Anyone else find this funny

Alemmedial

Guest Mores
On 4/13/2019 at 7:12 AM, Sunday21 said:

And none of you can spell it! Humour. Honestly! 

I knew Brits spelled it that way.  I didn't realize you Canucks went over to the dark side.

Guest Mores
Just now, MarginOfError said:

Unless you live in a country that uses the metric system, I don't think you can claim not to be on the dark side.

Oh!  I see what you did there.

Truthfully, being a numbers guy, I have no problem with either system.  True, a base 10 system may seem easier.  And maybe it is.  But I just don't have a problem with either one.  After working with something lon enough, it is simply a matter of feel more than anything.

People who drive 60 mph, do so because it "feels" like 60 mph. 

Just now, Mores said:

Oh!  I see what you did there.

Truthfully, being a numbers guy, I have no problem with either system.  True, a base 10 system may seem easier.  And maybe it is.  But I just don't have a problem with either one.  After working with something lon enough, it is simply a matter of feel more than anything.

You're probably right.  I'm just opposed to imperial units because I'm not a numbers guy. :D

8 minutes ago, Mores said:

Yep.  And I prefer 100 watt lightbulbs to 60 watt.  Even though those numbers were only useful back in incandescent days, and flourescent and LEDs use a fraction of the watts.  I'm glad they still put "100 watt equivalent" on their boxes.  

(Although I must admit, the # of lumens and the spectrum of light are probably the most important.  But if something's a buck instead of ten bucks, I'm going with the 100 watt equivalent.)

Guest Mores
31 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

You're probably right.  I'm just opposed to imperial units because I'm not a numbers guy. :D

You... are not... a numbers guy...??? Uh-huh... I recall our first interchange on this forum telling something different.

Edited by Mores

Guest Mores
8 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yep.  And I prefer 100 watt lightbulbs to 60 watt.  Even though those numbers were only useful back in incandescent days, and flourescent and LEDs use a fraction of the watts.  I'm glad they still put "100 watt equivalent" on their boxes.  

(Although I must admit, the # of lumens and the spectrum of light are probably the most important.  But if something's a buck instead of ten bucks, I'm going with the 100 watt equivalent.)

Here's a twist.  I quickly found out that the "100 watt equivalent" label was quite deceptive.  I soon migrated over to the lumens.  I find that to be much more accurate.

1 hour ago, Mores said:

Work in physics or mechanical engineering for a while, and you will quickly decide that millimeters are far superior to mils. Handy reference: A liter of water (or blood, or serum, or body tissue) has a mass of one kilogram. Also, a gallon of water weighs eight pounds. Which is easier and more useful for top-of-the-head calculations?

I'm not really a metric evangelist. I just know an easier, more logical system when I see it.

1 hour ago, MarginOfError said:

1 hour ago, MarginOfError said:

Does it count if I'm terrible at arithmetic?

...says the statistician. Does this give anyone else the shivers?

2 hours ago, MarginOfError said:

MOE LOVES pie charts.  :P  

3 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

I was almost ready to like you.

You mean you didn't like me when we met for dinner so many years ago?  :)   The things I remember about you.

Guest Mores
2 hours ago, Vort said:

Work in physics or mechanical engineering for a while, and you will quickly decide that millimeters are far superior to mils. Handy reference: A liter of water (or blood, or serum, or body tissue) has a mass of one kilogram. Also, a gallon of water weighs eight pounds. Which is easier and more useful for top-of-the-head calculations?

I'm not really a metric evangelist. I just know an easier, more logical system when I see it.

Logical?  Arguable. 

A binary system (which is what the volumetric units in avoir dupois actually are) is superior and more useful in many situations. 

Consider our denominations of currency.  It is a bastardization of the base 10 and binary.  Compare that to the monetary system found among the Nephites in the BoM.

2 hours ago, Vort said:

...says the statistician. Does this give anyone else the shivers?

Color me touched by the banshee.

13 hours ago, mordorbund said:

So THAT's why I got audited by the IRS in the '40s!

You must be bad in arithmetic.  Even I wasn't around in the 40's.  :)