Parable of the Sower: Heaven and Hell?

wenglund

In Matthew 13, we are told that Jesus spoke in parables so that some would come to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, while others would not.

I am wondering if one of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven is that the parable of the sower portends of the final judgement and resurrection? 

It not only speaks in binary terms of those to whom it is given to know, and those to whom it is not given (v. 11); as well as those who hath and hath not. (v.12), but it also speaks in matters of degree in relation to the ground upon which the seeds fell--i.e the wayside (outer darkness?), the stoney place (Telestial Kingdom?), the thorny place (Terrestrial Kingdom?), and the good earth (Celestial kingdom?) with its three types of fruit production (3 degrees of Celestial glory--30 fold, 60 fold, 100 fold?) ; where hell consists of those who hath not or once hath but the hath was taken away, whereas heaven consists of those to who once or still hath,.

What do you think?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Hale Swift, of the Interpreter Foundation, sees the Parable of the Sower as not only having temple imagery,  but also as symbolic of the three kingdoms of resurrected glory, though he views the fruits (30 fold, 60 fold, 100 fold) as indicative of the Telestial, Terrestrial, and Celestial glories:, rather than the three degrees within the Celestial kingdom (the transcript can be viewed HERE):

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

7 hours ago, wenglund said:

In Matthew 13, we are told that Jesus spoke in parables so that some would come to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, while others would not.

I am wondering if one of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven is that the parable of the sower portends of the final judgement and resurrection? 

It not only speaks in binary terms of those to whom it is given to know, and those to whom it is not given (v. 11); as well as those who hath and hath not. (v.12), but it also speaks in matters of degree in relation to the ground upon which the seeds fell--i.e the wayside (outer darkness?), the stoney place (Telestial Kingdom?), the thorny place (Terrestrial Kingdom?), and the good earth (Celestial kingdom?) with its three types of fruit production (3 degrees of Celestial glory--30 fold, 60 fold, 100 fold?) ; where hell consists of those who hath not or once hath but the hath was taken away, whereas heaven consists of those to who once or still hath,.

What do you think?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I think this is one level of understanding the parable. Just as the war in heaven continues in this world, behaviors such as those described in the parable of the sower continue into the next world.

To me this is my understanding of the parable of the sower:

Seed received by the wayside = unfruitful

Seed received into a stony place = unfruitful

Seed received among thorns = unfruitful

Seed received into good ground brings forth fruit.  The different fruitful people bring forth thirty, sixty and one hundred fold in fruit.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice