LDS Artist Uses Dance to Find and Make Spiritual Connections

Marin Leggat Roper didn’t always want to be a dancer. In fact, for a long time she only thought of it as a hobby. That all changed in a dance class Roper took as an undergraduate at BYU. Her mentor, Caroline Prohosky, told her the world needed more creators and fewer analyzers. “For the first time I recognized how the process of dance and dance making was godly, in that it is about the creative process,” said Roper. After this realization, Roper says she ran straight to the advisement office to change her major to dance. “I just had a really powerful impression that [dance] was the life’s work I wanted to pursue,” said Roper. Marin Leggat Roper in India. Dance has allowed Roper to interact with and learn more about people of various cultures. (Courtesy of Marin Leggat Roper) Since then, dance has taken Marin across the world. She’s choreographed numbers with other dancers in India and learned different techniques from artists in New York. The collaborative nature of...

View the full article