Computer cord endings

Sunday21

Additional question! Does anyone know what this type of ending is called? 

I have an old monitor which takes these types of attachments. If I knew what these things were called, I might be able to search for a USB and one of these combinations. Thank you! Or it might be time to buy another monitor! 

01902472-C297-4539-9F82-60C7D1361B71.jpeg

Edited by Sunday21

The top picture is an VGA cord, usually used to connect a desktop tower to a super old monitor.  It's a really old type of connector, but you can still find them online.  You can also find combos with USB options.  

The second one is a just a power cord.  

Is it worth buying a new cord or monitor?  First of all, you need to make sure that it is the cord that's defective and not the monitor.  The easiest way is simply plug in a different cord and see if it's working. If it is the cord: it would be cheaper just to buy a new cord, but a basic monitor isn't very expensive either.  

Edited by Jane_Doe
Zil is smarter than me.

Actually, the top is a (male) VGA cable.  The bottom is a (female) power cable (plugs into the computer or monitor power port).  VGA is quite old and you may not be able to find a new monitor that takes one (you may need a VGA-something adapter if your computer's only video-out jack is VGA).  The power cable is pretty universal and should work on any monitor that uses removable power cords (but then, new monitors always come with their own power cords).

32 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Sorry, I explained badly! I have an old monitor that takes these devices. I would like to hook up my laptop. The laptop is a couple of years old. Is everyone like me? Do we all have a small warehouse of computer parts hanging out in basements and offices? 

I dont know about a warehouse but i have several cupboards full of old cables, old cellphones, chargers and other gizmos that I've no idea what they go to but am terrified to get rid of.

Husband has about 4 bankers boxes full of cords, power packs, etc. Not one of them still has the item it is to power. So why keep them? MightComeHandy's? I think NOT. We also have a banker box full of speakers. Again our computers don't need external speakers. Those speakers are in the Take To The DI Pod box.

He also has two bankers boxes FULL of 5" floppies, 3" floppies and OS CD's that are no longer in existence. When his son gets here, sometime in June or July, then all of that is going to the dump.

I spent all of October and November cleaning out the boxes of my STUFF that hadn't seen the light of day for nearly 10 years. If it was obsolete it went to the dump. If it was usable then it went to the DI Pod. Did take the extra phone cords and assorted accsesories to the DI Pod. I ran 100 foot cords along the walls inside, so that I could set up land phones where ever I might want them. It never fails that when the power goes out, our cell phone batteries are near dead, I feel safer with a land phone in each room. The cordless & cell phones that were broke went to the dump. Didn't break my heart at all. Why they had even been packed up and moved - Twice - is beyond me. Broken is broken, toss it.

We have two printers that have been taking up valuable space in the closet. They are broken, & have been replaced so why won't Hubby take them to the dump??? What did get taken to the dump without my knowledge is the box of extension cords. Not a thing wrong with them either. They were 4ft, 6ft, 12ft and 15ft ones in brown, white and green. There were about 4 6ft long 4 outlet strips too. Haven't a clue why those got tossed. Or maybe one of the neighbors who helped load up the U-Haul truck took them as "payment"???

Instead of taking my old sewing machine to the dump I found a guy who paid me $10.00 to take it off my hands. He repairs them, and he needed parts. I was glad to get rid of it! He called me three months later and said that he couldn't get it to work, but he was able to use every part from it on other machines. I was glad to contribute to his new start-up business.  He also found a buyer for the embroidery cams, zipper, and button hole attachments and asked for my mailing address. He sent me a $200.00 check as my part of what he got for them. Yeah me.

The other thing that Hubby has kept for decades [like 4 decades] are greeting cards sent to him. Those he can keep, as they really don't take all that much room/space. I would like to put them in 3 ring binders, rather than in the variety of boxes they are now in. Me, I like getting cards, but if the picture can't be cut up into smaller usable pictures (tree, flower, box, etc.) then the entire thing gets tossed into the paper recycling. Or if the greeting is unique - I like A LOT- then I cut it out, add it to the folder of past greetings to be used in future cards that I make.

But Step Son has quite the job ahead of him when he comes to visit. He knows how much STUFF his Pop has accumulated. He also knows that ALL of it is unusuable and really must go to the dump. I need to find some sturdy, smaller than computer size boxes to put all of our empty recycable glass jars into. Small enough to be lifter by Step Son and then emptied out at the dump. I say dump, because it once was. A Big Hugh Landfill. Newspapers, brown glass, green glass and clear glass bottles, tin cans and aluminum foil was the only thing seperated for recycling. Now it is a transfer station. All the above are recycled as well as only two kinds of plastics. Cardboard such as egg cartons are set off to the side and those in this area that raise chickens pick them up. Anyway. Step Son has a big job on his hands. Convincing Pop that all those cords, cables, floppies, etc. must go.

He has also promised to: *replace the 6 interior door knobs with the paddle/lever style; *replace the old -crappy tract lights in the kitchen with new ones plus remove the double bulb light above the kitchen sink with a two tract light fixture; *to find the stud above the kitchen work area to hang my three tier mesh basket; *paint the walls in his Pop's "Office/Den"; *to move the massive solid oak Man's Desk w/equally massive hutch against the smaller wall; *then help his Pop transfer data from the 3 not working right computers to the two 32GB, and one 64GB thumb drives so that they can be downloaded to the one working correctly computer. Then I want those computers gone out of this house!

Once all that is done, then I will get to work on scanning all of Hubbies fathers letters to his own mother from when he was serving overseas during WWII. AND cleaning up all the framed pictures we rescued from his mothers (my MIL) home. When I take them out of the frames, I will scan them into my computer. Clean the glass, wood frames and then put them back together. Don't know where they will go after that - but they will be cleaned up at least.

My plan is to label the pictures after they are downloaded along with the letters and any other correspondence I find in the many boxes place it all onto thumb drives and send to Hubbies Good Brother, his son and his daughter.

Guest Mores
5 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Sorry, I explained badly! I have an old monitor that takes these devices. I would like to hook up my laptop. The laptop is a couple of years old. Is everyone like me? Do we all have a small warehouse of computer parts hanging out in basements and offices? 

Some laptops will have a VGA connection.  Just check to see if you have a port on the side or back that matches.  Then you need to go into your computer's display settings and have it activate/recognize the new monitor. POOF!  You have a two monitor system.

The other option is to hookup a usb keyboard, turn the laptop power settings to "stay on when lid is closed".  Then you can use the bigger monitor and the laptop as a keyboard pad.

The power cord, as you can tell, is not a standard one we see for, say a kitchen appliance or a lamp, etc.  It is quite common in computer parts. Assuming you already have a power cord for the laptop, this cable would be redundant for the laptop itself.  Monitors & towers will often use this type of cable. So, you could use it for a monitor.

8 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

In that case, you need to determine what the laptop's video-out jack is - probably HDMI - and get an adapter that goes from that to VGA-male - they make them, I have a few.  Take a picture of the laptop's video-out jack and I can find what you need on Amazon and you can either buy online or take the picture to the store.

11 hours ago, zil said:

In that case, you need to determine what the laptop's video-out jack is - probably HDMI - and get an adapter that goes from that to VGA-male - they make them, I have a few.  Take a picture of the laptop's video-out jack and I can find what you need on Amazon and you can either buy online or take the picture to the store.

Dear Zil,

Thank you so much! Is this a video-out jack?

5AC75559-DAFF-46F8-8C67-AC6B597D49CC.jpeg

Guest Mores
9 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Yeah! Thank you Genius Computer Queen! I shall try tomorrow as it is late here! Many thanks! 

Capture.PNG.63a7c4f3d1d15a4a848ada7110c5e3a3.PNG

@zil,

Just how many titles is one person allowed anyway?

Guest Mores
50 minutes ago, zil said:

:D At least three, apparently.  The forum has yet to revoke or add any...

Well, you're in good company.

The Master of Disaster. The King of Sting. The Dancing Destroyer. The Prince of Punch. The Count of Monte FISTo.

You've still got a couple more to catch up.

1 minute ago, Mores said:

So, when are you going to add "Genius Computer Queen" to your title?

Never.  I'm done with being a computer genius, and this isn't a computing forum.  (You'd even have a hard time finding evidence of my old title - Goddess of Paradox - as it seems only to exist on an obscure NNTP server now. (And some fiction thing has stolen my title for their own use, thus interfering with google searches.)  Apparently I've been demoted.)

Guest Mores
1 hour ago, zil said:

Never.  I'm done with being a computer genius, and this isn't a computing forum.  (You'd even have a hard time finding evidence of my old title - Goddess of Paradox - as it seems only to exist on an obscure NNTP server now. (And some fiction thing has stolen my title for their own use, thus interfering with google searches.)  Apparently I've been demoted.)

Well, this isn't a fountain pen forum, nor a sword forum, nor a Bronie forum.  So...

6 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Oh Mores... you're in trouble now... them fighting words...

Now you're gonna have to take one of @zil's fountain pens delivered straight to your door.

Nope. I'm a starving artist now.  My days of supplying fountain pens to the poor, inkless masses are over.

Guest Mores
15 minutes ago, zil said:

Nope. I'm a starving artist now.  My days of supplying fountain pens to the poor, inkless masses are over.

Truly a loss for us all. :P