Reasons to use the 24-hour clock (aka Military Time)

zil

31 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Dinner, not supper. ;) 

It's a class thing, in the UK. The rich (or those with such pretensions) call dinner, lunch. and supper, dinner. I have to admit, however, and with no little embarrassment, that I have been brought up to refer to lunch and dinner, despite the fact that I do not intend to become rich, and if I ever did in some accidental way, would use the good fortune to do what I could lift the abject poor sustainably out of poverty with my windfall. But such are the pettinesses of the class struggle, and how we seek to distinguish 'people like us', from 'those like them'. Presumably the division is meant to separate people who deserve class advantage, from those that don't, and thus justify a lack of charity.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Edited by 2ndRateMind

17 hours ago, zil said:

You can describe your dinner as: "The Great Salad of 1810".

I really appreciate the title suggesting there are multiple reasons for using military time, but only offering 1 reason... yet that 1 reason is better than any comprehensive list one could possibly come up with ;)

2 minutes ago, Fether said:

I really appreciate the title suggesting there are multiple reasons for using military time, but only offering 1 reason...

I was thinking others could help build the list.  Some are obvious (there are actually 24 hours in a day, not 12; time math is easier; you don't have to ask whether "at eight" is AM or PM; etc.).  But some are fun - like The Great Salad of 1810.

Dinners is typically the largest meal of the day (so, whenever you have the largest meal, that would be dinner).  If that tends to be around noon, than that would be Dinner.  If your largest meal is late in the day such as around 5 (1700 for this thread) then it would be Dinner.

Lunch is normally a lighter meal, the same with supper. 

Morning or afternoon Tea is almost never called Dinner, and Dinner or supper in the evening is invariably after Tea Time if you have a meal after Tea at all.