The "Mandela Effect"

Jamie123

And not to be nitpicky, but "Scotty, beam me up" isn't the same as "Beam me up, Scotty."

Kirk never says "Beam me up, Scotty."  Not one single time.  

People cite it as an example of the Mandela Effect but I don't think it is, because nobody actually remembers him saying it.  (Or at most, they think they remember him saying it because they've heard every Trekkie in their circle say it.)  It's just that "beam me up, Scotty" is the sort of thing that Kirk would say, so people just assumed he did and ran around making T-shirts about it.  

To qualify as a Mandela Effect, it has to be remembered in specific detail and by multiple people.  So "Beam me up Scotty" would be Mandela Effect if a lot of people could point to a specific moment in a specific episode when they clearly recall Kirk saying "Beam me  up, Scotty" but it's nowhere to be found. 

As an example, I've seen a Mandela Effect video or two where the guy claims that a couple of specific verses in the KJV Bible were altered because he remembers them differently.

I suppose some examples of the Mandela effect would be...though this would not encompass everyone, just some people to this effect...

The idea that Lincoln started the Civil War as an official declaration as such over slavery and that originally the Civil War was declared to be about slavery (secession and the original reason Lincoln stated that he started the War are two different items).

George Washington cut down a tree and then told his father about it.

The Great Depression in the US ended because of Roosevelt's reforms in the late 30s.  (I would say in some of the definitions used today, the depression actually may have been considered to end earlier...but it's erosion on workforce and other factors lingered far longer meaning the US didn't actually recover for quite some time, most would consider that AFTER 1939).

Hitler committed the greatest genocide in the History of the 20th century with the Holocaust.  (The Great Leap Forward probably has that in spades, though for those under Chinese propaganda that do not consider that Genocide...there is also the Generalplan Ost which is more than likely to have been greater than the Holocaust...though there are some that debate this.  Holodomor was also pretty bad.  Unironically General Plan Ost could also be blamed on Hitler.  If one includes GeneralPlan Ost as part of the Holocaust, it qualifies and the Holocaust was the greatest genocide of the 20th century [though the holocaust would then be a generic mass killing rather than focused on a specific wiping out of people]...but ONLY if you disqualify the Great Leap Forward).

Edited by JohnsonJones

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:32 PM, JohnsonJones said:

I suppose some examples of the Mandela effect would be...though this would not encompass everyone, just some people to this effect...

The idea that Lincoln started the Civil War as an official declaration as such over slavery and that originally the Civil War was declared to be about slavery (secession and the original reason Lincoln stated that he started the War are two different items).

George Washington cut down a tree and then told his father about it.

The Great Depression in the US ended because of Roosevelt's reforms in the late 30s.  (I would say in some of the definitions used today, the depression actually may have been considered to end earlier...but it's erosion on workforce and other factors lingered far longer meaning the US didn't actually recover for quite some time, most would consider that AFTER 1939).

Hitler committed the greatest genocide in the History of the 20th century with the Holocaust.  (The Great Leap Forward probably has that in spades, though for those under Chinese propaganda that do not consider that Genocide...there is also the Generalplan Ost which is more than likely to have been greater than the Holocaust...though there are some that debate this.  Holodomor was also pretty bad.  Unironically General Plan Ost could also be blamed on Hitler.  If one includes GeneralPlan Ost as part of the Holocaust, it qualifies and the Holocaust was the greatest genocide of the 20th century [though the holocaust would then be a generic mass killing rather than focused on a specific wiping out of people]...but ONLY if you disqualify the Great Leap Forward).

I'd say those examples are more historical revisionism than the Mandela Effect.

People seem to paint Mandela as a hero but he was not.  It seems Nelson Mandela's true past has also been erased in the history books in my opinion.  

Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party.  At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station.  Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists.