Hi im new

Alemmedial

Some of these posts look so cool i had to join. A little about myself. Married (but not in the temple) 4 kids.  A member of the church but not active.  My wife is not a member but i suspect interest.  I have been looking for ways to bring my family and myself closer to Christ (reading and praying).i don't want to go to lds.org and bother the online missionaries there because I feel like I'm more "advanced" then that. So I thought maybe joining this site and talking to members would help me. We'll see. Thanks 

May I suggest you be very prayerful about beginning to attend church.  You cannot lead some one where you will not go.  It  would be advisable that you tell your spouse that you would like to return and make it clear that you would welcome them should they ever want to attend with you, but that it has to be their decision.

If you spouse asks you how church was when you return home, share something you learned.  If a member asks how your family is doing, express their genuine interest to you family. 

If you and your wife enjoy playing games, going out to dinner or attending sporting events or movies, ask her if you can invite friends from church to join you so she can get to know others with common interests. Then she may feel comfortable attending ward social activities.  Your wife may have questions, that she doesn't want to ask you because she doesn't want to get your hopes up. Providing opportunities for her to make friends within your ward, will give her opportunities to get answers without being concerned about raising your expectations.

Ask your wife if you can occasionally invite the missionaries over or dinner.  Make it clear that they routinely share a scriptural message with their hosts and that she is not being singled out.

When I was 19 and going through a divorce,(Yes, you read that correctly.) a friend of mine from high school who had recently joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints invited me over for dinner and a singles family home evening group.  I needed the fellowship and willingly attended.  I am pretty outspoken and asked numerous questions. When the missionaries suggested that it would be easier to answer my questions if I listened to the missionary discussions, I felt a bit wary. Then I decided that I would listen, read and pray so I could genuinely tell my friend she had been deceived and bring her back to the Lutheran Church we both attended all our lives.  What I wasn't bargaining for was the answers I received.  I was  baptized 3 weeks later. That was 46 years ago. 

My spouse and 3 of our 4 children share my faith, but none of our extended family have embraced the Gospel.  We do our best to stay connected to them all and lead by example the best we can. I have several friends who have married those who are not member's of The Church who have eventually embraced the gospel.  For some it took a few years, for others 20-30 years. What is important is that you treat your spouse respectfully and show them love unfeigned for being the person who originally attracted you to them. Love and prayers, Lynn

It's Lynn again.  May I suggest that you invite your family to study the "Come Follow Me" curriculum. Since we are studying the New Testament it would be common ground if your wife has a Christian background and it would invite the spirit into your home. You didn't state the ages of your children, but I'm sure members in your area would be willing to have you over to see how they approach it with their family.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:41 AM, MormonGator said:

Hey bro. I'm not active either, and I'm here for the same reasons-to be connected to people whom I admire. Welcome! 

Thanks bro! It's good to hear from someone on my level for once.

Edited by Alemmedial

Welcome @Alemmedial!  I suggest you find out who your Ward Missionaries are!  They're not the full-time missionaries, they're people who are in your ward who are given the calling to reach out to those inactive families.  The easiest way to find out who your ward missionaries are is to call the full-time missionaries.  ;)

My husband was inactive for a while (I was Catholic then) and to get back to Church he basically just showed up at Sacrament Meeting and found out what day they have basketball.  And that's all he did - went to Sacrament Meeting and played basketball every week while him and the bishop worked on his repentance process.  Took a while, by the time I got baptized 4 years later, he was not ready to baptize me.  But a year later, we both qualified to enter the temple and get sealed, 3 weeks before I delivered our first child.

So yeah.  Baby steps.  One step forward at a time.  Take your time.  Christ will guide you.

14 hours ago, anatess2 said:

But a year later, we both qualified to enter the temple and get sealed, 3 weeks before I delivered our first child.

So yeah.  Baby steps.  One step forward at a time.  Take your time.  Christ will guide you.

Congratulations! I love your story. Hearing from you guys strangely fits in my current journey, if that makes any sense.  Especially about baby steps he. thanks for the advice. I'm glad i joined this forum.😁