Mirkwood and NT have a grave confession to make.

Guest MormonGator

We have a shiny brand-spanking new bishop as of last week.  You can still see that new bishop look in his eyes as he is gaining an understanding of the magnitude of his calling.  It was a late night last night, he was meeting with a single sister, I was the other priesthood holder in the building.  After she left and he was able to take his first breath for the entire evening, we had this conversation:

"Bishop, I'm being blackmailed by some people on the internet.  They've discovered something about me they figure is shameful and disgusting.  And they're threatening to make it public, and tell you.  So I need to confess it to you first."

"Ok, what is it?"

"I like pineapple on pizza.  I'm not sure about the churches stand on this.  Is it the abomination these internet people think it is?"

He looked at me solemnly for a moment.  Or perhaps he was looking through me, gaining inspiration and direction. He had a question.

"Do you have ham on the pizza at the same time?"  When I answered in the affirmative, he told me pineapple on pizza was acceptable, but only in the presence of ham or Canadian bacon. 

IN YOUR FACE HATERS!

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

We have a shiny brand-spanking new bishop as of last week.  You can still see that new bishop look in his eyes as he is gaining an understanding of the magnitude of his calling.  It was a late night last night, he was meeting with a single sister, I was the other priesthood holder in the building.  After she left and he was able to take his first breath for the entire evening, we had this conversation:

"Bishop, I'm being blackmailed by some people on the internet.  They've discovered something about me they figure is shameful and disgusting.  And they're threatening to make it public, and tell you.  So I need to confess it to you first."

"Ok, what is it?"

"I like pineapple on pizza.  I'm not sure about the churches stand on this.  Is it the abomination these internet people think it is?"

He looked at me solemnly for a moment.  Or perhaps he was looking through me, gaining inspiration and direction. He had a question.

"Do you have ham on the pizza at the same time?"  When I answered in the affirmative, he told me pineapple on pizza was acceptable, but only in the presence of ham or Canadian bacon. 

IN YOUR FACE HATERS!

I was going to invite you both over for pizza last night, but I can't allow myself to approve of the disturbing and sinful lifestyle you choose to lead. 

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

We have a shiny brand-spanking new bishop as of last week.  You can still see that new bishop look in his eyes as he is gaining an understanding of the magnitude of his calling. 

Ah, yes . . . That magical combination of serenity and abject horror.

Guest Mores
On 3/30/2019 at 11:00 AM, MormonGator said:

@NeuroTypical and @mirkwood like Hawaiian pizza.

And here I thought it was going to be about the ham

18 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

OK.  That's more like it.

BTW, fun fact from a Canadian on Quora:  What's the difference between ham and Canadian bacon?

Short answer, in the US "Canadian Bacon" is made from the loin of pork and ham is made from specific parts of the leg, thigh or rump of the pig.

But there's a long answer that's called for too:

If you order bacon in a restaurant in Canada you get the same thing you do in the USA, streaky bacon made from the pork belly.

So where do Americans get this concept of "Canadian Bacon" from?

Anybody who's traveled to the UK has probably had the experience of being served a "Full English" breakfast with a different sort of bacon made from the whole pork loin and brine cured and not smoked. They sometimes call this Irish bacon even though there's apparently nothing especially uniquely Irish about it. In fact, for a long time (with gaps) most pork sold in the UK came from Denmark.

For a long time in English Canada most of the population were first or 2nd generation immigrants from the British Isles who brought with them their preference for this style of bacon as a breakfast meat. Somewhere along the line they started using only the eye of loin and the cut acquired a crust of ground split peas. Canadians call this bacon "back bacon" or "peameal bacon" in 50 years I've never heard a Canadian refer to this product as "Canadian bacon".

However that is a cold trail, the path to what Americans call "Canadian Bacon" is back in Britain. During the Victorian era Canada started exporting pork to Britain, due to the shipping times before widespread refrigeration it needed to be cured for shipping and smoked meats were preferred for this purpose over only brine curing, initially the primary market was for smoked Wiltshire sides, but at some point (possibly during WWI but maybe earlier) there was a generalized pork shortage in the UK and they started to import any cuts they could get, and this included smoked loins. This was a combination that was unknown in the UK, so they had to give it a name and they started to call it "Canadian Bacon" to distinguish it from unsmoked "Irish Bacon".

Restaurants and stores would put up signs that said "we have Canadian Bacon" which to the Brits meant "unlike last week we now have some kind of bacon". During WWI American soldiers in Britain saw these signs and assumed that Canadian Bacon was being promoted as a a premium product and they experienced and enjoyed the product and brought the idea back to the US with them. The final step was industrial meat packers deciding to pack the product into casings rather than leave it in the natural eye of loin shape. Once the necessity to smoke the pork for shipping was phased out in favour of refrigeration "Canadian Bacon" basically disappeared from the UK.

So that's how we wound up with the US having a product called Canadian bacon that has almost nothing to do with the bacon products Canadian people eat.

Canadians on this board, chime in.

Edited by Mores

Guest Scott

Speaking of Hawaiian Pizza, what ever happened to Canadian Bacon pizzas without the pineapple?   They used to be available all over the place, but now at the grocery trees you can't find them without pineapple.  😢

Edited by Scott

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Or perhaps he was looking through me, gaining inspiration and direction.

I've seen my Bishop do this.  My wife and I have started calling it "receiving a download."

It's oddly reassuring to know we aren't the only ones to have observed this phenomenon in a Bishop.

Edited by unixknight

7 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

We have a shiny brand-spanking new bishop as of last week.  You can still see that new bishop look in his eyes as he is gaining an understanding of the magnitude of his 

"Bishop, I'm being blackmailed by some people on the internet. 

IN YOUR FACE HATERS!

This is great! Now we can include @NeuroTypical's Bishop in the blsckmail campaign. That should increase what we can demand.

I often put ketchup on mac & cheese. I don't see the problem. It's like tomato sauce if you make beefaroni or whatever they call it.

I always thought pineapple on pizza sounded disgusting. Then one day the missionaries were doing some work for me and I got them the pizza of their choice - which included  pineapple. I took a piece and - oh my!  That was good! Ask the missionaries - they can turn you on to some good pizza. :D