Patriarchal blessing name

Janey

Has anyone ever had a name of someone you actually know in your Patriarchal blessing andif so what does that mean and have you had whatever blessing said about that person come to pass? My boyfriends name was said in my Patriarchal blessing yesterday so that makes me wonder. I never heard of a living persons name in a blessing before. 

1 hour ago, Janey said:

Has anyone ever had a name of someone you actually know in your Patriarchal blessing andif so what does that mean and have you had whatever blessing said about that person come to pass? My boyfriends name was said in my Patriarchal blessing yesterday so that makes me wonder. I never heard of a living persons name in a blessing before. 

I believe patriarchal blessings are intended for personal spiritual assistance - sometimes of family importance (I have my parents blessings - they have passed).  If there is something in your blessing that is not in anyone else's blessing should be of no surprise - especially to you.  If you have questions and seek greater understanding you ought to seek the spirit by which the blessing was given.  I would say this - some "answers" may not be fully understood for many many years.

The Traveler

Guest LiterateParakeet

Janey, I haven't heard of that before, but as Anddenex alluded to, really you are the one entitled to revelation about your blessing

Ponder, pray, repeat.

There are a couple of things that are expected to be in all patriarchal blessings (lineage, blessed to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection), but as far as I'm aware there are no expectations of things that shouldn't be there.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:10 AM, Janey said:

May I ask - Why are you asking? Are you curious as to whether this is a valid revelation? 

Edited by Alaris

Guest Mores
14 hours ago, Janey said:

I'm asking because it is so unusual and I've never heard of it before. Plus it is so specific.

I haven't heard of an actual live person's name before.  But I have heard of things just as specific -- i.e. describing a person of a particular role in their lives (a relative or advisor or long time friend, etc.).  Never heard of a particular name like this.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:10 PM, Janey said:

My wife's patriarchal blessing tells her of a calling that her husband will have in the future, but it does not identify who her husband will be.  I knew a missionary in the MTC at the same time as me who's patriarchal blessing told him the career he would/should pursue (Aerospace Engineering); that was an interesting bit of uniqueness.  Everyone's blessing is personal and each is different.

My husband’s patriarchal blessing includes a line about bringing other worlds to Christ.  His praying and pondering revealed it to be another country.  So he believed he will be sent on a foreign mission.  Well, he ended up leaving the church prior to being mission age so he figured his patriarchal blessing is toast.  He already blew it.  Well, we got married, and I got baptized, then I was informed to prepare for a Patriarchal blessing so I ordered a copy of my husband’s blessing from Salt Lake so I can read it.  I read that line and told my husband, I’m in your blessing!  I’m Filipino and my husband and I just got several of my ancestors baptized at the temple.

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

My husband’s patriarchal blessing includes a line about bringing other worlds to Christ.  His praying and pondering revealed it to be another country.  So he believed he will be sent on a foreign mission.  Well, he ended up leaving the church prior to being mission age so he figured his patriarchal blessing is toast.  He already blew it.  Well, we got married, and I got baptized, then I was informed to prepare for a Patriarchal blessing so I ordered a copy of my husband’s blessing from Salt Lake so I can read it.  I read that line and told my husband, I’m in your blessing!  I’m Filipino and my husband and I just got several of my ancestors baptized at the temple.

That is soo cool!

I've never heard of it happening either. Granted, I've only read like 5 patriarchal blessings in my life. None of them mentioned someone else living by name (except the name of the person receiving the blessing). Sounds like a great gift of specificity the Lord has given you. I'm curious if you came to the blessing hoping to be told something specific. I'm also curious if this patriarch is new to his calling.
My blessing is quite vague in a lot of areas. I mean, I love it and am so glad I have it, but there's pretty much nothing in there that tips me off to any specific life choices other than basic things we all know that are part of God's Eternal plan for all His children (getting married, having children, serving others, etc.). The general principles in my blessing have been spot on. As I look back, I can see better what the Lord meant in some of the things He told me. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/9/2019 at 6:33 AM, person0 said:

My wife's patriarchal blessing tells her of a calling that her husband will have in the future, but it does not identify who her husband will be.  I knew a missionary in the MTC at the same time as me who's patriarchal blessing told him the career he would/should pursue (Aerospace Engineering); that was an interesting bit of uniqueness.  Everyone's blessing is personal and each is different.

Gosh, I know we aren't supposed to covet or be jealous, but OMG I would have loved to have such a direct answer as to vocation. Repenting now for my coveting. :(

On 5/9/2019 at 6:33 AM, person0 said:

A little story her.  I was told some specific things in my PB about my vocation.  In all my attempts to understand at the time - I determined that I was being encouraged to become a teacher.  It did seem odd for my skill set but after much meditation, prayer and other things - I determined to become a science and math teacher.  There was a problem - unknown at the time, I am dyslexic which presented a spelling deficiency.  I ended up failing a remedial spelling course 3 semesters in a row and forbidden by the teaching department from pursuing a teaching career.  This epoch made no sense.  Always in the past I was able to find a way to at least get "B's" in classes outside my wheelhouse (math & science) - just not in this spelling class.

After counseling with some prominent faculty members at BYU I finished my studies in math and physics - thinking I could find some way to fulfill the recommendations of my PB concerning my profession.  Perhaps I lost my way a little because after college I went to work for the defence department developing advanced weapon systems; convinced that perhaps there was a error in my PB.  

After a few years, I was offered a position in the field of automation, robotics and artificial intelligence and have remained in that industry ever since.  I was not going to say what my PB recommended but in writing this little bit - I have had a change of mind.  I was told to pursue a vocation of service to my fellow man rather than to utilize my talents for earning a living for myself and family.  I am not sure to this day if I have yet fulfilled and honored my calling in life - but I have always hoped to be of some service to humanity.  It is interesting that one of the patents I developed for the defense department is currently being utilized in satellite communication technology and another in the commercial aircraft industry.  Most of what I have developed for the automation industry is being upgraded (a nice word for replaced).  I have often pondered if my vocation services will have anything left  by time I die?  It all seemed so important at the time?

The Traveler

7 hours ago, Traveler said:

I ended up failing a remedial spelling course 3 semesters in a row and forbidden by the teaching department from pursuing a teaching career.  This epoch made no sense.  Always in the past I was able to find a way to at least get "B's" in classes outside my wheelhouse (math & science) - just not in this spelling class.

I don't pretend to have any divine insight into your blessing but just to throw a thought out there. It sounds to me like you did "pursue" a vocation in service, something that, like you said, was obviously not what you would have chosen according to your strengths. Perhaps it was simply an Abrahamic test of sorts and the Lord was pleased with your willingness. Of course I could be completely wrong but I guess my bigger point is that sometimes things aren't quite what we think they are and only in hindsight do we come to understand them.