Married in the Temple Unworthily

I have a question that I am asking for a friend because I am unsure of what advice to give her. She got sealed in the temple to her husband almost 2 years ago. They had broken the law of chastity before marriage and never got it cleared up with a bishop or anything like that. They are currently temple workers in one of the temples, but she is feeling guilty about the past. Should she go to her bishop? What sort of consequences would they have and what would the process look like?

I also wanted to add that she said they broke the law of chastity for a few months about 4 years ago, then they both stopped but did not go to their bishop. They prayed and asked for forgiveness and discontinued the sin. Does that make a difference?

Edited by doe.jane

They should go to their Bishop immediately.  The consequence will be that they will follow the repentance process their Bishop is inspired to administer, and ultimately they will be cleansed from sin, having a burden lifted and becoming clean and worthy again in the eyes of the Lord.

They should not delay their repentance one more second, she should call or contact her Bishop tonight, if possible.  In all seriousness and sincerity, one of them could die in a car accident tomorrow with the stain of this sin still upon them as they enter the Spirit World.  There is nothing that could make it more valuable to wait any longer!

The bishop is a spiritual doctor, to help a person access Christ and His atonement.  Every individual's path is different, but here's the base outline:

- "Robin" sets up an appointment with the Bishop, usually thinking that this is so embarrassing and being a horrible mess of guilt/anxiety/pain.

- Robin sits down with the Bishop, and just tells him.  The Bishop is completely unphased, because he's heard the same story before from several different people.

- The Bishop helps Robin realize that he/she is a child of God, and helps them best access the atonement. 

- In the end, Robin is clean and he/she knows it.  That poisonous guilt/anxiety/pain is gone, replaced with the joy of being clean again & the love of Christ.

22 minutes ago, doe.jane said:

Should she go to her bishop?

Yes, because there's no other way to fix this.  There is absolutely no benefit to delaying.

What sort of consequences would they have?

Dunno.  Depends on the way they approach it.  (Hint: Be sincere and repentant.)

what would the process look like?

See above for what it looks like, but Spoiler alert:  The ending is they feel a whole lot better and can put all that behind them forever.

• 4 weeks later...

Every time I see these threads it really makes me want to be very clear to my youth class on how to repent. 

43 By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will aconfess them and bforsake them.

Without complete repentance--which includes confession--there never was complete forgiveness. 

Edited by faithful_father