Metric ruler in inches. Best. Ruler. Ever.

Vort

8 minutes ago, Vort said:

Matthias Wandel does it again! So brilliant, yet so simple. Why didn't I think of this? Just think how much easier this will make life!

I never understood how fine the line is between genius and insanity, until I started watching his videos.  

Ummm. Can't help thinking that if the world went metric, it would be an awful lot easier for US scientists. Base twelve has much to recommend it, such as the divisibility by 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, but if no one else is on that scale, that poses a problem. On the other hand, we did evolve to have 10 digits, so maybe God is trying to tell us something.

Best wishes, 2RM.

37 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

On the other hand, we did evolve to have 10 digits, so maybe God is trying to tell us something.

Yes; He’s trying to tell us (via good old King Henry) that those digits were made to be measured in inches; and that the distance from one’s nose to one of those digits was a yard.

C’mon, 2RM, these are your kings we’re following here!  😛 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Yes; He’s trying to tell us (via good old King Henry) that those digits were made to be measured in inches; and that the distance from one’s nose to one of those digits was a yard.

C’mon, 2RM, these are your kings we’re following here!  😛 

The distance from my thumb knuckle to its tip is.... one inch.  The distance from the tip of my left middle finger to the tip of my right middle finger when my arms are fully stretched on a line is.... 5 feet.  God did not design me in metric.

11 hours ago, 2ndRateMind said:

Ummm. Can't help thinking that if the world went metric, it would be an awful lot easier for US scientists.

Then we'd just have more imbeciles claiming to be scientists.  Their jobs should be exceptionally hard.

11 hours ago, 2ndRateMind said:

Base twelve has much to recommend it, such as the divisibility by 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, but if no one else is on that scale, that poses a problem.

Base twelve seems to work fine for everybody that uses a clock.  Besides, I deal with measurements from 1/32" to 288" all day and the only time we use feet is when checking what size pallet to ship it on because those are only marked in feet.  For fractional measurements, powers of 2 work well because it's relatively easy to estimate one more than the measure shows with a high degree of confidence.

I met ric at the pub the other day. I was cent to met 'er by her gram mother. Ric wanted milli to met 'er  as well. When I entered the pub, I saw a guy keel o ver because he'd drank too much. It was a very messy pub with lit ter all over the floor. 

Edited by askandanswer

7 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Firkin!

When I was younger than I am now, and at college learning a trade, there used to be a chain of public houses that brewed their own beer and all had 'firkin' in their names. My local was the 'Fox and Firkin', and I had many a pleasant pint of 'Dogbolter' or 'Tanglefoot', there. There are few more innocent things that a student can do, than read up his notes at the end of the day over a warm English real ale amidst congenial company.

Best wishes, 2RM.

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I met ric at the pub the other day. I was cent to met 'er by her gram mother. Ric wanted milli to met 'er  as well. When I entered the pub, I saw a guy keel o ver because he'd drank too much. It was a very messy pub with lit ter all over the floor. 

Bravo!

Best wishes, 2RM

19 hours ago, Vort said:

Matthias Wandel does it again! So brilliant, yet so simple. Why didn't I think of this? Just think how much easier this will make life!

For me - I have found that life is much simpler if I am dedicated to only one master ruler by which I measure.  But that obviously is the point.  What is interesting is that so many hold to an inferior master ruler for the only purpose that it is what they were raised up with and what they are accustomed to.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

On 4/2/2019 at 6:32 AM, NightSG said:

Base twelve seems to work fine for everybody that uses a clock

That's a radical suggestion! Reform the clock, such that we have 10 hours in a day, each of 100 minutes, each of 100 seconds!  How easy would that be to calculate with!

Best wishes, 2RM.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:09 PM, 2ndRateMind said:

Ummm. Can't help thinking that if the world went metric, it would be an awful lot easier for US scientists. Base twelve has much to recommend it, such as the divisibility by 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, but if no one else is on that scale, that poses a problem. On the other hand, we did evolve to have 10 digits, so maybe God is trying to tell us something.

Best wishes, 2RM.

ten fingers is a recessive trait.