Van Halen Poll

mirkwood

Panama vs. Right Now  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better Van Halen song?

• Panama
    • Right Now

Guest MormonGator

That album is actually a great album. Poundcake, Right Now Top of the World, 316, Judgement Day. All of those are great songs. Any single one of them is better than ANYTHING from the Roth era. 

Unfair comparison, one of the best songs on F*** versus a Top 40 filler from 1984.

It doesn't matter. They're both forgettable party songs with good hooks and not much else. Panama doesn't pretend to be anything else but a raucous and mildly vulgar toss-off, and that lack of pretense buys it my vote.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

That album is actually a great album. Poundcake, Right Now Top of the World, 316, Judgement Day. All of those are great songs. Any single one of them is better than ANYTHING from the Roth era. 

Dude put down the crack pipe.

Guest MormonGator
23 hours ago, Vort said:

Unfair comparison, one of the best songs on F*** versus a Top 40 filler from 1984.

It doesn't matter. They're both forgettable party songs with good hooks and not much else. Panama doesn't pretend to be anything else but a raucous and mildly vulgar toss-off, and that lack of pretense buys it my vote.

Hey, "Right Now" is not a party song! 

"The more things you get, the more you want
Just trade in one for another
Workin' so hard to make it easy
Whoa, got to turn, come on, turn this thing around"

They fired David Lee Roth and hired Sammy Hagar because they wanted a philosopher. DUH! 

Guest Scott

Hmmmm.  Define "better".    

Right Now isn't even close to my favorite song, but is still OK. 

The song Panama sounds better in my opinion, but has some pretty suggestive lyrics, even if most of the song is supposed to be about a car.  

I'd rather secretly listen to Panama, but listening to the song makes me want to confess to the bishop afterwards.

Edited by Scott

Guest Scott
3 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Which song would you prefer to listen to?

Looks like Panama.

Yes Panama, but I won't always admit it. ;)

Edited by Scott

Last year I volunteered to help watch (guard) my son’s father-in-law’s guitar collection that was on display in the St. George Parade of Homes. He has an extensive guitar collection and Van Halen’s signature is on one of them. Kind of cool. The guitar I really kept my eye on was a Fender Strat, Serial Number 0003. If you know anything about guitars you can make an educated guess on it’s worth.

The better question might be: Does Van Halen deserve the respect it has as the king of LA Metal from the 80s? Do they hold that title because they were the first signed, or do they legitimately transcend all others in that glam metal genre?

I think the answer has to be yes. Right? Certainly in sales. Certainly in the guitar work of Eddie. (Especially where Randy Rhodes left Quiet Riot and joined Ozzy -- thereby leaving the "LA" glam metal scene for a more overarching domain?

Sadly, that's not a commentary on the quality of Van Halen (though there is, certainly, some quality there), but rather a fairly sad commentary on LA glam metal. The next closest contender is Motley Crue, followed by...who...? Poison? W.A.S.P.? Ratt?

What I find interesting in my own life is how much sentiment now comes into play as to my taste in some 80s stuff. I never liked glam metal, really (sure...a song here or there was fun...but...) But now there's something about it from the 80s that actually appeals. Not enough that I'd actually listen to it. But watching documentaries and stuff...well... I find it strangely compelling as a musical movement.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, mirkwood said:

Van Halen is rock, not metal.

That's the only thing about Van Halen that you and I agree on. 

I find it highly amusing that we agree on 99% of politics, religion, and music but we are so far apart on Van Halen vs Van Hagar. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest Scott
29 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Van Halen is rock, not metal.

Maybe, but they certainly had metal.  Eruption, for example would almost certainly be classified as metal, would it not?  

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Scott said:

Maybe, but they certainly had metal.  Eruption, for example would almost certainly be classified as metal, would it not?  

It's notoriously subjective of course, but can you imagine metal bands like Megadeth or Metallica pre-Black album having a song like "Jump" or "Right Now" on one of their albums? I can't, and for that reason I think Van Halen isn't really "metal". They have moments of harder rock, but overall it's not metal. 

28 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It's notoriously subjective of course, but can you imagine metal bands like Megadeth or Metallica pre-Black album having a song like "Jump" or "Right Now" on one of their albums? I can't, and for that reason I think Van Halen isn't really "metal". They have moments of harder rock, but overall it's not metal. 

But it was "Metal" at the time (subjectively speaking, of course).

What happened is the "hair" metal (or glam metal) movement pushed itself further and further into silliness and was basically ruined by becoming mainstream and MTV based. Accordingly, it died -- killed off by the more authentic early grunge scene. But because thrash metal had always been more authentic, it survived (though struggled for a while). Because it survived, it became the root of what "Metal" has become, branching off into all the modern forms. The glam metal side of things is, indeed, much, much softer. And hard rock has become harder over the years too. Some modern hard rock is significantly harder than early 80s glam metal.

But I think (and I can only say from my perspective) that in the early 80s, most everyone would have called Van Halen a "heavy metal" group. Of course most people also thought AC/DC, Aerosmith, and Bon Jovi were "Heavy Metal" too. Which is sort of laughable in the modern idea of metal music.

Edited by The Folk Prophet