Anybody do Intermittent Fasting? I have a question

dahlia

So, I've been doing maybe 85% keto for a few months to lower my blood sugar. Doc is fine with it, before the food police show up. :D  I am working on being more strict with myself.

I thought I would try intermittent fasting, trying to work up to one meal a day. Again, this is OK for diabetics; I'm fine. I'm on a couple of keto FB pages and know that a lot of folks drink coffee (bulletproof or not), which doesn't mess with their fast. Obviously, that's a no no for me.

If people can put fat in their coffee, what would be the problem with me having a cup of almond or soy milk? I've been doing fine not eating, but I admit a cup of something might be nice, if not at breakfast, then after I've been at work for awhile. 

Thoughts?  Will I mess up the process if I have unsweetened non-dairy milk?

Also, I've never been able to do a full fast Sunday because my endo said a diabetic on meds shouldn't fast. That was a few years ago and I no longer take insulin most mornings, because my control is better (I can see a regular doctor and don't need the endo anymore). Anyway, since I've been doing the IF, and we've got early church, I thought I'd try missing breakfast for fast Sunday.  I felt fine! I'm so happy I can do this. I felt something was missing from my LDS experience by not fasting.  I don't know if I can miss 2 meals and still feel OK, but we'll see. Meanwhile, I think I'll keep up the fast every Sunday and see how it goes. It's only a few hours. And to quote Dr. Now from 'My 600 lb Life', "No, you don't have to eat something. You've got 800 lbs of food in you."  No, I'm not 600 or 800 , but you get the point. There's enough padding; I won't pass out.

A lot of this stuff seems to be in your head. You can do a lot of things if you try. There are very obese diabetics who are doing a couple of fasts each week to push changes to their control. I was so afraid that 'something might happen' if I didn't eat breakfast before church or work, that I didn't even try. Big baby. 

I'm glad things are working out for you @dahlia!   My husband is diabetic, so things didn't remotely go over my head- this is talk is pretty routine for us actually.  Additionally, I get really sick and start puking if I miss two or three meals, so I relate to you there.

My philosophy: the purpose of fasting is for humility and putting the Lord first.  It's not to make yourself literally sick.  So do what works best for you.  I'm really glad you've found a good method of control and are rocking it out.  Keep in tune with the Spirit and your body, sister!

So here is the deal with intermittent fasting. One big benefit of it is the fact that your body is not trying to make insulin all day. Some current fad diets push for small meals throughout the day. This is great for some purposes, but when you do this your body is making insulin all day long and your insulin resistance increases during this. Which increases weight gain and problems with diabetes. If you put any food in your body, calories or mo calories, your body will begin making insulin (partly why diet soda doesn’t help that much with weight gain).

I am not diabetic so I don’t deal with the same issues you do. But when I fast for health purposes, I only consume water. Anything else would create insulin and negate the purpose of me doing the fast.

Edited by Fether