Why send the wives

Alemmedial

Guest Mores
2 hours ago, Alemmedial said:

Why do you think it would have been a good idea to send your wives to plead for mercy? like in mosiah around chapter 24 (or even daughters a little before that)I might have thought it was a bad idea.

I believe you're talking about Mosiah 23:33?

This specific verse is talking about the priest of King Noah.  The wives were Lamanites.  No doubt some of the Lamanite men among them knew some of the Lamanite women.  If these men killed the priests, that would leave these women as widows with children.

3 hours ago, Mores said:

I believe you're talking about Mosiah 23:33?

This specific verse is talking about the priest of King Noah.  The wives were Lamanites.  No doubt some of the Lamanite men among them knew some of the Lamanite women.  If these men killed the priests, that would leave these women as widows with children.

I think this is the best reason. In addition, when you're sure to be killed, then as long as you aren't emotionally attached to your women and children, you risk nothing by putting them forward to see if your enemy will spare them instead of slaughter them. And even if you DO care about your women and children, it might still be worth a shot, when the alternative is that you and they both end up suffering cruel death and/or slavery.