The Church’s Views on End-of-life Decisions: Cremation, Prolonging Life, Organ Donation

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we’re taught that our bodies are temples and sacred creations of God. This seems like a pretty straightforward doctrine, that is until we get to the end of our journey here on Earth. In times of distress, we often turn to the Church for guidance. Below you’ll find the Church’s policies on organ donation, assisted suicide, cremation, and prolonging life. The Church and Organ Donation The Church has no policy regarding organ donation, but that hasn’t stopped rumors from popping up here and there. Cecil O. Samuelson, an emeritus general authority and former president of BYU who was also a physician, wrote an article for the Church’s website about organ donation. In the absence of an official stance from the Church, Samuelson tried to make sense of the topic of organ donation in light of gospel and medical principles. “The Church has taken no official position on organ transplants. It seems obvious, however, that organ transplantation does not...

View the full article

As my grandpa came to the end of a terminal illness that had spanned a number of rollercoaster months where it seemed like his health was improving one day and plummeting the next, there were a lot of decisions to be made. 

I’m grateful that members of my family were able to utilize prayer and fasting to find their own answers to the problems that kept springing up. The last thing a family needs at a time like that is disagreement or contention, and I think the ability to pray and fast about these decisions can seriously help a family find peace and understanding as a unit.

A living will*, and frank family discussions when you're alive also helps in these cases.

*I'm sure @Just_A_Guy would have mentioned it already, but he's professionally obligated to bill you if he does.

I have an illness so I have spent some time thinking about euthanasia. For me personally, there have been some hopeful health developments. I realize however from taking care of a relative with dementia that euthanasia is likely the only option for many single childless people. My country does not support euthanasia in cases of dementia which makes an even earlier termination with no help from the medical profession more of a requirement.