Embarrassing likes

Guest Scott

2 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

As a teenager I really believed backmasking was a thing . . . (for the uninitiated, this was the Christian urban legend that rock bands were imbedding backwards messages in their music calling for the worship of Satan. The theory was--supposedly psychologically based--that because the message was heard backwards we could not filter it, but the words would fall in place in our subconscious).

Now that I read it...wow...yeah...that really is embarrassing. :embarrassed:

You were not wrong. http://www.ecollegetimes.com/5-famous-backwards-messages-on-records

Only you had to stop the record and push/turn it backward. I did this to an album but put the needle starting at the opposite side. No subliminal messages, just icky sound.

Some friends of mine had a VHS movie tested for subliminal images by an FBI relative of theirs. Yep, there were a LOT of subliminal images in it. Dang if I can remember the movie, but I often thought that this was a commonly used thing especially in movie theaters to get you to buy more concession foods.

Guest Scott

I don't know if this is embarrassing or not, but while visiting family, some of them watched My Little Pony.  I hated it.

As an adult however, I noticed that for some odd reason, My Little Pony goes great with Metallica and some other rock music for some reason.  It's hard to explain, but it just does.

I know this sounds weird, but here is My Little Pony with Enter Sandman.   Before you laugh and dismiss it, check it out:

Edited by Scott

10 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

And often I catch myself singing, "Don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart, I just don't think he'd understand.  . . " and THAT is something I don't even want to admit to myself.

I can't believe you just admitted that in public.  I am almost embarrassed to know you now.  :P   

Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, pam said:

Yeah that's definitely pretty embarrassing.

Geez @pam. Ever since you've been kicked out of the compound you've developed quite the acid tongue! 

😝

There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night—
Ten to make and the match to win—
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote
"Play up! play up! and play the game!"
The sand of the desert is sodden red,—
Red with the wreck of a square that broke;—
The Gatling's jammed and the Colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks,
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks:
"Play up! play up! and play the game!"
This is the word that year by year,
While in her place the school is set,
Every one of her sons must hear,
And none that hears it dare forget.
This they all with a joyful mind
Bear through life like a torch in flame,
And falling fling to the host behind—
"Play up! play up! and play the game!"*

So, though I aspired, I was never much of cricketer, and rather less of an army ensign or subaltern. But, embarrassing though it is to admit, I do like this poem. For me, it captures the spirit that won Britain her empire, caused so many of her sons to give up their lives unstintingly in the '14-'18 Great War, and allowed their survivors to give up the empire subsequent to the '39-'45 war, as Fascism was defeated.

And, I dare say, if we can revive it, it might even be the spirit that heralds in global social justice, and the decarbonising of the world's economies.

Best wishes, 2RM

*Sir John Henry Newbolt, Vitae Lampada, 1892.

Edited by 2ndRateMind

On 4/25/2019 at 12:42 PM, prisonchaplain said:

As a teenager I really believed backmasking was a thing . . . (for the uninitiated, this was the Christian urban legend that rock bands were imbedding backwards messages in their music calling for the worship of Satan. The theory was--supposedly psychologically based--that because the message was heard backwards we could not filter it, but the words would fall in place in our subconscious).

Now that I read it...wow...yeah...that really is embarrassing. :embarrassed:

And the Proctor & Gable symbol was a satanic symbol.

ProcterandGamblegd.jpg

Though backmasking is/was a real thing. It was just usually for goofs and effects, not some way to influence us subconsciously.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:12 PM, NeedleinA said:

I'm embarrassed when people take selfies in front of my guns. 😯
Arnold7-1.thumb.jpg.b6a73307f45b9103fb577bb484cd3d39.jpg

Before I read this I was thinking you were going to say fandom for Arnold was your embarrassing thing. 

Me, I have a secret, embarrassing fandom for pro-bodybuilding -- the more extreme the more intrigue.

Who does that make me a fan of, you ask?

Why Kai Greene, of course:

0K4A3386_0.jpg

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I don't understand why people would be ashamed to admit to being ABBA fans...great music.  Dressing like ABBA might be a whole different story!!

My guilty pleasure is watching kids movies ..... and once my son had grown up, offering my baby sitting services so I can go to the cinema and not look conspicuous.