Life and lifestyle stuff

2ndRateMind

So, following the UN report, published today, if we all keep on living the way we live now, we can expect up to a million species to go extinct pretty rapidly, real soon now. I wonder if this might be of interest to Latter Day Saints, and what might be your reaction to this challenge? Do we have dominion over, or custodianship of, the natural world?

Best wishes, 2RM.

19 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

We have also been warned about following false prophets.

So @estradling75 I am not convinced that this is in the nature of a religious prophecy, more an inevitable projection of current trends in consumption of energy and land, sea, and atmospheric usage. We live in a finite world; and it makes complete sense to me to take that fact into consideration when calculating how best we might live out our lives.

As for climate change, and it's effects; there is little doubt and overriding consensus amongst climate scientists that the earth is warming, due to human activity. The question is: how will that affect us? Whatever answer you come up with, from more severe storms, to the eradication of coral reefs, to increasingly large and barren desert areas, we can be sure that such effects wlll be unwelcome.

To tie these two phenomena together; if we lose wild habitat that contributes to climate change (fewer tress, more atmospheric carbon). And, in turn, climate change contributes to a loss of habitat. There is a vicious cycle of irreversible decline threatened, here. I hope your own preps, at least, are in good order.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Edited by 2ndRateMind

Just now, 2ndRateMind said:

So @estradling75 I am not convinced that this is in the nature of a religious prophecy, more an inevitable projection of current trends in consumption of energy and land, sea, and atmospheric usage. We live in a finite world; and it makes complete sense to me to take that fact into consideration when calculating how best we might live out our lives.

Best wishes, 2RM.

You are missing the point... You are all in a lather about "millions" going extinct...  Based on what?... "Expert's Claims"  the same "Experts" that claimed we would be under four feet of water by now.  You are trying to shame me in to silence for pointing out the emperor of Climate change has no clothes and it is not going to work.

Like @Just_A_Guy and I have already mention we are stewards... That means making sure I am doing things wisely so the earth can continue to support me... and my kids... and my grand kids... and my great grand kids... and so on...   That wisdom includes not jumping on every passing fad and avoiding being played for a fool by anyone with a line to sell.

19 hours ago, estradling75 said:

You are missing the point... You are all in a lather about "millions" going extinct...  Based on what?... "Expert's Claims"  the same "Experts" that claimed we would be under four feet of water by now.  You are trying to shame me in to silence for pointing out the emperor of Climate change has no clothes and it is not going to work.

Like @Just_A_Guy and I have already mention we are stewards... That means making sure I am doing things wisely so the earth can continue to support me... and my kids... and my grand kids... and my great grand kids... and so on...   That wisdom includes not jumping on every passing fad and avoiding being played for a fool by anyone with a line to sell.

Based on the UN report, which, we can be sure is in turn based on rigorous, credible, academically respectable, research.

And I'm not sure environmentalism is a just passing fad. I've been voting green for some 35 years now, and I have to say, if more people had done likewise, we would not be challenged by the radical lifestyle changes we need to make so urgently right now. But they didn't, and we are, and I remain interested in how Latter Day Saints plan to address this issue. So far, I gather, you think 'Not at all!'. Correct me if I am wrong.

Best wishes, 2RM

Edited by 2ndRateMind

9 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

Hmmm. Not sure environmentalism is a passing fad.

Lets see... First is was Global Cooling.... Then it was Global Warming... Now it is Climate Change...  There was Carbon Footprint and now Mass Extinction events...  All fads that Claim the title of Environmentalism...

12 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

I've been voting green for some 35 years now, and I have to say, if more people had done likewise, we would not be challenged by the radical lifestyle changes we need to make so urgently right now.

Oh... Like how we radical lifestyle changes we urgently needed in 1980 to keep from being under 4 feet of water by 2000.

Here is a protip...  If you are going to Trust Experts... remember actions speak louder then words...  When they are Flying on private Jets and living in McMansions they show they do not believe it either... When they start riding bikes and living in micro housing and otherwise making the Urgent and Radical Lifestyle you are taking about... Then you know they believe it too.

16 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

But they didn't, and we are, and I remain interested in how Latter Day Saints plan to address this issue. So far, I gather, you think 'Not at all!'. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong... And you are once again bait and switching...  Being Good Stewards is how we have answered your inquiry...  But that is not what you want to hear so you monster paint us as to not caring at all.

Since this is your trend and it is clear you are not really interested in us (as always) but rather trumpeting your own ideas.  I am done.

Hmmm. The fact that I am interested in conversation with you, and trying to establish your views on various matters, does not mean that I forego the right to challenge those views if they seem to me to require further justification or explanation.

Best wishes, 2RM.

17 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

Hmmm. The fact that I am interested in conversation with you, and trying to establish your views on various matters, does not mean that I forego the right to challenge those views if they seem to me to require further justification or explanation.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Except that you didn't challenge them, brother.  It looks like they were ignored.  It was stated that we are to be good stewards of the Earth, and you then said the response was "not at all."  

"Be good stewards" =/= "do nothing at all" regardless of what it actually means.

And that's why @estradling75 is frustrated.  (If I may presume to speak for him.)

Edited by unixknight

Hmmm. Well there we go. You guys are allowed to dismiss the concern about the potential extinction of up to a million species as just some passing fad, but I am not allowed to infer from this attitude that in practice, your 'good stewardship' is meaningless because it leads to no effective activity.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Edited by 2ndRateMind

18 hours ago, unixknight said:

Except that you didn't challenge them, brother.  It looks like they were ignored.  It was stated that we are to be good stewards of the Earth, and you then said the response was "not at all."  

"Be good stewards" =/= "do nothing at all" regardless of what it actually means.

And that's why @estradling75 is frustrated.  (If I may presume to speak for him.)

Indeed...  He ignores our points.. and has historically distorted when he does address them (To monster painting levels) to fit his own purpose.

Take for his example his claim of millions species going extinct.  His only proof of this is "Expert" prediction.  When it is pointed out that the same "Experts" predicted we would be under 4 feet of water by year 2000 and therefore "Expert" predictions have serious credibility problem.  He does not address that at all.  He demands that we all be a naive as him... and when we are not he accuses us of not taking effective action.    Effective action =/= Run around 'Doing Something' based on uncredible claims

I'm not ignoring your points. I am just not convinced you have made any that are pertinent to the substance of the discussion. When you stop attacking me, and start addressing the issue, you will find I am more than willing to engage.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Guest Mores
18 hours ago, unixknight said:

Except that you didn't challenge them, brother.  It looks like they were ignored.  You ignored them completely and went on a rambling.

FIFY.

Guest Mores
4 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

I'm not completely ignoring your points because I am just not convinced you have made any that are  can't admit your points pertinent to the substance of the discussion. When you stop attacking me,  and start  So I'll continue to attack you and everyone on this board rather than addressing the issue your more convincing agruments, you will find I am more than because I'm not willing to engage the truth.

Best wishes, 2RM.

FIFY

Guest Mores
1 minute ago, 2ndRateMind said:

So, I don't think it at all necessary for you to characterise an exchange of views in such pejorative terms. I reserve that right for myself.

Best wishes, 2RM.

FIFY

Guest Mores
1 minute ago, 2ndRateMind said:

Uh huh. But don't put words in my mouth.Only I'm allowed to do that. I can substantiate all I have said. And so can you.  But I don't want to listen enough to see that.  Does 'Good Stewardship' actually mean anything only means those things I agree with, and what specific activities has the concept lead to which I acknowledge.

Best wishes, 2RM.

FIFY

@Mores, if you want to talk to yourself, that's fine by me. I would just note that according to folklore, it is the first sign of madness. When you wish to return to the real world, however, you will find me ready and willing to discuss.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Edited by 2ndRateMind

Guest MormonGator

People who claim the environment is within ten years of collapsing/five years of collapsing/three minutes of collapsing remind me of Harold Camping, that preacher who predicted the end of the world about eight times. Virtually all of us laugh at Harold Camping, but the elite don't laugh about environmentalists who preach the same gospel, but about a different topic. Environmentalism is religion for atheists. 

Guest Mores
4 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

@Mores, if you want to talk to yourself, that's fine by me. I realize I'm just talking to myself.  I was never really interested in what anyone else says.  That's why I just ignore anything I disagree with. I would just note that according to folklore, It is the first sign of my madness. When you I wish to return to the real world, however, you will find me ready and willing to discuss so I can have a meaningful discussion.

Best wishes, 2RM.

9 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

People who claim the environment is within ten years of collapsing/five years of collapsing/three minutes of collapsing remind me of Harold Camping, that preacher who predicted the end of the world about eight times. Virtually all of us laugh at Harold Camping, but the elite don't laugh about environmentalists who preach the same gospel, but about a different topic. Environmentalism is religion for atheists. 

Perhaps because there is a significant difference between religious convictions and forecasts grounded on evidence extrapolated by science.

I reject, also, the notion that environmentalism is a religion for for atheists. There may be some atheists who are environmentalists, but the moral issue that confronts us; what kind of world do we intend to leave as legacy for our children? seems to me to cross all religious boundaries. I find, as a Christian, no problem with environmentalism, and I am at a loss to understand the hostility this thread has provoked.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Edited by 2ndRateMind