Is it just me?

dahlia

I understand having a respectful silence while new temples are announced. I do. But I admit to enjoying the little outbursts of joy when a temple was announced in somebody's hometown or where they'd done their mission. I love that people are so excited to get a temple. btw - even President Hinckley smiled when he announced the temple in Ghana.  temple announcement  fast forward to 20.20. 

It's not about respectful silence.  It's about reverence.  So, the Prophet doesn't think that outbursts of joy maintains reverence.  It's the same reason why we don't clap after the Tabernacle Choir offers another great rendition of whatever song they sang.  Or we don't say, "Praise Jesus!" or "That's right, Hallelujah!" when a speaker mic drops.

Guest Mores
16 hours ago, dahlia said:

I understand having a respectful silence while new temples are announced. I do. But I admit to enjoying the little outbursts of joy when a temple was announced in somebody's hometown or where they'd done their mission. I love that people are so excited to get a temple. btw - even President Hinckley smiled when he announced the temple in Ghana.  temple announcement  fast forward to 20.20. 

There is laughter which we may enjoy when the speaker shares a funny story. And there is "loud laughter" associated with riotous celebration.

There is showing a reverent sigh and expression of joy.  And there is riotous cheering that we usually associate with sporting events.  The level that the recent conferences got to were going over the line.

He just did not want the mood disrupted by the shouting that often occurs. Think about how loud you need to be to be heard in these broadcasts from the audience. Even people that star shouting during a talk and are carried out by security barely can be heard. I was personally relieved that the Prophet finally said something to discourage us acting like a bunch of baboons. 

This is what I think of every time a temple announcement causes an outburst. (Skip to 0:40)

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein