Introducing The Baptist Mormon Preacher

dr.lynn

Hi,

My name is Lynn Ridenhour.

I'm a Southern Baptist Minister who lives in Independence, MO.

For the past 22 years I have been preaching out of both the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and believe that Book of Mormon Christians and Bible-believing Christians have far more in common than all our differences. Are there differences? Of course. But I believe it's time we began celebrating our commonalities rather than continue to magnify our differences.

I'm interested in building bridges.

If interested, my blog is: www.baptistmormonpreacher.typepad.com

His Blessings,

Lynn

Welcome Lynn! I have run across Mr. Ridenhour on other, now-defunct message boards, and have found him to be very knowledgeable and interesting to read. Hope you enjoy your time here, Lynn. PLease feel free to share your background if you'd like. Actually, Pale, I'm kind of surprised you haven't heard of him before. :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Welcome Lynn! I have run across Mr. Ridenhour on other, now-defunct message boards, and have found him to be very knowledgeable and interesting to read. Hope you enjoy your time here, Lynn. PLease feel free to share your background if you'd like. Actually, Pale, I'm kind of surprised you haven't heard of him before. :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

This is my first time hearing about him.......believe me, I have heard alot of things but not about him.

Hi,

For the past 22 years I have been preaching out of both the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and believe that Book of Mormon Christians and Bible-believing Christians have far more in common than all our differences. Are there differences? Of course. But I believe it's time we began celebrating our commonalities rather than continue to magnify our differences.

His Blessings,

Lynn

I'm a Book of Mormon-believing Christian AND a Bible-believing Christian so what does that make me?BTW...your blog is....interesting.

Lynn

Thank you Lynn for sharing. My question like many what made you to decide to preach from both the Bible and the Book of Mormon? Many people claim that the Book of Mormon is made up of stories from the Bible, I of course have read the book of mormon through and most of the bible and didn't see or remember seeing any stories in the BoM read anything like the bible. Your thoughts since you're preaching from both.

Welcome Lynn,

I'm looking forward to your contributions, as a Christian from a faith tradition part of whose reason of existince was to restore unity among Christians, I applaud your seeking to reach out to Christ's sheep in both communities.

I ran into a small Church group in North Carolina that taught lessons from The Book of Mormon, but they took only the portions of it with which they agreed and considered it to be a half-truth sort of book. Certainly I would advocate any belief in any portion of the teachings of The Book of Mormon, but because of the circumstances of it's origin, it seems to me to be an all-or-nothing type book. If the only good that is in it is what it has in common with the Bible, then I see only redundance there. I can only see a benefit from it if it offers something we don't already know.

There are many in the Independence area that have a faith in The Book of Mormon and even in Joseph Smith, but are undetermined regarding the current representation of the Church founded by the Prophet.

What type of membership do you have there? Do many of them have ancestory that was involved in the pre-Utah LDS History? What about yourself?

-a-train

Thank everyone for such a warm welcome!

Sorry for not getting back with the questions--which, by the way, are excellent.

Please forgive the delay, but pre-occupied with Christmas/family.

Should have a bit of time in the next day or so to respond.

Again, thanks for the warm welc ome.

Lynn

Prisonchaplain writes,

How interesting this is! You've had no negative feedback from preaching out of the BoM in Baptist churches?

I wish I could say that's so. Actually, I'm like Ronald Reagan. My gang either loves me or hates me. I'm either a heel or hero to most. An apostle plowing new ground or an apostate digging my own grave. For sure, there's been no ambiguity about how my peers feel about what we do.

I must say, however, that in my 22 years of doing what I do, I've never been thrown out of a pulpit. It's never come to that.

I understand that some of those churches won't even hear from non-KJV Bibles.

You're correct in saying that.

It would be good to hear some of your stories.

I do have some stories to share. And will.

Lynn

As a Latter Day Saint living in the Bible Belt in Southern Missouri....I am curious to know how you have gotten away with preaching out of the Book of Mormon...... :hmmm::dontknow:

Sometimes I ask the same.

I really don't have an answer for that. I have always tried to avoid the two extremes: 1) deliberately laying low for fear of retribution, and 2) deliberately flaunting our work.

I simply go about our business of what we do: building bridges between Book of Mormon Christians and Bible-believing Christians, and, as Joseph said, let truth cut its own path.

Wish I could be more specific.

Lynn

Prisonchaplain writes,

I have heard of some non-LDS churches who use the BoM, but mainstream SBC churches...curious to hear more.

We're definitely the exception, not the norm. And it's not been smooth sailing. I have had rainting SBC pastors swear they were going to have my license pulled.

Thankfully, it always comes to naught.

Looks like the website is just beginning.

Correct. We're very excited about our blog. And we intend over the next few months to continue adding material, thereby making it more appealing.

I've already added "My Statement of Repentance" I publicly read before LDS brothers and sisters in Salt Lake; also a word about our being invited to have lunch at the Lion's House, hosted by President Hinckley, and a word about our Building Bridges Ministries.

Simply click on the sidebar "Ministries."

Thanks for commenting.

Lynn

John Doe remarks,

Welcome Lynn! I have run across Mr. Ridenhour on other, now-defunct message boards...

That's me.

...and have found him to be very knowledgeable and interesting to read. Hope you enjoy your time here, Lynn. PLease feel free to share your background if you'd like.

Thank you for your warm and kind words.

Actually, Pale, I'm kind of surprised you haven't heard of him before. :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

I love this idea! The more I read of the Book of Morman the more I wonder, what are we fighting about? We're all hoping for the same things...

Ditto!

<div class='quotemain'>

Hi,

His Blessings,

Lynn

I'm a Book of Mormon-believing Christian AND a Bible-believing Christian so what does that make me?BTW...your blog is....interesting.

You caught me!

Legitimate point you have.

Actually a fair one at that. I concede. It's not totally fair to categorize the two camps the way I do; i.e., Bible-believing Christians and Book of Mormon Christians for the very distinction you make.

LDS believe in both books.

The problem is: my gang doesn't. That is, we're Stick of Judah Lovers only. You, on the other hand, bear an affection for both sticks -- the Stick of Joseph & the Stick of Judah.

To give you a direct answer, though perhaps not a satisfactory one--I do it primarily for the sake of convenience. That is, it's so much easier to say: Book of Mormon Christians and Bible-believing Christians. Am I precisely correct? No. I pray, however, you do not sense any mean-spiritedness in the labeling.

Lynn

"...Thank you Lynn for sharing. My question like many what made you to decide to preach from both the Bible and the Book of Mormon? Many people claim that the Book of Mormon is made up of stories from the Bible, I of course have read the book of mormon through and most of the bible and didn't see or remember seeing any stories in the BoM read anything like the bible. Your thoughts since you're preaching from both."

To begin with, the claim that the Book of Mormon is a mere redundancy of the Bible falls short. Won’t hold up. If anything, the book explains and clarifies in much more specific terms. I’m saying—I find the Bible more likely to introduce subjects in generalities, and remain in the shallow end of the pond. The Book of Mormon, however, is much more inclined to be precise and concrete, and head out into the deep. I give you but one example: The House of Israel. I find the storyline of Israel presented in much more depth in the Book of Mormon than in the Bible.

Also, one of the main reasons I preach from both books is: I discovered those same “inspirational clues” in the Book of Mormon that hint of an ancient’s text’s own authenticity. I’m saying—I find both the Bible and the Book of Mormon to be reliable, to say it in layman’s terms. The same Holy Spirit wrote both.

Lynn

I ran into a small Church group in North Carolina that taught lessons from The Book of Mormon, but they took only the portions of it with which they agreed and considered it to be a half-truth sort of book. Certainly I would advocate any belief in any portion of the teachings of The Book of Mormon, but because of the circumstances of it's origin, it seems to me to be an all-or-nothing type book. If the only good that is in it is what it has in common with the Bible, then I see only redundance there. I can only see a benefit from it if it offers something we don't already know.

There are many in the Independence area that have a faith in The Book of Mormon and even in Joseph Smith, but are undetermined regarding the current representation of the Church founded by the Prophet.

What type of membership do you have there? Do many of them have ancestory that was involved in the pre-Utah LDS History? What about yourself?

-a-train

Good observations.

You're so right. The Book of Mormon is not a pick 'n choose smorgasbord. We don't read it cafeteria-style.

What type of membership do we have? All kinds, really. We're actually somewhat difficult to profile. We have those who do not embrace the Book of Mormon. We have those who come from no religious background. We have those who come from 3 & 4 LDS staunch generations. We have RLDS, Restoration Branch, Elijah Messenger members--all Book of Mormon backgounds. We have those with Baptist, Pentecostal, Episcopalian, Methodist, Catholic, Lutheran, and even Jewish backgrounds. Yes, we have Messianic Jews who are with us and who embrace the Book of Mormon.

We have the homeless and doctors and lawyers business men & women and university professors and dental hygienists and chiropractors and NDs and vegetarians and students and stay-at-home moms and old and young...and...you name it. We're a mix.

No. The Book of Mormon is never an issue.

Lynn

I'm a Book of Mormon-believing Christian AND a Bible-believing Christian so what does that make me?

my brother!! (and 10% poorer) ;)

90% richer?

I have had rainting SBC pastors swear they were going to have my license pulled.

Under whose authority?

To begin with, the claim that the Book of Mormon is a mere redundancy of the Bible falls short. Won’t hold up. If anything, the book explains and clarifies in much more specific terms. I’m saying—I find the Bible more likely to introduce subjects in generalities, and remain in the shallow end of the pond. The Book of Mormon, however, is much more inclined to be precise and concrete, and head out into the deep. I give you but one example: The House of Israel. I find the storyline of Israel presented in much more depth in the Book of Mormon than in the Bible.

Also, one of the main reasons I preach from both books is: I discovered those same “inspirational clues” in the Book of Mormon that hint of an ancient’s text’s own authenticity. I’m saying—I find both the Bible and the Book of Mormon to be reliable, to say it in layman’s terms. The same Holy Spirit wrote both.

Lynn

I absolutely agree.

I'm still in shock that such a congregation exists, though, under the SBC umbrella. Interesting!

As FYI, the Southern Baptist Convention has a congregational form of governance. Therefore, authority rests with the individual church (or ward, if you will). So, unless the congregation that ordained our original poster chose to pull his ordination, there is not much other ministers can do. Further, even if that congregation did pull his ordination, so long as the one he serves now is willing to ordain him, there would be no effect.

So, while our brother seems to have pulled off a miracle (and it is amazing!), the local congregation emphasis of the SBC allows such to take place, despite the very conservative and hardline persona this movement is sometimes portrayed with in the media.

As FYI, the Southern Baptist Convention has a congregational form of governance. Therefore, authority rests with the individual church (or ward, if you will). So, unless the congregation that ordained our original poster chose to pull his ordination, there is not much other ministers can do. Further, even if that congregation did pull his ordination, so long as the one he serves now is willing to ordain him, there would be no effect.

So, while our brother seems to have pulled off a miracle (and it is amazing!), the local congregation emphasis of the SBC allows such to take place, despite the very conservative and hardline persona this movement is sometimes portrayed with in the media.

You nailed it.

Church government within the Southern Baptist Convention is always determined by local autonomy. You're 100% correct. I received my ordination from my local congregation. Not the national Southern Baptist Convention.

As a matter of information, about the only thing that would get me in trouble; that is, cause me to get my ordination papers pulled is: a financial scandel or infidelity. Ironically, though Southern Baptists take a conservative theological approach to our faith, we're not as conservative lin most other matters.

Lynn

BTW, I emphasize a lot the unity within the often chaotic seeming Protestant world. But, there are differences. If I were to do any of the following:

1. Become divorced and then remarry

2. Baptize someone in the name of Jesus only

3. Deny that speaking in tongues in the initial physical evidence of Spirit baptism

4. Knowingly officiate a wedding between a Christian and a non-Christian

I would have my credentials as a minister revoked.

i'll admit i read through this very quickly. so if i missed the answer i'm sorry. just wondering, have you ever lived in alabama and have you ever attended an lds chruch? :)

Never lived in Alabama. I've ministered in Alabama. In Huntington, to be exact. And yes, I've attended an lds church.

Lynn