I'm a worrier..confusion and guilty feelings-if this is nothing to worry about please let me know because it's tormenting me

Meb7

I am having a really tough time right with guilty feelings. I feel like it is Satan messing with me because there is a lot of confusion. I have been married 13 years and have been faithful and love my wife so much. We are both active with temple recommends. The devil is strong and wants us to be sad and feel guilt. Last week I starting feeling guilty about things and told my wife and they were no big deal. After every time I told her about a guilty feeling something new would come to mind..it has been driving me crazy and has lasted 4 days. This time i feel guilty about the past and when I have had thoughts  about other women and think that they are hot but I would never allow the thinking to get sexual. Another guilty thought is in the past I have thought if my wife ever died (she was diagnosed with a disease which got me having these thoughts ) what would it be like to marry a different woman that I know and what would it be like. Another guilty feeling I have had is one night I was alone with another woman and teenagers and waiting for them to get rides home from an activity. I had thoughts come to mind that what if she came on to me.  All of these thoughts I have had never led to anything and it would the thoughts would be very temporary as I would never ever cheat on my wife. The past four days I really feel like the devil is making me feel guilty and putting guilty thoughts in my head to make me miserable and trying to get me to tell my wife these thoughts and to stir up my marriage. In no way do I want to concern my wife by telling her I have had these thoughts of other women because I don't know how accurate they are as I feel Satan is feeding my mind. Also, are they bad thoughts or normal? I never have sexual fantasies over another women.  I have just had those interesting thoughts that I mentioned but are temporary as I don't pay much attention to them so they don't lead to deeper thoughts that may become a problem . And the crazy thing is I don't even know how accurate these thoughts are because I never take them serious. Whenever a bad thought comes to my mind i just try to get rid of them asap as I do with all negative thinking. I'm just trying to be the best husband I can be every day and have a great relationship with my wife.

Please help me to know why I am having these guilty feelings and I just need confirmation that all of this confusion is from Satan and that I have not completed any major sin that I need to confess to my wife or bishop. Right?

This all probably sounds very minor and I probably sound crazy but I just needed to lay it out there and would love a response for confirmation for peace of mind.

Edited by Meb7

7 hours ago, Meb7 said:

Please help me to know why I am having these guilty feelings and I just need confirmation that all of this confusion is from Satan and that I have not completed any major sin that I need to confess to my wife or bishop. Right?

This all probably sounds very minor and I probably sound crazy but I just needed to lay it out there and would love a response for confirmation for peace of mind.

Honestly, what you're describing (the obsessiveness of it, despite rationally knowing nothing is wrong) sounds like OCD, which is a mental illness.  Could is possibly be that?

Yeah man, definitely worrying WAY too much... as in, worrying > 0 is too much here.

Obviously you know what you're supposed to be doing and not doing, and the fact that you care about it so much means that your heart and mind are otherwise right where they should be.  You're okay.  Stop worrying and no, you don't have anything to feel guilty over.

Stray thoughts come to mind for all of us, bro.  As you went down the list of incidents in your mind, I kept thinking "yep, me too."  The fact that you can tell your wife about it is awesome, because that means she trusts you and knows how to contextualize that stuff.  It's the same way with me.   In fact, she and I joke about it all the time.  I was  talking once with my Bishop about things in general and the conversation got onto these things, and he said the same thing I'm telling you here:

You can't necessarily control the stray thoughts that come into your mind.  What you can control is whether you feed those thoughts and what you do or don't do about them.  Clearly you aren't doing anything to encourage them, and you aren't acting on them.  That's where you should be.