Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris Burned Down

Emmanuel Goldstein

It’s interesting how the way some folks talk of Notre Dame as though it were a temple to the human spirit—an expression of human genius and achievement and capacity for beauty—rather than a structure devoted to the worship and glorification of some higher being, as its creators intended.   I believe that such discourse might be termed “appropriation”.  Or better yet, “ideological colonialism”.

I realize it’s very early, but Isaiah 9:9-10 seems apropos.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 4/17/2019 at 9:16 AM, NeuroTypical said:

The bell will ring again.  Also, not everything was lost:

And no doubt the millions of high resolution photos of virtually every object on public display in the cathedral, including every inch of the architecture and ornamentation, pretty much guarantee that everything lost can be accurately reproduced for future generations to at least not have to guess at what it was like.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:11 PM, MormonGator said:

It's symbolic of something much deeper. Christianity is in total collapse in Europe and no one in Europe seems to care. One of my dearest friends works for a French oil and gas company in the states. She said that no one in office is terribly upset by this. No one seems to care except the Americans. 

I'm not even Catholic anymore (obviously), but when I was goofing off for a minute at work and looking at the news, I was shocked to see this. I didn't want my office mate to see the tears in my eyes. If you want to see someone who gets the collapse of Christian Europe (and how some of the Eastern European countries may end up saving them), check out Dr. Steve Turley on YT. I enjoy his videos. He frequently has good news, so it's worth it to watch him just to keep the depression at bay. 

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, dahlia said:

I'm not even Catholic anymore (obviously), but when I was goofing off for a minute at work and looking at the news, I was shocked to see this. I didn't want my office mate to see the tears in my eyes. If you want to see someone who gets the collapse of Christian Europe (and how some of the Eastern European countries may end up saving them), check out Dr. Steve Turley on YT. I enjoy his videos. He frequently has good news, so it's worth it to watch him just to keep the depression at bay. 

Agree. I get no joy seeing the rise of atheism/agnosticism/non-theist thought across the world. 

• pam unfeatured this topic