogenous on the surface (of course not if you go deep, which I didn't bother with- my fault).  People are VERY nice.  They always smile at you, even when it's obvious that there's something upsetting them, and that really got under my skin.

I'm a recluse by nature, so I would try to eat lunch by myself to have 30 minutes of quiet in my otherwise 12 hours straight of classes.  And >90% of the time somebody would try to come sit with me and talk and be nice-- they wouldn't just leave me alone!  (Horrible right?).  In 20-20 hindsight, a polite comment explaining that this was my quiet time would have been the better way of handling things, instead of just inwardly raging.  Hey, I was 19 and stupid.  I was also horribly homesick and handling that in all the wrong ways.

But the reason I stayed as long as I did was the quality of education.  The professors truly care about their students, the education quality, focusing on wellness, and things like that.  Having now working with a dozen+ universities in some capacity, I have to say that BYUI did/does top notch on focusing on quality education and caring for those that want it. 

That's very insightful thanks. 

I know what you mean about me time I was the very same during the factory work I did to pay my way through school. 12 shifts in a tight space with 5 guys speaking Polish the entire time. Never really had a problem with any of that so long as I could have my lunch to myself. 

I've heard good things about the uni so what you say there only confirms what I've been told. 

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. 

Guest Gallant Pioneer
On 3/1/2019 at 8:15 PM, Maureen said:

I'm curious who this "david guy" is that you are referring to.

M.

Dave Bartosiewicz I think his name is. Used to hang around a anti Mormon blog a while back. 

Edited by Gallant Pioneer