Why We Need to Pay Attention to God’s Habit of Defying Expectations

I think God takes great joy in behaving in unexpected, almost oxymoronic ways. Society, logic, and even scripture sometimes seem to indicate one outcome, and God reveals Himself in another, unexpected, way (sometimes the complete opposite way). For example... God's "oxymorons" (for lack of a better word) One would naturally think that in order to have a fulfilling life, one must solely focus on improving one's own life. It makes so much sense it almost looks weird to write down. But Christ says, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." One would naturally think that a divine "Savior" would come in power and great glory, treading his enemies under foot. That's what many ancient Jews expected. But Jesus Christ was born in a stable and grew up as a humble carpenter. Most unexpected. One would naturally think that to be truly free, there must be no laws or rules to tether us down. James E. Faust taught the gospel truth: "Obedience leads to true...

View the full article

Guest Mores

This is really odd.  The first sentence of the article is in direct contradiction with the rest of the article.

It's not that the Lord takes delight in or "takes great joy in behaving in ... oxymoronic ways.  It is that we tend to apply mortal truths to God and wonder why He doesn't behave the way WE think He should.

God will go about doing His own work in His own way because that's what He does.  The sooner we get on board with His truth and His ideals, the more easily we understand Him and can even guess what He will do next.

This is essentially what the article said.  But I wonder how one starts an article with the statement it does, and then goes a completely direction.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:25 AM, Mores said:

This is really odd.  The first sentence of the article is in direct contradiction with the rest of the article.

I couldn't even get that far.

The first sentence of the article is a very irreverent manner of talking about God.  Just reading that sentence already makes me conclude that it's another article that shows to me that 3H just publishes anything they get without editorial review... or their editorial reviewers need to go back to Sunday School in addition to journalism school.