What's your first date stories?

B.cole2

• 2 weeks later...

My first date was to a school dance. A group of my friends and I decided we'd all go together, and then they basically picked the guy for me. They may have figured out that I liked him earlier in the year, but I'd gotten over him by that point. We went out to breakfast, I think, for a day activity, then had dinner at one of the other girls' house, went to the dance, and then played games. It's been a lot of years and I don't remember whether it was at the same house as dinner or somebody else's place, and I may have forgotten or misremembered details.

Out of the provided adjectives, I'd say nonchalant fits best.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MormonGator

I had a first date with a girl who said "Why read a book when you can watch the movie?" My immediate thought was "The odds of a second date are non existent". I was correct. 

Guest MormonGator
34 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Blasphemy!!!

Amazingly, the date when downhill from that moment and even though she gave me her number, I, um, "forgot" to call her. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Amazingly, the date when downhill from that moment and even though she gave me her number, I, um, "forgot" to call her. 

What a surprise, Lol. 

Guest Scott

I met my wife at college while at age 18.

She was on the couch.   I walked up to her and asked if I could sit on her lap.    She said yes.   We were married a few months later.   All of this is true.

I don't think you could get away with this in this day and age.    You would probably be reported for harassment, even if you only asked. 

I  didn't date.  But I did go out with guys who wanted to hang out - I specifically tell them, I don't date so I'll only go with you if you understand that. 

One of them I met at a dance club.  We ended up having good conversation so he hung out with my friends.  A few days later he asked me to go to a movie with him.  It was Johnny Mnemonic and I really wanted to see the movie, so I told him I don't date but I really want to see that movie so I'll go but only if you understand it's not a date.  The movie was great (don't judge me, hah hah), and he was good company.  We were both gung ho over Marvel comics so I ended up spending the rest of the night with him and his room mate in their apartment watching Xmen cartoons in their tiny TV until the sun came up. 

He became one of my very good friends and a few months later he asked me to be his girlfriend but since we both agreed we're not thinking of getting married or anything like that, we agreed it's better to just remain friends like we were because there's nothing to gain about being boyfriend/girlfriend.  He's still my very good friend until today - 25 years later.  He doesn't like my husband, he thinks my husband doesn't treat me good enough.  He's almost 50 and still single.  Which is a shame because he's a really good guy.  But the thing about him is - he's so good that he lets women walk all over him.  I wanted to hook him up with my cousin and they went out a few times... I don't know why it didn't work out.  She's also, right now - 25 years later - almost 50 and still single!

Anyway, that's what came to my mind when I read the thread so... story time.

Guest Scott

I met my wife at age 18.   I don't know if all these qualify as dates.  We did more "hanging out" than dating, but we did go to a dance.   Here is our timeline.

2/26/1993:  She was sitting on a couch at college and I  walked up to her and asked her if I could sit on her lap (seriously).   She said yes.   After that, I did this every time I saw here sitting on the couch in school.

3/12/1993:   She asked me to a dance (more accurately, demanded and kidnapped me with a squirt gun).

4/11/1993:   Engaged in my grandma's basement.

8/11/1993:   Married.

Edited by Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what would constitute my first "official" date, but I've been on plenty of first dates with different guys.  I'll share some highlights (all different dates).

The good: he had friend-zoned me and wanted to buy me a concert ticket.  I told him I would pay for it, but he insisted, so I compromised and said he could buy it if we could consider it a date.  (Elder Oaks had recently given his "paired off, planned out, and paid for" talk to the YSA.)  He agreed.  Halfway through the concert, we both had our hands on our own knees, and I slyly reached over and rubbed my pinky along his knee.  He didn't respond, but I tried it again a few songs later, and he took the bait and we held hands for a little while.  I imagine we were adorable as we held hands and raced through the crowd to get to the car after the concert was over.

The bad: He admitted he cried during an episode of Star Trek.  That's second date material, unless you've both established you're Trekkie's. 

The ugly: he told me his residence was essentially him squatting in an old machine shed and that he slept on a mattress that was resting on his boxes of ammo.  Also, he modified his truck to add those dual-top exhausts that emit black smoke when you change gears.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:09 PM, seashmore said:

I don't know what would constitute my first "official" date, but I've been on plenty of first dates with different guys.  I'll share some highlights (all different dates).

The good: he had friend-zoned me and wanted to buy me a concert ticket.  I told him I would pay for it, but he insisted, so I compromised and said he could buy it if we could consider it a date.  (Elder Oaks had recently given his "paired off, planned out, and paid for" talk to the YSA.)  He agreed.  Halfway through the concert, we both had our hands on our own knees, and I slyly reached over and rubbed my pinky along his knee.  He didn't respond, but I tried it again a few songs later, and he took the bait and we held hands for a little while.  I imagine we were adorable as we held hands and raced through the crowd to get to the car after the concert was over.

The bad: He admitted he cried during an episode of Star Trek.  That's second date material, unless you've both established you're Trekkie's. 

The ugly: he told me his residence was essentially him squatting in an old machine shed and that he slept on a mattress that was resting on his boxes of ammo.  Also, he modified his truck to add those dual-top exhausts that emit black smoke when you change gears.

this is amazing.

Also do you know the title of Elder Oaks' talk you're referring to? Would love to read it.

Guest Mores

My first real date was a girl I met at a debate tourney. 

I had just gotten my license a few months earlier. We were only driving for a few minutes after I picked her up before we got to the freeway.  But we were so involved in talking that I kept missing the onramp.  I had to make several U-turns before I finally focused enough to actually get on the freeway.

It was really exciting for both of us.  I don't know how.  But we both really liked each other at first sight.  And we could just talk and talk about everything.

On May 12, 2019 at 11:55 PM, BeccaKirstyn said:

this is amazing.

Also do you know the title of Elder Oaks' talk you're referring to? Would love to read it.

He gave a couple of different versions over CES firesides/broadcasts from about 2005-2014. I think the title was something like "dating vs. hanging out." I tried to find a link, but my iPad is acting up and not opening anything on the Church's website. 

On 5/2/2019 at 7:59 AM, Scott said:

I met my wife at age 18.   I don't know if all these qualify as dates.  We did more "hanging out" than dating, but we did go to a dance.   Here is our timeline.

2/26/1993:  She was sitting on a couch at college and I  walked up to her and asked her if I could sit on her lap (seriously).   She said yes.   After that, I did this every time I saw here sitting on the couch in school.

3/12/1993:   She asked me to a dance (more accurately, demanded and kidnapped me with a squirt gun).

This is terrifying, I'm glad everything worked out for you. 

Should be noted that this is the exception not the rule.

Guest Mores

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:
On 5/2/2019 at 9:59 AM, Scott said:

This is terrifying, I'm glad everything worked out for you. 

Should be noted that this is the exception not the rule.

Strange, I had a fairly similar story.  But I knew who she was for a couple months before I went along a similar timeline.   But 8 months instead of 6.  Meh...

I don't know how much of an exception it is.  I've heard lots of very happy marriages that started like this.

But I get what you're saying.  People should get to know one another.  I thought there a recent post that indicated that if you spent so many hours doing different things with someone for just a few weeks or few months, that you really do get an accurate picture of who they are.  It's just up to the individuals to actually SEE what that picture is.

Just a few weeks or months.  In my experience, I find that to be accurate.

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, JGarcia said:

I was arrested on a first date once when I was 16 due to mistaken identity 😂Luckily, it didn't put her off. 

If a girl is not put off by her first-time date's arrest, that's either very good news about her or very bad news about her.

• 3 weeks later...