Spoiler Alert: Jesus Offended a Lot of People

A few months ago, around Christmas, a man in my ward gave a talk about Jesus Christ that completely blew me away. Seriously, I've been thinking about ever since. He said something to the effect of, "You know, we talk about how Jesus Christ was so kind to everyone and how He loved everyone, but the reality is that He actually offended a lot of people because He cared more about the truth than being liked." If you could have seen my face when he said that, you'd have been like, "Ew," because my eyes were probably bulging out of my head and my mouth was likely wide open. I mean, honestly, my personal mantra is basically the Michael Scott quote, "Would I rather be feared or loved? Uhm... easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me," so the idea of someone not liking me? It doesn't sit well with me, to say the least. But it's true — Jesus cared way more about...

View the full article

Guest LiterateParakeet

My favorite part of this article was this quote: 

"We should be sensitive to others’ unique situations, struggles, and hardships, letting them know that we love them always. But remember that being kind doesn’t mean condoning. Jesus loved everyone, but that doesn’t mean He ever approved of sinful behavior because He didn’t. He loved people enough to tell them the truth, even when it was contrary to their lifestyle.

"Similarly, remember that Jesus didn’t typically just walk up to people and say, “You’re wrong!” Often, He pointed out others’ errors when they approached Him and asked for His advice or opinion. He wasn’t afraid to preach to anyone, but He also recognized that it’s not always the appropriate time or place to do so — so don’t think that just because Jesus offended people, that it gives us license to offer our unsolicited opinions on others’ lives or choices."