Altering Garments

Dollfacekilla

I have been wearing garments for about 6 weeks now and I feel so privileged to do so. It's been an adjustment for sure but over all I enjoy it. My problem is, with a lot of the shirts, the top opening is too large and slides off my shoulders. Because I am on the larger breasted side, I need the larger top but my stature is on the smaller size. Is it ok to tighten the neck line to make the garment more comfortable and fit better? I know we are not supposed to alter garments to be worn with less modest clothing but what about the opposite? Is that an acceptable alteration?

Edited by Dollfacekilla

1 hour ago, Dollfacekilla said:

I have been wearing garments for about 6 weeks now and I feel so privileged to do so. It's been an adjustment for sure but over all I enjoy it. My problem is, with a lot of the shirts, the top opening is too large and slides off my shoulders. Because I am on the larger breasted side, I need the larger top but my stature is on the smaller size. Is it ok to tighten the neck line to make the garment more comfortable and fit better? I know we are not supposed to alter garments to be worn with less modest clothing but what about the opposite? Is that an acceptable alteration?

I'm not a woman. I imagine some sisters may share their thoughts shortly.
One item to consider is your ability to order a variety of different tops, for the purposes of trying them out, and then simply return the ones that don't conform to your body type. If you live near a distribution center you can do this in person - try before you buy.  Good Luck.

New Options in Women’s Garments Offer Better Fit

Another change makes the garment purchasing experience easier for all garment wearers.

At a Distribution Services or Deseret Book store, endowed members may ask to try on a garment if needed... Additionally, garments may be returned, even if the package has been opened. When possible, garments should be returned within 90 days of purchase.

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest LiterateParakeet

I don't know the answer to your question for certain. But did you know you can talk to the temple matron and ask her any questions?  The temple matron being one of the wives of the temple presidency. If you live close enough to a temple you can make an appointment, and if not, I'm sure you could ask that question over the phone. 

Also, in the future...the new stretch cotton  comes in different sizes for different busy sizes...I mean you can order the size you need with full bust, normal bust, that sort of thing. 

I hope that helps, even if it didn't directly answer your question.

25 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

But did you know you can talk to the temple matron and ask her any questions?

"What's the best price on a flight to Paris in early June?"

You can ask her any question, but she won't necessarily be able to answer it. :) Garment-related questions might be up her alley.

25 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

The temple matron being one of the wives of the temple presidency.

Pretty sure the temple matron is the (one) wife of the temple president, and not either of the wives of the two counselors.

Sorry, OP, I have nothing to offer. My daughter-in-law received her endowment yesterday. My wife took her underwear shopping a few days ago, and came home raving about all the new garment styles for women. So my guess is there's something out there for you that will be reasonably comfortable. I second LP's suggestion to talk to the temple matron. If you live near a garment distribution center (which I think these days is always a Deseret Book—someone please correct me if I'm wrong), a better option might be to go in and ask one of the sisters there about finding a garment style that fits you well.

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I don't know the answer to your question for certain. But did you know you can talk to the temple matron and ask her any questions?  The temple matron being one of the wives of the temple presidency. If you live close enough to a temple you can make an appointment, and if not, I'm sure you could ask that question over the phone. 

Also, in the future...the new stretch cotton  comes in different sizes for different busy sizes...I mean you can order the size you need with full bust, normal bust, that sort of thing. 

I hope that helps, even if it didn't directly answer your question.

Agreed. Next time you go to the temple call ahead if you can and see if the matron would have a few minutes to speak with you. My thoughts are that it would be appropriate...but I would still seek a second opinion.

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, Vort said:

"What's the best price on a flight to Paris in early June?"

You can ask her any question, but she won't necessarily be able to answer it. :) Garment-related questions might be up her alley.

Pretty sure the temple matron is the (one) wife of the temple president, and not either of the wives of the two.

Lol...no trip advice. 

Vort and @scottyg

Perhaps I should have clarified...when my daughter went to the temple to receive her endorsements she had some questions and concerns. She wanted to talk to a woman, so we asked and were told we could certainly meet with the temple matron.  

When we sat down and met with her, she explained to us that the wives of the presidency members are all matrons and help out on different days.

She was very patient and loving about my daughter's questions and concerns. As I recall, at least one of her answers was, "We don't know for sure..."  But she did have helpful answers to other questions and my daughter left feeling better. She cherishes her time in the temple now.  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

8 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Just so's it's clear: The temple matron(s) have no authority in the matter of garment alteration. So unless they can point you to a specific authorized policy, you're just getting opinion -- which may well be very wrong.

True. But I would suppose that a temple matron's opinion is likely to be more informed that Random Sister Jones' opinion.

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

True. But I would suppose that a temple matron's opinion is likely to be more informed that Random Sister Jones' opinion.

Only if random sister Jones also cannot point to an authoritative policy.

Edit: Not that I disagree with what you're saying here. But...well...I just don't want someone to go ask the matron and have the matron say, "I don't see anything wrong with that," and the person walks away with their new found "gospel doctrine" in tow which goes (unless something has changed) directly against the directive to not alter them in any way.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

You can call the distribution center and special order garments, you supply them with a number of measurements (they will email you what measurements they need) and they will special make them for you. I have to do this on the bottoms.

It does take about 8 weeks to get them after ordering. 

You'll need an account to get to this page:

https://store.lds.org/SpecialOrderGarmentsView?catalogId=3074457345616676768&langId=-1&storeId=10151

Edited by mnn2501

On 4/12/2019 at 1:26 PM, NeedleinA said:

I'm not a woman. I imagine some sisters may share their thoughts shortly.
One item to consider is your ability to order a variety of different tops, for the purposes of trying them out, and then simply return the ones that don't conform to your body type. If you live near a distribution center you can do this in person - try before you buy.  Good Luck.

New Options in Women’s Garments Offer Better Fit

I have several different types, and all of them that fit my bust, do not fit my neck and shoulders. Thanks though.

On 4/12/2019 at 5:30 PM, mnn2501 said:

You can call the distribution center and special order garments, you supply them with a number of measurements (they will email you what measurements they need) and they will special make them for you. I have to do this on the bottoms.

It does take about 8 weeks to get them after ordering. 

You'll need an account to get to this page:

https://store.lds.org/SpecialOrderGarmentsView?catalogId=3074457345616676768&langId=-1&storeId=10151

Thanks for this, but what is the difference in ordering special garments and fixing the ones I already have?

3 hours ago, Dollfacekilla said:

Thanks for this, but what is the difference in ordering special garments and fixing the ones I already have?

At the very least, the Church is authorized to make adjustments to the garment. I can't find a single reference that encourages members to garment DIY. To the contrary, it seems clear they don't want you messing with the garment:

HB2 - 21.1.42  
1. Members may make their own temple aprons only if they use the approved apron embroidery and sewing kit. This kit is available from Church Distribution Services. Other temple ceremonial clothing and temple garments may not be made.
2. Members should not alter the garment from its authorized design...

The Church offers you an authorized service that solves your concern, I would personally go that route and simply remove doubt from the equation.

Edited by NeedleinA

17 hours ago, Dollfacekilla said:

It will be made correctly from the start and you don't need to alter it.

In the grand scheme of things, there is probably little difference except that you'll be cutting into what is a sacred garment - that would bother me, it may or may not bother you.

Besides, new garments are inexpensive.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:22 PM, Dollfacekilla said:

It is called Authority. 

Same concept as what's the difference between my husband performing sacrament at my house without having to ask the bishop rather than having to go to the ward building or have the bishop send the Priests over to my house when I am sick?  Now, if the bishop authorizes your husband to perform sacrament at your home, then he can do so.  Same concept with your garments - you'll need to get proper authorization to alter the ones you have.  But since they can make one especially for your specific measurements, I don't think they'll authorize you to alter existing ones.

Edited by anatess2

18 hours ago, mnn2501 said:

In the grand scheme of things, there is probably little difference except that you'll be cutting into what is a sacred garment - that would bother me, it may or may not bother you.

There's a big difference.  This is why we can't just make our own garments or buy them from anywhere that is not authorized to sell them.

30 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Same concept as what's the difference between my husband performing sacrament at my house without having to ask the bishop rather than having to go to the ward building or have the bishop send the Priests over to my house when I am sick?  Now, if the bishop authorizes unixknight to perform sacrament at your home, then he can do so.  Same concept with your garments - you'll need to get proper authorization to alter the ones you have.  But since they can make one especially for your specific measurements, I don't think they'll authorize you to alter existing ones.

Fixed  😊

5 hours ago, anatess2 said:

There's a big difference.  This is why we can't just make our own garments or buy them from anywhere that is not authorized to sell them.

Actually, if I remember right, a couple decades back BeeHive clothing sold the pattern for garments for those wanting to make their own.

11 minutes ago, mnn2501 said:

Actually, if I remember right, a couple decades back BeeHive clothing sold the pattern for garments for those wanting to make their own.

I think it was not that many years ago when the Church officially nixed making your own garment. Up until relatively recently, you could sew your own. (You still can make your own temple robes and other clothing, I believe.) Given how inexpensive it is to buy the garment, I think the uniformity is probably a better option that providing authorized patterns or whatever.

33 minutes ago, mnn2501 said:

A couple decades ago... the pattern was Authorized.  That has changed.  It goes back to Authority.