Quote search

pwrfrk

A little while back there was a discussion about God, intelligence and I forget what else.  There was a couple of quotes used, and I not only can I not find the thread but I cannot find or remember much about the quotes.

One was something about the greater the distance, education/technology-wise, between two groups would make the more advanced group appear God-like...or something like that. 

The other was comparing more advanced technology to magic.

Does anyone remember these?

Guest Mores
1 hour ago, mordorbund said:

@pwrfrk,

I took a look at some of the search results from Mordor's post.  There were some interesting variants that just don't work.

Arthur C. Clarke's original was:

any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Magic.  Not God.

However, when we're talking about someone with a sufficiently LOW level of technological understanding and a sufficiently LOW level of understanding God, then anything can be mistaken for anything else that one does not understand.

Edited by Mores

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:14 PM, Mores said:

However, when we're talking about someone with a sufficiently LOW level of technological understanding and a sufficiently LOW level of understanding God, then anything can be mistaken for anything else that one does not understand.

Which is why we have cargo cults.