Gun people: Tell me about the M18

Vort

I'm not military but my son is big time into guns so this is only things I've heard from that single grapevine.  So, as I've heard, back in the 80's the military was using Berettas as they were the cheaper option and the M9 was the compact sidearm the military was using.  But, the SEALs refuse to carry the M9 because there's a reliability issue with the slides and it caused a failure in combat.  The SEALs have been using the Sig Sauer equivalent.  So,  the military went and field tested both the Beretta and the Sig Sauer models.  The Sig Sauer won over the Beretta in reliability testing failing only once in 15,000 rounds.  So some branches of the military ditched the Beretta for the Sig Sauers.

So, a few years ago, a need for a more compact sidearm was submitted and Sig Sauer won out again in reliability testing with the M18.  As part of an attempt to be more efficient and cost effective, the military decided to use a uniform model across all branches.  So, no more Berettas.

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

Not at the moment, though it's a future possibility. I'm just looking to be decently educated on the subject, and at least understand what upgrades the military was wanting to make in the switch.

The M11 (SS equivalent of the M9) and the more compact M18 are preferred by the lady soldiers due to the grip.

The United States Army is also currently in the process of switching out M-4 and M-16 long guns to a new 6.8 millimeter rifle round.  It is not going to be the 6.8 x 43 Special Purpose Cartridge round.  It will have higher muzzle velocity and some sources state it will be effective to over 550 meters. 

I hope they make the change.  I never liked the 5.56 x 45 cartridge.  When the civilian market started making the .300 AAC Blackout round popular for the AR-15 I was very happy. 

Read more on the 6.8 millimeter round at: https://www.tactical-life.com/news/us-army-6-8mm-weapon-systems/
and
https://www.tactical-life.com/lifestyle/military-and-police/next-gen-us-army-6-8mm-round/

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

2 hours ago, Vort said:

Not at the moment, though it's a future possibility. I'm just looking to be decently educated on the subject, and at least understand what upgrades the military was wanting to make in the switch.

The best way to pick a gun for yourself is to ask all the gun guys what they like and why.  Then throw most of that out the window and go shoot a bunch of guns.  Whichever one feels best to you is the right gun.

2 hours ago, Vort said:

For a first time buyer I would recommend the Taurus Millennium G2. It is a reliable gun that is very inexpensive. I have never had a misfire or a failed extraction in mine. It also has very textured grips which are good for first time shooters, and is comfortable to carry. The grip is on the smaller side though, so if you have large hands it may not be comfortable...definitely hold and handle several in the store before you buy. If you find that you enjoy shooting and become proficient, than at that point I would recommend spending more on a second gun with more features, and possibly a higher caliber.

5 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Love my 1911.  I reload, which helps.

The only problem I had (and I understand this to be common among all M1911 models) is that if I tried to shoot anything other than regular ball ammo it jammed horribly.  Mine was so picky it didn't like steel cased ammo either.  

8 minutes ago, unixknight said:

The only problem I had (and I understand this to be common among all M1911 models) is that if I tried to shoot anything other than regular ball ammo it jammed horribly.  Mine was so picky it didn't like steel cased ammo either.  

Interesting.  I never noticed an issue with mine.  Granted, I don't shoot it as much as I used to.  I tend to stick to my favorites.

1 minute ago, Grunt said:

Interesting.  I never noticed an issue with mine.  Granted, I don't shoot it as much as I used to.  I tend to stick to my favorites.

I had been trying to find ways to reduce the ammo cost, so first I tried rounds with a beveled bullet.  (I forget what they were called.)  Horrible jam.  Barely  made it through the box.  Then I tried flathead since we were just shooting paper targets anyway... even worse.  

So I went back to ball ammo, but I tried these steel case Russian rounds hat I got from a gun show that worked okay, except that sometimes the ejection lever would get caught in the base of the casing and jam it up after the shot was fired.  It happened about once every 10 shots or so, so it wasn't too bad, but I'd never want to rely on those in an actual defense scenario.

Finding good ammo can be tough.  I just use wad cutters for putting holes in paper.  Have you ever considered casting your own?  Trying different things until you find what works?  I use different loads for different firearms.  Some just seem to like different things.