Ready for the Second Coming

heatherdo13

This week I've been studying Matthew 24 and Luke 21.  These chapters give the signs of Christ's Second Coming and also teach us how to be prepared.  Ever since I was a child, the signs of the Savior's coming have made me feel afraid of all the natural disasters, wars, and wickedness that will be (and are) upon the earth.  But as I studied this I found many things that have brought me peace.  Matthew 24:42-51 teaches how we should be always in a state of readiness.  Just like a faithful servant, who is found doing his work when his master returns, we can be engaged in the Lord's work on a daily basis.  Even though nobody knows exactly when He will return, if we simply focus on our daily choices to follow the Savior, then we will be ready whenever He comes.  In Luke 21:9, Christ also counsels us not to be scared of the things that will happen, because they must come to pass to fulfill all the prophecies.  Instead of viewing them in a negative light, we can shift our perspective and view these difficult times as the night before the dawn.  I love what it says in Luke 21:28 about lifting up our heads because our "redemption draweth nigh."  I know that if we are doing our best as disciples of Christ that we will be able to endure the trials of the last days and be ready and waiting when the Savior comes again.  

On 3/18/2019 at 7:49 AM, heatherdo13 said:

This week I've been studying Matthew 24 and Luke 21.  These chapters give the signs of Christ's Second Coming and also teach us how to be prepared.  Ever since I was a child, the signs of the Savior's coming have made me feel afraid of all the natural disasters, wars, and wickedness that will be (and are) upon the earth.  But as I studied this I found many things that have brought me peace.  Matthew 24:42-51 teaches how we should be always in a state of readiness.  Just like a faithful servant, who is found doing his work when his master returns, we can be engaged in the Lord's work on a daily basis.  Even though nobody knows exactly when He will return, if we simply focus on our daily choices to follow the Savior, then we will be ready whenever He comes.  In Luke 21:9, Christ also counsels us not to be scared of the things that will happen, because they must come to pass to fulfill all the prophecies.  Instead of viewing them in a negative light, we can shift our perspective and view these difficult times as the night before the dawn.  I love what it says in Luke 21:28 about lifting up our heads because our "redemption draweth nigh."  I know that if we are doing our best as disciples of Christ that we will be able to endure the trials of the last days and be ready and waiting when the Savior comes again.  

The topic of the end of times and the return of the Christ has always been an enigma to me.  I have pondered what is classically called the signs of the times.  Since the ascension of Christ there has not been an era in Christian history that it was not widely believed that Jesus would return within the lifespan of the rising generation.  All the wars, plagues, famine and other natural disasters have all been interpreted as divine signs that the return of Jesus is eminent.   The only sign I am confident of is the restoration of priesthood and the church which can be interpreted as something that occurred almost 200 years ago and yet we learn at each general conference that the restoration is still taking place as we speak.  

Many years ago I read a interesting book by a Christian critic.  Of the several things I found very interesting was one where he criticized Christians for being obsessed with a after life but without any idea or concept what such an after life would entail or be like.   I have often pondered what it means to be prepared for the return of Jesus.  In all honesty I must admit that I lack much of any concept of what needs to be prepared.   When I was younger I thought I was preparing for a mission.  I memorized all the discussions and 270 recommended scriptures.  I studied German because I thought I was inspired that I would be called to Germany - I was called and served in Oregon, Washington and Idaho.   When I met with my mission president to be released to go home he asked me why I did not send him any reports?  What reports? I responded.  No one ever informed me of any reports I should be sending to anyone other than the pink slips from the baptisms that my companion and I performed.  I also thought I had prepared for marriage.

For all of what I thought was preparation I have never had even one calling that regardless of whatever I thought - I was actually prepared.  I continue to be blindsided and amazed - and yes; oft times disappointed with what I have missed in my thoughtfully diligent preparations.   So when someone says we must prepare - I wonder if that means to be ready to be surprised, amazed, blindsided and bewildered but hopefully not too disappointed.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Sometimes you might be tempted to think as I did from time to time in my youth: “The way things are going, the world’s going to be over with. The end of the world is going to come before I get to where I should be.” Not so! You can look forward to doing it right --getting married, having a family, seeing your children and grandchildren, maybe even great-grandchildren.

Boyd K Packer -  Counsel to the Youth, October 2011

So long as I accept Jesus as my Savior, it really doesn't matter to me when He returns..  Of course there are other things as well, like repent, pay tithes, and yada yada yada, but essentially, so long am I'm on good terms with Him, He can come or go anytime He wants.

It’s the problems leading up to the second coming that I’m worried about. The goal is to be self-sufficient and off the grid, so I can avoid as much of the chaos as possible. Assuming I’ll be alive for the events leading up to the Second Coming.