BYU Honor Code. Students all afire...again!!

carlimac

https://www.ksl.com/article/46530636/byu-students-plan-sit-in-to-protest-honor-code-after-viral-instagram-account-petition-seek-reform

I roll my eyes at the demands of these youngsters. I hope the Honor Code stands firm. Perhaps the tattlers need some talking to. But these protesters seem ignorant of the fact that if BYU were to implement a "No Kissing on Campus" rule, they would have every right because they are a private university and can make their own rules. The ones that don't like it should go elsewhere and let the ones who will happily comply take their place. 

And why was there a need for a moment of silence to honor LGBTs???

Edited by carlimac

Guest MormonGator

I don't really understand it either. After all, you came to BYU knowing that you had to follow these rules. So...what's the problem? 

Edited by MormonGator

I have 4 boys wanting to attend BYU who are more than willing and happy to adhere to the existing Honor Code. Please pluck 4 ungrateful 'actual*' BYU student protestors from the crowd and send them packing, my boys will take their spot instead.

Private University, their rules.

*how many of the supposed 'protestors' are actually BYU students anyways, seriously.

I’ve had my beefs with HCO’s methods ever since I was a student there, and I understand some of the most obnoxious players are still employed by BYU twenty years later.  I’m not inclined to defend their actions.  

But what gets me is, these student maggots are getting a $40K education for $5K, with the Church making up the difference; and they have the gall to say the honor code shouldn’t apply at all?

I almost want to call their bluff:  “Fine, you can go to BYU and not have the honor code apply to you, IF you are willing to pay market rate for your tuition.  Otherwise, Honor Code still applies.”  Let’s see how many of these entitled, narcissistic, oversexed brats take that deal.  

There's another side of me that thinks it would be hilarious to get a group of people together to shout-sing "Praise to the Man" at the top of their lungs during said moment of silence.

And...double devil:

😈:devil:

It seems to all have stemmed from the Instagram account @honorcodestories where students and some alumni are telling their horror stories about being snitched on and the Honor Code office calling them in. My response would be , "If you were following the code then there would be no need for anyone to snitch on you. If you are falsely accused then a call from the Honor Code office shouldn't be a threat." If they aren't guilty, there is nothing to worry about. If they have broken the honor code, then maybe they need to re-think their choices and actions. 

The problem I'm seeing is that they are taking offense to someone else reporting them and they don't like getting caught. They think students should be "self reporting". Like that's going to happen? 🤣

I think the environment that encourages  snitching is a little obnoxious and promotes this whole "judgemental" thing we Latter Day Saints have a probelm with. But what would you do if your roommate was in your room alone with her boyfriend or girlfriend for an extended period of time? What would you do? Keep quiet? Talk to the bishop? Report her/him to the HCO? Or maybe talk to your roommate and tell them how uncomfortable you are with it. If it persists after that, I'd report it. 

Edited by carlimac

Anyone who takes even 10% of those "Honor Code stories" at face value should have their voting privileges removed until they go through puberty. Almost all of the "stories" are just that—unbelievable (literally), falling somewhere between eye-rolling and outrageous.

I would love to see a counter-sit-in of people there to defend BYU and the Honor Code.

13 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

There's another side of me that thinks it would be hilarious to get a group of people together to shout-sing "Praise to the Man" at the top of their lungs during said moment of silence.

And...double devil:

😈:devil:

Yeah, not sure what the moment of silence for LGBTs has to do with the Honor Code Office. 

Just now, carlimac said:

Yeah, not sure what the moment of silence for LGBTs has to do with the Honor Code Office. 

Ironically, I'm no great fan of the Honor Code's current implementation. But I'll take it 1000 times in 1000 over those who complain about it and want it done away with.

Just now, Vort said:

Anyone who takes even 10% of those "Honor Code stories" at face value should have their voting privileges removed until they go through puberty. Almost all of the "stories" are just that—unbelievable (literally), falling somewhere between eye-rolling and outrageous.

I would love to see a counter-sit-in of people there to defend BYU and the Honor Code.

In reading some of the comments on the KSL story ( I broke my resolution to quit reading comments) there are some bleeding hearts saying it's because they love BYU so much that they want the Honor Code office to either go away or start acting more Christlike when they call students in.   Hmm.😵

6 minutes ago, carlimac said:

In reading some of the comments on the KSL story ( I broke my resolution to quit reading comments) there are some bleeding hearts saying it's because they love BYU so much that they want the Honor Code office to either go away or start acting more Christlike when they call students in.   Hmm.😵

That is the kind of love any decent person or institution can happily do without.

From what I understand, the HCO only approaches people when they get reported by someone else. In almost every complaint story I hear, I think to myself “ya... if I witnessed that then I would report it too” sure maybe sometimes there was nothing wrong happening, but there would be no way for the reporter to know what was really happening. 

Additionally... there seems to be a liberal lean starting to occur in some topics in this school (which I assumed would be conservative). 

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Fether said:

Additionally... there seems to be a liberal lean starting to occur in some topics in this school (which I assumed would be conservative). 

How is BYU getting liberal? Not a challenge, genuine question. 

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

How is BYU getting liberal? Not a challenge, genuine question. 

Just by reading the stories about how “Terrible” The HCO is, it appears that many people want it to be more lenient to their standards, which are standards the world holds. Essentially to step back from the standards of the church and adopt more lenient standards. That, and there are  some of the questionable pro LGBT and Black Lives Matters movements on campus. Though they don’t represent the school ad a whole, I’m surprised to see it at BYU.

Edited by Fether

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Fether said:

Just by reading the stories about how “Terrible” The HCO is, it appears that many people want it to be more lenient to their standards, which are standards the world holds. Essentially to step back from the standards of the church and adopt more lenient standards. That, and there are  some of the questionable pro LGBT and Black Lives Matters movements on campus. Though they don’t represent the school ad a whole, I’m surprised to see it at BYU.

Fascinating. I don't know anyone who has gone to BYU and I don't have kids, so I don't really follow what goes on there. 

Thanks for the update. 

Edited by MormonGator

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Fascinating. I don't know anyone who has gone to BYU and I don't have kids, so I don't really follow what goes on there. 

Thanks for the update. 

All I know is what I read and watch. I dont go or have any family members that attend either.

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Yawn.

if you don’t want to live by the honor code then don’t go to BYU.

But the cheap tuition, Emmanuel!  

These twerps haven’t spent the last six months tithing 10% of their excess*, just to pay market rate for their university education as if they were common gentiles**.

*Which, of course, is $0; because laptops and smart phones and contributions to John Dehlin’s GoFundMe tend to add up.

**Not that there’s anything wrong with being a gentile, of course!  It’s not that Mormons are better than gentiles; it’s just that these kids are better than Mormons.  I’m sure you understand, and if you don’t, that just proves they’re right.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy