Soup

Just_A_Guy

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, Mores said:

Boy! Just a few frilly words and you're ready to count ceiling tiles.

Name that movie!

Roxanne.  No Google. I love that movie. Probably because I love the original play, Cyrano de Bergerac. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Mores said:

Marry me!

Falsehood. Prejudice. Compromise. Cowardice.

My BA is in English, and in one class,  we were asked once to write a paper comparing a play to a movie. We could not use a Shakespearean play. Guess which one I picked. I'll wait. 

Guest Mores
7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Falsehood. Prejudice. Compromise. Cowardice.

My BA is in English, and in one class,  we were asked once to write a paper comparing a play to a movie. We could not use a Shakespearean play. Guess which one I picked. I'll wait. 

CdB.

I did she'd a tear at those closing lines you mentioned.

I'm always moved when hearing the words: Voici les cadets de Gascogne!

Edited by Mores

Guest Mores
16 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

For clarification so you can understand better.

Some do get married young.  I think one can get married when they get married. 

I have a problem when someone starts painting others as parasites when including phrases that describe people in the church.  I have two kids that were married at 20.  I had another kid that didn't get married till they were older.  I have a son that still isn't married and is his 30s.  Now I have someone telling me that some of my kids are parasites?

My kids pay their tithing, go to the temple, and are active in church, but because they fit into society (for the most part), and do not try to isolate or feel they are exclusive or exclude others...they are parasites?

My family are members...and we are part of a church of members that are a lot like us.  I am not alone, there are a TON of members in the church that do not fit this specific mold of feeling they need to marry young to be a faithful member, that we have to be exclusive or that we have to feel as committed to the church as some would think we have to be.

I have comments by General Authorities to back up everything stated in that little diddy, (and there's even the story where young men who weren't married by a certain age were considered a menace to society), but something from a website painting such a broad brush and calling what I perceive relates to most of the young people in the church today as Parasites?

I can actually understand the sentiment that we feel that we have higher standards or other such things.  I've probably said similar things myself, though I try to be more understanding of people.  However, when it is obvious peacock preening and it is tearing down their fellow members in such a blatant way, I'll point it out.

I understand their point, but they take it to the point of absurdity.

If that's what you're saying, then I think you over-reacted.  The way I saw it (and I have no idea if the original author or the OP meant it this way) was that this is simply a laundry list.  Just because ONE characteristic in this rather long list is reminiscent of some people you know, does not mean it is referring to them.

What does it take to be a jerk?  Is it a single characteristic?  Is it a whole long list?  Or is there some point where someone has at least several characteristics where some people might think that person is a jerk.  What then can be said of a person who has twice as many "jerk-like" characteristics than that first one?  Would not more people think he is a jerk?

Try not to take this too personally when you find that one or two people in your life have ONE characteristic on this long list.

Wow! to all of you. @Just_A_Guy why didn't you include where this quote of yours came from? My take on it is that an investigator is making his/her observations regarding our faith, giving their cons to our pros. As President Hinckley has said repeatedly: We are a UNIQUE Peoples. Not unusual.

What was said to me by my VT when I had just recently reactivated back into the church after 30 years: This is NOT an easy faith to live. It is NOT a maximum of one hour on Sunday, Easter & Christmas only church. It is a faith you live 24/7. We eat, breathe, walk, talk, think, sweat, pray, ponder our faith day in, day out, week in, week out, month after month.

Regarding LDS marrying young ~ it is odd how the majority of you who have commented consider 20 something's as young. In a lot of cultures, it is 13 for females. In some areas of these United States, it is 13 for females also. As a youth convert (was from a non-LDS family and I was baptized at 14) my impression of why we young women waited for Returned Missionaries was to wait for the young men to grow up & mature before marrying them. Pretty much all of the young men I knew who went on missions, had greatly matured at the end of said missions.