United Kingdom authorities install knife surrender box to help with violence

Avon and Somerset Police are seeking a group of men who broke into a knife surrender box and took the bin's contents.

The bin — which was bolted to the side of the building like a Sharps Disposal Container in the doctor's office — was filled with a bunch of knives that had recently been surrendered.

What are the details?
According to a report in the U.K.'s Metro, the theft took place March 13, and the suspects were caught on a CCTV camera. Police had been collecting the knives through the surrender box as a move to promote knife control, after a "52 percent spike in knife crime" over the last year.

Just a day after local authorities installed the knife box, a group of men broke into the bin and stole all the knives.

Read more at:  https://www.theblaze.com/news/crooks-raid-uk-knife-surrender-box

1 minute ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I laughed at it too.  I find it ironically amusing.  It is bad though.

Why is it bad? Serious question. Is it really that hard to get a knife in the UK?

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Why is it bad? Serious question. Is it really that hard to get a knife in the UK?

UK law makes it illegal for any seller to sell a knife - any knife, including the knife that goes with your spoon and fork - to anybody under 18.  It its illegal to carry a knife in public (except for the swiss army kind no longer than 3 inches) unless you have a valid reason for carrying it.

Now quick... Carberundum's kids would have come up with 12 valid reasons in under a minute... so let's see if you can come up with at least 1 valid reason in under a minute for any circumstance of you carrying your knife.  My kids are always carrying a pocketknife or 2 or 3 of varying sizes unless they're headed for school.  Here's some reasons I'm sure they could come up with if caught by UK cops:

"Whatcha reason for that there knife, eh?"

1.) To clean my fingernails.

2.) To be earth friendly and carve a stick into a disposable spoon rather than using plastic spoons.

3.) To cut my packed fruit for snack or lunch.

1 hour ago, zil said:

And now, for your viewing pleasure, one of the finest-looking knives1 ever made:

41l93Fx6hML._SX425_.jpg

It's enough to make a girl swoon.

1Not available in the UK.

Or enough to call upon an army of the dead. Im fine with the banning of this “knife”... we don’t need that on the streets.

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

UK law makes it illegal for any seller to sell a knife - any knife, including the knife that goes with your spoon and fork - to anybody under 18.  It its illegal to carry a knife in public (except for the swiss army kind no longer than 3 inches) unless you have a valid reason for carrying it.

Now quick... Carberundum's kids would have come up with 12 valid reasons in under a minute... so let's see if you can come up with at least 1 valid reason in under a minute for any circumstance of you carrying your knife.  My kids are always carrying a pocketknife or 2 or 3 of varying sizes unless they're headed for school.  Here's some reasons I'm sure they could come up with if caught by UK cops:

2.) To be earth friendly and carve a stick into a disposable spoon rather than using plastic spoons.

Those uses—even for little knives— become much more apparent when you aren’t able carry one anymore.  :( (I *could* carry one part-time, I guess, but court bailiffs tend to get tetchy about that sort of thing . . .)

15 hours ago, anatess2 said:

You don't need 12 reasons.  If a cop in the UK stops you for a knife just say that you identify as a member of the opposite sex and that it's there to protect you against white male Christians.  

Guest MormonGator

What is happening in the UK is so disturbing. Reason number 433 I thank God we divorced that country long ago.

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

What is happening in the UK is so disturbing. Reason number 433 I thank God we divorced that country so long ago.

You know, I remember a time when one of the pro-Second Amendment arguments was "Once they've taken all the guns, they'll come for knives next." and the other side laughed and laughed and said that was just a conspiracy theory, take off the tinfoil hats, etc...

And then you see this stuff.  But I ain't laughing.

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, unixknight said:

You know, I remember a time when one of the pro-Second Amendment arguments was "Once they've taken all the guns, they'll come for knives next." and the other side laughed and laughed and said that was just a conspiracy theory, take off the tinfoil hats, etc...

And then you see this stuff.  But I ain't laughing.

I agree 100%. And no, I'm not laughing either.