Coffee Makers?

mikbone

So with all the rumors flying around I guess I should start looking for a coffee maker.  Anyone got some advice?  I like the concept of a French press , but I’m sure my wife will want a wifi enabled cappuccino maker.   I’ll probably end up getting her the cappuccino machine for her Merry Birthdaversary gift.

This is my breakfast btw...  

91E27815-B86A-447F-BDEB-F68837C23AD3.thumb.jpeg.9b2a66e96d8b84d64a0b8c450542c101.jpeg

I'm trying to lose a few pounds thus the keto diet.  And, since I needed a pick-me-up... energy drink.  My favorite energy drink wasn’t in the cafeteria this AM (Smashed Blue Cotton Candy flavor with 300 mg of caffeine 😃)

Edited by mikbone

Rumors?

Ah: 

https://religionnews.com/2019/03/30/mormons-will-soon-drink-coffee-debunking-a-dubious-general-conference-rumor/

Honestly, even if coffee becomes a thing, I think I'll pass.  I grew up with parents who smoke and drank coffee.  My mom would put her cigarette butts out in her coffee cup, and I had to clean it.  You want to know how bad cold coffee with dead cigarette ashes smells?  Bad enough to put me off both for my mortal duration.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Hopefully this comment doesn't sound like a rant. I would not be drinking it. All I think about when I see coffee is the liquid that is drained out of cans of beans before you cook them. I would rather drink something that actually tastes good on it's own rather than having to add creamers and sugar/flavorings to it. Maybe this is a stereotype, but I don't like "coffee people"...they are always cranky, and have a one track mind until they get their fix in the mornings. They can't function without their good ol cup of joe. I don't even like the smell. I just don't understand how it became such a cultural norm almost everywhere.

Guest Godless

I've heard great things about french presses, but I've personally never had coffee made that way. We have a Keurig, though I mostly drink cold brew. Keurigs are nice because they make cups for everything: coffee, tea, hot chocolate, lattes, cappuccinos, etc. 

47 minutes ago, scottyg said:

I don't like "coffee people"...they are always cranky, and have a one track mind until they get their fix in the mornings.

"coffee people"?  Outside of Utah, that's sort of like "people who breathe oxygen"...

That said,

Image result for coffee vs tea vs cocoa

Edited by NeuroTypical

2 hours ago, mikbone said:

So with all the rumors flying around I guess I should start looking for a coffee maker.  Anyone got some advice?  I like the concept of a French press , but I’m sure my wife will want a wifi enabled cappuccino maker.   I’ll probably end up getting her the cappuccino machine for her Merry Birthdaversary gift.

91E27815-B86A-447F-BDEB-F68837C23AD3.thumb.jpeg.9b2a66e96d8b84d64a0b8c450542c101.jpeg

I'm trying to lose a few pounds thus the keto diet.  And, since I needed a pick-me-up... energy drink.  My favorite energy drink wasn’t in the cafeteria this AM (Smashed Blue Cotton Candy flavor with 300 mg of caffeine 😃)

That looks like a terrible breakfast. 

However, coffee is one of the things I miss the most.  It's been decades since I drank any coffee and I still miss it.

I grew up in a home where coffee was always available.  Someone mentioned smoking, and there was also a lot of smoking in the home as well.  That was just how it was when I was a child.  There were many that smoked, but coffee was also something regularly available. 

I don't even drink caffeinated drinks these days, much less coffee.  I'm not sure what coffee makers would be the thing to go after.  Black and Decker maybe?

Of course, one who was suitably raised outside the church in my generation could make a bunch of coffee without the convenience of a coffee maker or many of the other convenience appliances these days.

If the restriction were relaxed, I imagine I would still keep the word of wisdom. I suppose it would depend on how it was worded and how the prophet phrased it.  If it were stated in such a way that I was allowed to drink coffee, even now, I don't think I'd mind a cup.  However, I don't see the WoW going away.  If anything is done it may be relaxed back to the pre-20th century standards where it was still a word of wisdom, but you were not restricted on temple attendance or otherwise if you were drinking coffee and such.

3 hours ago, mikbone said:

the watermelon one is better. They have a new one too that is good. It's like cream and orange colored. 

Have you tried Bang yet? All the guys around here drunk it instead of traditional energy drinks.

14 minutes ago, LadyGunnar said:

the watermelon one is better. They have a new one too that is good. It's like cream and orange colored. 

Have you tried Bang yet? All the guys around here drunk it instead of traditional energy drinks.

I tried the watermelon. meh.

Bang isn't in the hospital cafeteria (I get free food down there), no way I would pay the outrageous prices for these energy drinks...

There is a speciality section with chilled coffee products in really pretty bottles with price tags of $5-6.  I'm just biding my time till next week...  

/evil laugh

9 hours ago, Godless said:

I've heard great things about french presses, but I've personally never had coffee made that way. We have a Keurig, though I mostly drink cold brew. Keurigs are nice because they make cups for everything: coffee, tea, hot chocolate, lattes, cappuccinos, etc. 

We have one of those at my office, and I do use it for hot chocolate and hot apple cider (just have to do a flush cycle first, otherwise my drink has a distinct coffee-taste).

Guest Mores

Someone noted in a recent thread that "meat" was not specifically addressed in the temple recommend interview.  Now I'm reading in the OP that coffee or possibly the entire WOW will be removed from the interview.

I'm not sure why the temple recommend questions are such a local point.  Commandments are commandments.  We're supposed to obey all of them, even as much as we fail as often as we do.  We need to try.

The most puzzling thing is that the interview questions don't include any specifics.  Just "do you obey the word of wisdom".  I don't recall that question ever being different.  So, why is there this hope to drop coffee from the temple recommend questions? it's not there anyway.

Edited by Mores

On 4/3/2019 at 1:16 PM, Godless said:

I was never a coffee drinker other than the occasional iced coffee, so I don't know much about making it. However, my son swears by his French press and makes Vietnamese coffee daily. According to him, it's the only way to drink it. 

On 4/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, mikbone said:

000880F9-3FBB-45AA-A0A4-56450CE5F090.jpeg.6784b3eae7e26aa500a11b954d52be64.jpeg

I saw this on the 1st page of the site and couldn't tell if it was real or not. I often just listen, with my back to the TV while I do other stuff, so I might have missed it. Were there really vegetables??  I feel stupid for even asking this....

Guest Mores
10 hours ago, dahlia said:

I saw this on the 1st page of the site and couldn't tell if it was real or not. I often just listen, with my back to the TV while I do other stuff, so I might have missed it. Were there really vegetables??  I feel stupid for even asking this....

It's real.  But they weren't "veggies" of the traditional culinary fare.  They were just some creative floral arrangements that happened to resemble veggies.